Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Change Question

After buying the "oil boy" and sucking out the oil (for my first oil change) - I realized that there is a drain hose that is clipped to the engine with a large paperclip type object.

Is there any easy way to get the hose to go through that transom plug? Do I need to warm up the engine first?

Also, I've noticed a few of the crew have said they fill the oil through the same hole that the dipstick goes into. Can't you just pour the oil directly into the engine block by removing the oil cap (like on a car)?

Thanks!

You'll need to see if your boat has a plug somewhere near that oil drain hose. These days, the V-drives do not have an open plug to the outside. That hose probably won't make it all the way to the back of the boat's transom plug, it's not long enough. If you have a hole you can stick the hose out of then, that's the easy way.

As far as re-filling, I've never heard anyone say to re-fill it through the dipstick tube. You must be thinking of people re-filling the trans. and V-drive units. So to answer your question, yes, put the new oil in the regular spot in the valve covers.

After buying the "oil boy" and sucking out the oil (for my first oil change) - I realized that there is a drain hose that is clipped to the engine with a large paperclip type object.

Is there any easy way to get the hose to go through that transom plug? Do I need to warm up the engine first?

Also, I've noticed a few of the crew have said they fill the oil through the same hole that the dipstick goes into. Can't you just pour the oil directly into the engine block by removing the oil cap (like on a car)?

Thanks!

the oil drain hose will drop right through under the engine (EDIT: for direct drives) if you want. i think you should always warm up the engine first.

I use the oil boy with a fitting to attach directly to the oil drain hose. works great!

read this thread

Edited by Addictedto6

Hey Smedman

Yes you can run the oil drain hose though the hole in the bottom of the boat under the engine. That's how I did my first oil change. Wasn't a problem for me at all...just unclip it from the engine and fish it through the hole. I did hook the engine up to a home-made fake-a lake and warmed it up to operating temp first which definitely helps the oil drain faster. It is still a fairly slow process....I just left it and came back 30 minutes later or so and it was finished. I put the new oil in though the oil fill just like a car.....never heard of putting it in through the dipstick....that's a new one on me! That would take a special funnel or a realllllll steady hand! :lol:

By the way...checked out your surfing videos on you tube! Very cool! I am trying to figure out how to weight my boat properly to surf myself. I have some ballast sacs on order!

Tim

Looks like some other folks beat me to it!

Thanks!

Edited by DUKENO1

Thanks!

It's not neccesary to warm the engine up, but it does drain faster. Just drop the drain hose thru the bilge plug hole and drain below the boat.

ROFL.gif I've never seen or heard of anyone filling the engine back thru the dipstick, I'd suggest using one of the two caps in the valve covers.

Warming up the engine is best, and do so on the lake if possible to warm both engine and oil up to full temperature. This will allow as much oil and contaminents as possible to drain out.

On both direct drive and v-drives, run the drain hose through the center drain plug into your catch pan. If it's an older model with too short of a hose to get out the center drain without kinking the hose, you'll need an extension to screw on the end.

Peter. :)

I'd suggest using one of the two caps in the valve covers.

But be sure to evenly split the amount of oil you pour into both sides....

Whistling.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Use Pennzoil Marine oil or another oil with a CI-4 API service rating (which the Pennzoil Marine is rated). Biggrin.gif

You got stock in Pennzoil? ROFL.gif

Sadly, they are no longer around...Shell Oil now owns the retail branding of the old Pennzoil Cry.gif But, I am a fan of CI-4 !!! Innocent.gif