Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looks like my season is done for

WakeGirl

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• stewart

• jetskipro550

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooohhh, Tracie that really stinks. Man we are sorry to hear that it is this bad, I am shocked. Shocking.gif It never turned any cool colors out on the house boat. We will be thinking about you and hoping it’s not as bad as it could be.

We will embrace your transition back to slalom skiing and look forward to many dawn patrol runs with you and Slider.

Oh man I fugured it was something since it hadn't got better, but was certainly hoping it was just some soreness. That stinks you'll miss a good portion of the ski season Mad.gif

Phil,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Innocent.gif

Ouch Tracie! Here's wishing you faster than normal healing.

Bummer. Serious skills = Hospital Bills

At least you didn't hurt yourself doing something lame. You have a good story to go along with your injury.

Will this affect your ability to wait on Beavis and I hand and foot when we suddenly show up at your place to snowboard this season? :lol:

Ooohhh, Tracie that really stinks. Man we are sorry to hear that it is this bad, I am shocked. Shocking.gif It never turned any cool colors out on the house boat. We will be thinking about you and hoping it’s not as bad as it could be.

We will embrace your transition back to slalom skiing and look forward to many dawn patrol runs with you and Slider.

Oh man I fugured it was something since it hadn't got better, but was certainly hoping it was just some soreness. That stinks you'll miss a good portion of the ski season Mad.gif

Phil,

I couldn't have said it better myself. Innocent.gif

Yea, you would have misspelled half of it, and forgot a few words Tease2.gif

Tracie, [big hug] so sorry to hear about you surgery & pain. You'll be in our thoughts

Edited by SacRiverRat

Holy Cow! I can't believe that. I feel really bad especially since I was the one pulling you.... Next time were bring you down to 19 and a 80ft rope. You won't be able to jump that Tease.gif

I hope it heals quickly. I know it sucks, but it will be over quickly. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I'm sure Kim will join you on the surf runs. And Sky Skiing will be fun as well. But oddly enough, I don't see you slalom skiing...... You can't launch 10ft straight up on a slalom ski or can you?

I knew I could count on you guys to keep my spirits up. The slalom comments are funny to say the least! :lol:

I went for a wake crossing, really just a warmup since it was only the second jump of the day. I got really crossed up in the air, really nose high (think of 33% of a backroll, but unintentional) - looking back I launched with way too much weight on my rear foot, a bad habit that I sometimes fall into. My mistake was trying to get the board back under me, I wasn't squared up & landed still very nose high. My rear leg took all of the impact & I could feel it compress on my foot. Stewart could give you a nice description of it. :) Anyway, I knew immediately that it was bad, but had no idea how bad. When they came back around for me it was the old, "get this board off as quickly as possible" routine.

I do appreciate the encouraging comments on not giving up, & I will hold on to them. I just do this to myself with such frequency that it's getting a little old, & even in high school when I was a 3-sport athlete I never broke myself with this kind of frequency. I'm tired of it & I'm tired of having to depend so heavily on my family when it happens. I'm very, very blessed to have such a great group of guys here at home (slider is awesome & the boys have been too). It's really not fair to them.

Anyway, I am going to be tieing up some loose ends before Wednesday, & probably won't be on the board much after that, at least to start with. I'm currently looking for a good deal on a laptop to work from when I'm on the couch since I'm pretty sure that sitting at my desk won't be an option. :unsure:

EDIT: Stewart, you're right about the slalom. It just doesn't interest me. I pick it back up every few years & usually a couple of runs is enough to jog my memory of why I don't do it anymore. Don't worry about the pull, I would have done that behind anyone's boat. Usually it's our own that I hurt myself behind.

"get this board off as quickly as possible" routine.

That must have been the worst part. Those bindings are so tight. I hope you heal fast.

Sorry to hear about your accident Tracie. Don't think of your season as over if you can help it. Gettin out on the boat driving or just being a passenger with everyone else riding is still a good day to me. Let it heal right.

"get this board off as quickly as possible" routine.

That must have been the worst part. Those bindings are so tight. I hope you heal fast.

Just in case this type of thing happens to somebody else and taking the boot off is too painful to think about, you could try the following... Unscrew the boots from the board to get the unfortunate preson back on board and then if needed cut the laces near the top in order to unlace the boot completely prior to removal from foot.

Mike

Tracie, do you know SGY? I'm pretty sure that you two must have met sometime because everyone around him has been hurt this summer. My injury was a minor one, most of the people have broken bones. That just goes to show me how tough a slalom skier is.

Dam wakeboards! Hurting everyone.....

You'll get to enjoy that nice home theatre now, and you'll get to have your kids wait on you and fix quality food like PBJ and Mac n cheese. The good life....

I got really crossed up in the air, really nose high (think of 33% of a backroll, but unintentional) - looking back I launched with way too much weight on my rear foot, a bad habit that I sometimes fall into. My mistake was trying to get the board back under me, I wasn't squared up & landed still very nose high. My rear leg took all of the impact & I could feel it compress on my foot.

Did something very similar back in 1993 or 94 on my Hyperlite Shapiro... I cracked that little ball / socket on the inside of your ankle in half, almost like an egg. Getting the high wraps off after that was less than pleasant. Good luck on the recovery.

Tracie, Who look at your foot? Dr Hinz & Holmboe are great surgeons....Would recommend one of those if possible!

Dr. Askew at Desert Orthopedics. Turns out that we know quite a few people that he's worked on as well as somebody that works close to him, he's quite good by all accounts.

Tracie, sorry to hear about your leg :( Being from the NW (and stopping my season last summer around this time) I know how frustrating and miserable it is not to be able to be out in the boat and enjoying the little bit of summer that we have. I hope that your recovery is quick, painless, and (if possible) not boring!!! Best of luck to you and your family as you guys go through all of this.

BTW: make sure that you have subscriptions to wakeboarding magazine, waterski mag, and all the others to help you make it through :)

Tracie,

Just ran across this thread. Don't know where i've been.

I'm so sorry for your injury. Chris and I both hope you have the quickest of recoveries. Keep your chin up and do as the doctors ask, and you'll be back on your feet sooner than you think.

Best wishes.

Tracie -

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, a true bummer and I am sorry to hear the news. Please make sure your orthopedic surgeon gives you copies of the pictures, they are so crazy. We can start and orthopedic surgery photo thread!

Tracie, do you know SGY? I'm pretty sure that you two must have met sometime because everyone around him has been hurt this summer. My injury was a minor one, most of the people have broken bones. That just goes to show me how tough a slalom skier is.

Dam wakeboards! Hurting everyone.....

:biteme:

Actually, Tracie is probably lucky she doesn't know me--it would have been much worse.

Tracie--get well soon. You'll be up and running in a blink of an eye.

I am pretty sure you don't like country, but if you do just listen to this song over and over while you recover Biggrin.gif

Well, you know those times when you feel like

There's a sign there on your back.

Says: "I don't mind if you kick me;

"Seems like everybody has."

Things go from bad to worse:

You think they can't get worse than that an' then they do.

You step off the straight an' narrow,

An' you don't know where you are.

Use the needle of your compass,

To sew up your broken heart.

Ask directions from a genie,

In a bottle of Jim Beam an' she lies to you.

Well, that's when you learn the truth:

If you're goin' through hell,

Keep on goin'.

Don't slow down:

If you're scared don't show it.

You might get out,

'Fore the devil even knows you're there.

Well, I've been deep down in that darkness,

I been down to my last match.

Felt a hundred different demons,

Breathin' fire down my back.

An' I knew that if I stumbled,

I'd fall right into the trap that they were layin', yeah.

But the good news is there's angels,

Everywhere out on the street.

Holdin' out a hand,

To pull you back up on your feet:

The one's that you been draggin' so long,

You're on your knees; you might as well be prayin'.

Guess what I'm sayin':

If you're goin' through hell,

Keep on goin'.

Don't slow down:

If you're scared don't show it.

You might get out,

Yeah, if you're goin' through hell,

Keep on movin'.

Face that fire:

Walk right through it.

You might get out,

Oooh....

Tracie, sorry to hear about your foot. Best of luck on your surgery and rehab. I just came out from under the knife YESTERDAY from a restruction of both ACL and MCL. My doc told my wife that I damaged everything in my knee. Luckily, the doc is a high school friend of mine and the best ortho surgeon in the area. He's taking care of me BIG TIME. Enough about my stuff, though, and sorry if I've missed something in skipping to the back after reading your second post. You said that you were going to give up the board and work on surf, skate, and sky ski. All I have to say is, "rethink that skate thing." That's how I jacked my knee. I'm a skinny stick guy and was just goofing off on the wakeskate, nothing crazy. Landing with one foot on and one foot off of the skate is an injury waiting to happen. I had a notion of that before my accident but a half-lost ski season and a "it will be a year before your knee is back to where it was three weeks ago" from my doc is enough to convince me to give up the skate. However, if you don't agree with my opinion and still want to skate, I will give you mine. I'm getting rid of it and will only give it to someone who is aware of the risks.

This business of having screws installed and munching percocets is for the birds! Mad.gifMad.gif