Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge cleaner

SkiPablo

Hi Guys,  my boat has a manual wedge - appears to be light black in color - what is best to clean it with - some oxidation or calcium on it, etc.

also, should the wedge go up and down easily or should it be stiff ?  Maybe I just need to put something on the pivot points ?

looks alot like this one:  image_url-14611-1302200726.jpg

Those braces with the pins are actually press fit into the arms of the wedge.  Take a couple rubber mallets to both sides at the same time and you'll find it'll come up and down easily again.

It's not really all that pretty when it's clean either so I never bothered much with my old one.  Just some CLR should do the trick.  If it's really old and it's never been done, then get some new wedge bolts and replace the ones you have.  At least a couple of those failures happen every year here on the forums.  I used to replace mine every 2 years just for good measure after having a failure for the first time after having it 5 years.

Paint it.  When I pulled mine to go to a floater (which is all stainless and much better looking/better design), I painted mine black.  Really helped me get top dollar for it as it looked way better after a paint job. 

On 4/1/2017 at 4:50 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Paint it.

What did you use to paint it? I don't think any paint would stay on long after its first use? That sure would make it look better on the trailer though. Yellow boat yellow trailer yellow wedge.. :rockon:

i tried some CLR and it's working but slowly - the wedge has something like mini barnacles or some kind of deposits.   it does look blacker already though :)  

13 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

What did you use to paint it? I don't think any paint would stay on long after its first use? That sure would make it look better on the trailer though. Yellow boat yellow trailer yellow wedge.. :rockon:

Whatever can of random black spray paint was laying on the shelf in my garage.  It had a couple weeks to dry before I sold it and seemed pretty solid.  No idea how well it lasted during use.

10 hours ago, martinarcher said:

That would be a great powder coat project.  

Thats seemingly the right way to do it.

I think first round I will use plastydip in a can to see how it looks. That should peel off pretty fast. If it looks good, then move to more permanent solutions.

First  I need to get those rusty fin bolts out and replaced. Dont want them sheering off again... dang wedge 

Edited by AJwakedevil