Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HTX6 vs Javelin

Jasvols83

Can someone clarify which amp would give me more output? I currently own a Javelin amp from a previous boat and am about to take delivery of a new boat with the WS HTX6 and am trying to decide which would be better for my setup. Either amp will be running 3 pairs of 6.5 XS650s and a 10 inch WS sub. The sub will eventually be changed to most like a JL12W3. I am leaning Javelin bc of the potential sub output but does the HTX not give me more output to my 6.5s?

26 minutes ago, Jasvols83 said:

Either amp will be running 3 pairs of 6.5 XS650s

This is going to be a wash. Two chnls running about 100W to each speaker and two chnls running 150W /2 with a 75W rms net to each speaker. Gained to match front and rear chnls.

The HTX6 will deliver 300W to a 4 ohm woofer, where as the jav will deliver 500W or 800W to a 2 ohm. With the given woofer, the 200W difference is nice head room, but may not equate to an audible difference as it would likely be gained in the 400-450 range in reality. 

31 minutes ago, Jasvols83 said:

The sub will eventually be changed to most like a JL12W3

Here is where the extra potential is a plus. I would consider leaving the HTX-6 in place and dedicating it to all 3 pair of in-boats for a 100W rms to each. Then trade/sell the 5 chnl and go with something like the Wet Sounds HTX-1 and get the 12W3-2. More than enough wattage for the 12W3 and bump for the in-boats. 

Either way, go with the 2 ohm 12w3 or a 2 ohm of whatever you decide.