Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Problems 2013 VLX - Help Needed

Our 2013 VLX has always had some issues with the maliview since the boat was new. First, the screen was always grainy looking like you are watching a tv with poor reception. This was brought to the dealers attention immediately, and the dealer nor malibu ever determined the cause. Fast forward, the maliview was completely replaced once under warranty due to similar issues you will see in the videos below. In the videos you will see the maliview flashing through screens like you were actually pushing the buttons. It will even modify and create its own presets or you click on one preset and it starts a different one. Of course we brought this up last season before it was out of warranty and our service manager is working with malibu to try and correct the problem. At our winterization appointment, the dealer did a complete hard reset of the maliview and whatever runs the system as directed by malibu. We just got the boat going for the spring and the same problems started almost immediately. We have contacted our service manager who is contacting malibu but at this time the dealer has no solutions. I am hoping malibu helps take care of this situation especially since these problems started well before the warranty was up. The reason I am posting is to see if anyone else had similar problems and/or issues with their maliviews on similar era boats and if there was a solution. Thanks so much for your help.

That looks frustrating........I had some issues with my first Maliview but not that bad.  I have asked my dealer what they would do about future issues when I was close to the end of my warranty and things were still being replaced in my boat.  They said they would work with me to make it right on items that have been replaced and items with documented issues (before the warranty was expired) if I continued to have problems after warranty period ended.  Hopefully your dealer will do similar.  By the looks of things, your replacement unit has the exact same problem as the original, I wonder if they replaced it again if that would fix it?  Makes me wonder if they use refurbished Maliviews in some of these, and problems just never get fixed.

I also feel like Malibu never works out all the kinks before they move on the next latest and greatest feature.  They abandon the previous version just like with this maliview and move onto the touchscreen maliview without perfecting the first one.

• Like 1

I had some issues with mine and Malibu sent some updated firmware to me via e-mal that fixed mine nothing like you are experiencing though just my voltage wasn't reading correctly.  

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

I also feel like Malibu never works out all the kinks before they move on the next latest and greatest feature.  They abandon the previous version just like with this maliview and move onto the touchscreen maliview without perfecting the first one.

Agreed.  And I just noticed that we more than likely have the same dealer......I miss Vince, he was the best for customer service.  Hopefully since they know that you have had issues in the past with the same faulty system they will help you out.  I got a gel ding when I winterized last Fall.  I found it when I got to my storage facility, and I know it was something new as I detailed my boat for about 5 hours before bringing it in for service.  I immediately took pictures and sent them to the service department manager and was told "we'll look at it in the Spring". Vince would have owned up immediately and apologized, and offered to correct the problem.  

22 hours ago, Sixer said:

Agreed.  And I just noticed that we more than likely have the same dealer......I miss Vince, he was the best for customer service.  Hopefully since they know that you have had issues in the past with the same faulty system they will help you out.  I got a gel ding when I winterized last Fall.  I found it when I got to my storage facility, and I know it was something new as I detailed my boat for about 5 hours before bringing it in for service.  I immediately took pictures and sent them to the service department manager and was told "we'll look at it in the Spring". Vince would have owned up immediately and apologized, and offered to correct the problem.  

I couldn't agree more, Vince was the absolute best and was the reason we bought a second Malibu. Our 09 vlx was kind of a lemon but Vince took great care of us. If there was damage during service he would own up to it and fix it asap. Once you buy the boat you spend more time with service then with sales. MN Inboard not doing absolutely everything in their power to keep him was a huge mistake. I hope Mn Inboard and malibu come through with some solution for this maliview problem. It is extremely frustrating.

• 3 years later...

@RayRay, Did you or the dealer ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue on my 2013 23 LSV.  

Any chance anyone else know?  

Firmware, power, short, other????

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 9 months later...
8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Mine does that every once in a while.  Removing and replugging the RCA cable fixes it.  Unfortunately it is not the cable, seems to be the connector.

That could be a bad solder joint....

7 hours ago, justgary said:

That could be a bad solder joint....

Could be - not sure that you can actually get into the unit to check.  If it is built like the touch screen they are glued together - no case screws.