Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Upgrade.

TimbrSS

Didn't know if this should be in tow rigs or stereo, but here it is.

Added a new system to the tow vehicle. 08 Silverado 3500 Crew cab LTZ with Navi, no rear entertainment needed. (my kids just hang their heads out the windows for fun). The Bose system is horrible, and for whatever reason there was no back up camera. I haven't had a system in a car for a while, but it's time to use some leftover stuff. I have assembled some parts:

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. I bought for android auto.  I picked up a back up camera as well.

Maestro RR and GM5+ harness

Component amp: Orion XTR 800.4. This will supply 4 x 200w rms to my dual 2 Ohm Orion HCCA component sets. (I've had these speakers and amp sitting around for years, just waiting to put them in something)

Sub amp: Arc audio KS 600.2 1200w rms bridged 4ohm. 

Soundoff audio amp rack box, Sundown Audio SD3's. 10's

Pulled the interior, used Noico sound deadening:

20170221_111928_zps2kyszqke.jpg

20170222_093139_zps9u6whroa.jpg

Closed off inner door skins with galvanized sheet metal while I was at it (likely jinxed a window failure):

20170301_095952_zpsoulaovpk.jpg

20170301_102152_zpsgcldkm0d.jpg

Ran power wire, (all Knu Koncepts stuff, 0guage dual amp kit, 12 and 14 gauge speaker wire, 4 way and 2 way rca cables.

20170222_103515_zpsv7mrms9g.jpg

20170222_103525_zpsad4iebir.jpg

Built amp rack out of 1/2" plywood, and covered with some black vinyl wrap I had. I was able to re-use the factory sound deadening material by cutting out access holes for the amps. I had to modify the rear seat mounts to clear the amp. angle grinder made quick work of that. With the seats bottoms up, there isn't really any clearance at all to the amps, but since there is a sub box under the seats, I doubt I'd have them up anyway. When the seats are down, there is plenty of clearance, no worries of heat issues.

Sorry, I should have taken a few more pics of the process. The amp rack rests on the bottom of the cab, and the top is mounted with some aluminum brackets that I fabbed up in an "S" shape to give some spring tension to hold it all in place. Then used self tappers to attack to the back wall of the truck to the raised support beam across the back. (no holes to exterior of truck there. Three brackets hold it all in place. It's not going anywhere.

I then aluminum taped down some more pieces of plywood to the noico sound deadening to the floor, under the carpet. these were cutout in the shape of the crossovers, and worked out well to hold them down.

20170221_121751_zps8kuhe6dp.jpg

20170221_121814_zpsjxntm0mk.jpg

20170216_115721_zpstlgbpu0i.jpg

20170330_095149_zpsvdrzxdq1.jpg

Head unit is Pioneer 4200 NEX. Nice unit with Android Auto. I had to cut some metal at the rear of the Head unit to get it all to fit, but no big deal. I set all the gains with an SMD DD-1 and then used the Pioneer Auto EQ. Best feature is voice control: "OK Google, Play AC/DC"

End result is a pretty rocking system. I'm more than happy with it. I'll try to add a few more pics of Head unit, tweeters, etc.
The wife gave me a hard time because it to me a month to "just replace the speakers".

With the rear seats back in, all this is hidden.

Edited by TimbrSS