Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 AXIS A22 Won't Start, Monsoon 350 Injectors?

muddyriverwater

Wish I could be of more help but you have already tested the high probability items. Assuming that you have done all the tests correctly, you have compression, fuel and spark. With those three items the engine would fire unless it is badly out of time, wires are crossed, bad connection, broken wire or a failing sensor or control module. The list is long and without actually being there, anything that I recommended from this point forward would be total speculation. 

To answer your question, yes it can be a failing coil or loose/corroded connection. In my opinion, the coil is a low probability option and the corroded or loose connection is a much higher probability. 

If it were me I would do the following in this order:

1. Undo any thing that was done since last year. Which now includes  checking the firing order of the plug wires, confirming that the distributor cap and rotor are placed back on in the right orientation.

2. Remove and wire brush the ground on the engine block and the battery and re tighten the ground at both locations. 

3.  After trying to start, Pull out one spark plug and check to make sure that it is getting fuel (it should be damp on the tip) but make sure that it isn't fouled. If you changed the plugs, make sure the spark plug gap is correct. 

4. Check for loose and corroded terminals and melted it broke wires.

5. I would get a spay can of starting fluid (not gas) and spay a small amount into the air intake while the engine is cranking.  I do not recommend that any body do this because it can backfire and cause engine damage and catch you on fire. But, being the hillbilly that I am, it is something that I still do. If I could get it to fire off but it dies, I would know that the engine wasn't getting gas or had a weak spark. If it it doesn't fire at all then I focus on the ignition and timing. 

6. Assuming a no fire situation,  check for spark by removing a plug again and use a spark checker.  This should also tell you the general strength of your spark as well to be able to rule out a very week spark .

7. After confirming spark, check the timing with a timing light. I want it to remain consistent and on time. If it is inconsistent or out of time then I am looking at a bad or loose ignition / crankshaft position sensor. If it is consistent and on time and I confirmed that I have fuel, then some how the rotor is put on backwards or your distributor cap is installed incorrectly. 

8. If I ended up with your situation where I had compression, fuel and spark but still no fire at all, then I would take it to a GM mechanic who has the appropriate diagnostic software.

I am sorry that you're having such a problem. I hope you get back on the water soon!

Edited by BLSousa
Grammar
  • Like 1

Ok, another one we have seen. Is the Ignition Coil/Module assembly Challenger part # RA117011 . Between the cap/rotor, CPS and the Coil. One of those 3 should be able to get you back on the water. Give us an update!

It's a 2015 so it should be under warranty. Why not take it to the dealer? You could also call the motor manufacturer and ask them. Or just change the CPS and see what happens. 

Just now, malibu2004 said:

It's a 2015 so it should be under warranty. Why not take it to the dealer? You could also call the motor manufacturer and ask them. Or just change the CPS and see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I would assume they have dealers in Hong Kong. I guess he could of had it shipped over. 

Argentina

OSLIP MARINE INC 
Av. Corrientes 1450 Piso 2do.
Buenos Aires - CP 1042
-
[email protected]
-

Druck S.R.L. 
Av. Coorientes 1450 piso 2 Dto.
Acaba Acaba -
+54 11 4371 1235
[email protected]
speedy.com.ar

Australia

GRE Marine Sales 
24 Stoddart Road
Prospect New South Wales 2148
(02) 9898 1010
[email protected]
gremarine.com.au

Northside Marine 
2294 Sandgate Road
Boondall Queensland 4034
(07) 3265 8042
[email protected] 
northsidemarine.com.au

Malibu Boats WA 
24 Horus Bend
Bibra Lake Western Australia 6163
(08) 9418 6815
[email protected]
www.malibuboatswa.com.au

Malibu Boats Pty ltd 
813 Hope Crt
Albury New South Wales 2640
61 2 6040 1174
[email protected]
malibuboats.com.au

GRE Marine Sales 
2 Muriel Street (Corner of Brodie St & Muriel St)
RYDALMERE New South Wales 2116
(02) 9898 1010
[email protected]
gremarine.com.au

Regal Marine 
514 Canterbury Road
Vermont Victoria 3133
(03) 9874 4624
[email protected]
regalmarine.com.au

Elite Ski Boats 
130 Sir Donald Bradman Drive
Hilton South Australia 5033
(08) 8234 5455
[email protected]
www.eliteskiboats.com.au

Border City Ski Boats 
428 Griffith Road
Lavington New South Wales 2641
(02) 6040 8109
[email protected]
bordercityskiboats.com.au

JSW Powersports 
3 Ereton Drive
Arundel Queensland 4214
(07) 5529 2616
[email protected]
http://jswpowersports.com.au

Austria

Sport Avantgarde 
Corneliusgasse 1
Wien Vienna 1060
+43 664 357 4074
[email protected]
-

Bahrain

Malibu Boats 
-
Kingdom of Bahrain - -
(843) 640-3481
[email protected]
-

Belgium

Malibu Boats Belgium 
Meensesteenweg 93B
Kortrijk - 8500
+32 488 290 280
[email protected]
malibuboats.be

Brazil

Azul Comercio de Produtos Nauticos Ltda. Dba Master Marine 
Av. Clodovio Coelho, 816
Macapa - -
+55.11.4024.3021
[email protected]
mastermarine.com.br

Master Marine 
Av. Horacio Lafer
Sao Paulo - 671
+55 11 4024 3021
[email protected]
mastermarine.com.br

Bulgaria

Unicomp – Boat Division 
Jiului, No 8, Sector 1
Bucharest - -
+407 222 86606
[email protected]
ambarcatiuni.com.ru

Chile

Elite Boats, Importadora SG Ltda 
La Concepcion N°141, oficina 708. Providencia
Santiago - -
+569 99195244
[email protected]
malibuboats.cl

China

Guangzhou Garhorn Marine 
1st Floor Lion Building
GUANGZHOU Guangdong 511431
86 20 2287 6086
[email protected]
garhorn.com

Colombia

Marcelo Hoyos Serna 
CLL 35C #225C-27 Unit 504
Floridablanca - -
5.7316877501e+011
[email protected]
-

Cyprus

MALIBU BOATS (GREECE-CYPRUS) 
CONSTANTINOU PALEOLOGOU 17
LARNACA - 6036
+357 99320077
[email protected]
-

Czech Republic

Wakeshop 
Krosnianska 43
Kosic - 04022
+421 (0) 903 934 903
[email protected]
-

Denmark

Tempo Trading APS 
Geminivej 2
Greve - 2670
+45 4369 7180
[email protected]
tempotrading.dk

Egypt

Maadi Trading Co. "MATCO" 
Cairo Assyout Agriculture Road
Cairo - 12912
+20 12 88821000
[email protected]
www.marakeb.com

France

Sports Service 
Rte de L'océan
Lacanau Bordeaux 33680
-
[email protected]
sports-service.fr

Hors Bord Service 
Av de choisy
Villeneuve Saint Georges - 94400
+33 (0) 143868378
[email protected]
horsbordservice.fr

Air Nautism 
1079 Route d'Albertville
Saint-Jorioz - 74410
+33 (0) 450 609 432
[email protected]
airnautism.com

J2MC Nautisme 
107 ROUTE DE LA PLAGE
MARIGNANE - 13700
+33 (0) 442814362
[email protected]
j2mcnautisme.com

Germany

X-Wake 
Gewerbering 1
Ruderting - 94161
+49 (0)151 51 600 66
[email protected]
-

Marius Boats 
Am Leinritt 7
Kahl Kahl 63796
+49(0)151-46703363
[email protected]
mariusboats.com

Greece

MALIBU BOATS (GREECE-CYPRUS) 
RETHYMNON 74100
CRETE - 74100
+357 99320077
[email protected]
-

Hong Kong

Infiniti Marine Limited 
17 Po Chong Wan, Shum Wan Rd.
Wong Chuk Hang - -
+852 6998 3988
[email protected]
www.axiswake.com.hk

Edited by malibu2004
On 5/15/2017 at 8:52 PM, skurfer said:

IIRC, PCM told me the caps are notorious for cracking and breaking internally, so you still can get spark but it's a weak spark and not enough to fire... That's why I hope the OP gets back on the symptoms because the boat really wants to start and it will sputter, but no luck...And it will come from out of nowhere...

Not trying to hijack, just curious. With the Monsoon engine I am getting turn over and dying really quick. Came out of nowhere. One weekend it was struggling to run in the driveway. the next it was doing great on the lake for a hour. the next its struggling to stay alive in idle. Recently had the cap replaced. Sounds like after reading your comment I need to inspect the cap and make sure I didnt get a lemon. Good news the dealer that did the maint. is taking the boat back in today to try to diagnose the problems. Bad news hes backed up through the weekend.

13 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

Not trying to hijack, just curious. With the Monsoon engine I am getting turn over and dying really quick. Came out of nowhere. One weekend it was struggling to run in the driveway. the next it was doing great on the lake for a hour. the next its struggling to stay alive in idle. Recently had the cap replaced. Sounds like after reading your comment I need to inspect the cap and make sure I didnt get a lemon. Good news the dealer that did the maint. is taking the boat back in today to try to diagnose the problems. Bad news hes backed up through the weekend.

If yours is a 2004, you have a different distributor and cap. Very well could be the problem. What else did they do. They should throw another new cap and rotor on for good measure. Also, I've seen recently a plugged flame arrestor with the same symptoms. Good luck. We always clean them for our customers out of courtesy..

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, 

Sorry i haven't kept up with this tread, i haven't checked it for many months so i missed some good points that were made which probable could have helped me fix this sooner. For that i guess i'm an idiot.

Anyway i'll let you know what i did, then what the problem was (it was simple), hopefully it helps someone out there and it can save them a lot of the wasted time i spent. 

I was told early on fuel pressure was out of limits, so started there.. Replaced the in tank fuel pumps, both regulators, pulled the injectors out and witnessed they were firing. Spark plugs were getting wet with fuel after cranking, set up a different fuel tank to check for fuel contaminated fuel etc. Then i was told by the guys at crusader that 55 is fine for starting so moved on to spark.

Compression check was normal.

From the start when ever i pulled the spark plug out i had a beautiful blue spark jumping across the point. Anyway this had me beat, so i replaced the Coil, distributor and rotor, spark plugs, and ordered new leads but when they turned up they were the wrong ones. Indmar instead of Crusader so the Coil Lead was too short, put them in the box to return to the states for the correct ones. Note getting any of these parts shipped to me generally takes too weeks. I'm envious of you guys in the states being able to parts quickly. Occasionally the engine would cough but generally it was the same, turning over with nothing. 

I tried "Start ya bastard" An Australian flammable gas down the intake no change, so thought maybe timing somehow? Guess i was grasping at straws. Re-did the timing twice no change.

Id looked at the crank position sensor early on, i had RPM on the gauge (measured by CPS) and when every i pulled the cable off i immediately got a fault code. Looked fine but replaced it anyway. no change.

So then i just started pulling off and checking all the other sensors. I was lying by the engine while it was being cracked when i noticed for the first time a small spark above the lead. On closer inspection the spark was jumping from inside the lead plugs, down the plug, then over the entire length of the ceramic of the spark plug and earthing on the engine block, directly above where the spark plug goes into the engine. So even though the spark plug would work normally when i pulled it out (1 atmosphere) under compression this was the easiest route for the spark to earth, and hence i never had spark in the cylinders. As soon as i found this i went home got the indmar leads they had slightly longer boots, so put them on (apart from the coil lead) and she started up. After doing some research i found on a hotrod site that this can happen when the engine has a degraded or bad earth connection. (As blsoula mentioned on an earlier post) Ive cleaned them up and haven't had an issue since.

So there it is, i seriously hope one day this helps someone out there.

Cheers Dave.

Edited by muddyriverwater
  • Like 4
On 5/15/2017 at 7:13 AM, skurfer said:

He should have received a code before the crank no start if it's the crank position sensor. It still very well could be the culprit. I've seen a 2016 Crusader that was painted over from he factory. My $$ is on the cap and rotor. More specifically the cap. Change it and I bet it fires right up! We have seen this twice! Does it crank and want to fire but just won't? Maybe you get a sputter here and there? If yes, it's the cap... You should also be not the phone/e-mail with PCM/Crusador but I bet the new cap for the win!!

A friend of mine has a 2015 Axis and his crank sensor went bad without throwing a code.  Replaced sensor and it fired right up.  I'm betting on the crank sensor. Good luck OP! 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...