Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CRACK AT PROP SHAFT ENTRANCE!

Malibumike421

Hey guys.  I'm driving a long way to look at a response LX on Sunday in hopes of taking it home that day.  The owner has been extremely honest with me about everything and sent me at least 30 pictures of every part of the boat.  There are 2 hairline cracks, one going rearward and one going forward from the prop shaft entry a couple inches either way.  Other than that the boat is immaculate and seems to have been unkept exceptionally.  How badly should I be worried about this? Thanks. 

Mike 

If the outside crack is just a hairline, look at the fiberglass on the inside by the shaft. If that looks smooth and there are no light (stressed) or cracked areas it should be OK.

If outside crack has some width to it then there may be a problem.

In any case, one thing to do is spin the prop by hand. Resistance should be constant all the way around.

Well for good or for bad the bot didn't end up working out.   I was just about to leave to drive 9 hours to go see the boat and the owner called me and said he went to uncover it and get it ready for me to see after storing it for the winter and when he started it the engine block cracked over the winter.  So now I'm back on the hunt. Glad it didn't happen after I bought it but I was really looking forward to this boat.   It's pretty slim pickings for a Malibu open bow under 15k that's in any sort of decent condition. 

Hey guys.  I got a call today from the owner of this boat.  He is installing a re manufactured engine from jasper with an extended 3 year warranty.  He wants to know if I'm still interested since we were just about to close the deal he wanted to tell me first.  I've done some research on jasper engines on here but most posts are all older and I was wondering if someone had any new insight on the motors.  Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

mike.