Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ever install a WEDGE by yourself?? Any suggestions?

mtnbkr738

@mtnbkr738:  I have not.  Keep in mind the forces acting on the wedge are quite large, water is dense and incompressible.  You will want to make sure the backside uses a large enough load bearing item (large washer, etc.) to properly distribute the load to ensure no structural damage.  I recall that the transom area on the SV-23 hull was strengthened I think post 1995 to allow wedges to be incorporated, prior to that Malibu does not recommend adding a wedge (although I recall it being done by some and have not heard any horror stories).  Also, the mounting holes should be watertight since at rest will be below the waterline.

All you need here.  Doesn't seem too difficult, fit the mounting plate, make sure you have clearance on the inside for the mounting plate, drill four holes, seal holes and bolts with generous amounts of 3m 4200 adhesive sealant, and assemble.  Search this site for proper techniques to drill gelcoat.

12 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

All you need here.  Doesn't seem too difficult, fit the mounting plate, make sure you have clearance on the inside for the mounting plate, drill four holes, seal holes and bolts with generous amounts of 3m 4200 adhesive sealant, and assemble.  Search this site for proper techniques to drill gelcoat.

Yes, thats the exact wedge i just bought... lol... dont know WHY its still on ebay. (!?!)

My concern is drilling the gel coat... not chipping it... so i guess i would like to find a good instructional on that.

Also-i wonder if there is a torque spec on those bolts...

Also - is there any type of "user" manual for the wedge-- ???

thx!

masking tape the area to be drilled, run the drill in reverse until you get through the gel to the FG, drill forward straight through FG, run a drill bit 2 sizes bigger in reverse again to chamfer the hole and prevent chipping or spider cracking.  Easy pressure on the drill during all of this.  

torque spec = tight :biggrin:

Doubt you'll find a manual, it's a pretty simple device.  The key thing to know is you shouldn't go over wakeboarding speed with it deployed.  My computer will flash a message if I reach ~28mph with the wedge deployed.

don't spin the sealant covered bolts when tightening.  spin the nut else you may end up w leaks.  iirc this is covered on the tube of 5100 or, maybe, boatus published an article about using sealants.

placing a substantial scrap metal 'shield' between the transom and the fuel tank while drilling may reduce the ka-booms.

9 hours ago, tvano said:

don't spin the sealant covered bolts when tightening.  spin the nut else you may end up w leaks.  iirc this is covered on the tube of 5100 or, maybe, boatus published an article about using sealants.

placing a substantial scrap metal 'shield' between the transom and the fuel tank while drilling may reduce the ka-booms.

I was planning on Pulling the gas tank out to make  install easier.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, mtnbkr738 said:

Yes im happy to put pics  somewhere else...WHERE should i put them? Any suggestions?

I use imgur.com. it's free and easy, and no ads!