Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Malibu crossover for family

Jonasjmac

3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

If you can put a GSA on it you can put surf gates on it.

Cost and obtaining the SG parts is the hard part.  Have to get a SG swim platform, SG and related parts then wire up similar to the Axis SG setup.  From what I've heard, Malibu isn't exactly making it easy to obtain those parts and I'm sure the cost would be outlandish.  

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Cost and obtaining the SG parts is the hard part.  Have to get a SG swim platform, SG and related parts then wire up similar to the Axis SG setup.  From what I've heard, Malibu isn't exactly making it easy to obtain those parts and I'm sure the cost would be outlandish.  

About $2,000 if Martinarcher is still making his race car wing down force control system.

Just now, minnmarker said:

About $2,000 if Martinarcher is still making his race car wing down force control system.

Control system likely isn't the big issue; obtaining the swim platform and gates are.  Even if they are willing to sell them now and am sure the price is insane.  Actuators would be easy to obtain.

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Control system likely isn't the big issue; obtaining the swim platform and gates are.  Even if they are willing to sell them now and am sure the price is insane.  Actuators would be easy to obtain.

Gates have been made of teak, HDPE, and Aluminum.  Platform is a cosmetic issue, if that.

55 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Gates have been made of teak, HDPE, and Aluminum.  Platform is a cosmetic issue, if that.

Except:
- Newer VLX's only have fiberglass platforms.  I'm not putting a plastic or piece of sheet metal there, nor would I do teak (obviously)
- Swim platform is too wide on the non-SG platforms IMO.  Doesn't allow it to tuck away enough to not impact the wake when not in use

If I'm going to do it, I'm doing it right.  Which is why I would just do GSA.  NSS would be another consideration if it could be retrofitted/acquired easily enough.  If I didn't want to replace mine it would already have an automated system on it.

Looked at the 95 sunsetter, rough,  the mechanicals are fine and spoke with mechanic who said it ran well with only 183 and full service, but the seats and exterior are really rough. I was given a significant reduction in price but think this is going to be too much work.

going to look at and hopefully test a few boats this weekend -putting my price range in 30's to find something that needs no work and updated and comes down to these, any thoughts

23 wakesetter lsv 2005, 2006

05,06 nautique sv 211

mc x9, x14

Edited by Jonasjmac
wrong boats listed
  • Like 2
On 4/5/2017 at 4:25 PM, Jonasjmac said:

Looked at the 95 sunsetter, rough,  the mechanicals are fine and spoke with mechanic who said it ran well with only 183 and full service, but the seats and exterior are really rough. I was given a significant reduction in price but think this is going to be too much work.

going to look at and hopefully test a few boats this weekend -putting my price range in 30's to find something that needs no work and updated and comes down to these, any thoughts

23 wakesetter lsv 2005, 2006

05,06 nautique sv 211

mc x9, x14

You have the right idea. If you are looking at the 23 LSV (most popular boat in those years) Consider an 07 because they came with catalytic converters. However the LSV had the V25 hull in 04 as well, the VLX didnt get it until 05

• Like 1
On 4/3/2017 at 8:32 AM, AJwakedevil said:

my $.02, you can only ski for tens of minutes but you can surf for hours on end. With the amount of people v-drive is a must. Making sure it has ballast so it can get weighted down to surf is a must. 

Do you think you will ski 50% of the time? More...? Less?

Yes, and unless the skier actually rips, it makes no diff, wife loves skiing behind our A20 and she has a super consistent rhythm with a 4-5 foot spray, I hit that same wake with my rip and I launch , not high, and land violently for our old Jobe and it really thwacks the knees on other side, so if no one rips, this is way too much analysis plus the above is so true

Edited by granddaddy55
8 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yes, and unless the skier actually rips, it makes no diff, wife loves skiing behind our A20 and she has a super consistent rhythm with a 4-5 foot spray, I hit that same wake with my rip and I launch , not high, and land violently for our old Jobe and it really thwacks the knees on other side, so if no one rips, this is way too much analysis plus the above is so true

lol what is this?? Take care of your knees!!!!

On 4/12/2017 at 11:51 PM, 95echelon said:

the LSV had the V25 hull in 04 as well, the VLX didnt get it until 05

I didnt know that. Learned something new today

3 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

I didnt know that. Learned something new today

Yeah. Also 04-05 are full manual boats. 06 in both has a FAR Nicer dash setup and goes to throttle by wire with a new tranny and V-drive. Power wedge also begins in 06. 08 makes yet another big improvement in the dash but also has MUX switches (love em or hate em). 

If you want convienience then get 07-08 for cats and gadgets. If you worry about a fancy led dash lasting 10 years or wedge actuators blowing out then get the 04-05 years. If you are in between then get an 06. 

However considering 05 VLX's are selling for 30-35 right now that 78k 21vlx or a last years 22vlx is starting to sound nice too. 

50 minutes ago, Jonasjmac said:

How would this boat be for crossover, diamond hull? fair price?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-malibu-sunscape-21lsv-103000042

It's about the best crossover ever in my opinion.  A fair price as well for this time of year.  I had the '01 for a long time.  Still miss it.  But not quite as much as I like the '16.

Here's the long running thread on my old boat as I worked on it over the years enhancing the crossover aspect.

You need to drive some boats & determine what it is that you like/don't like.

I thought the early 2000 boats drove like overloaded trucks. I think it was in 03 or 04 when they started going with the Gorilla fins, more horsepower & larger props & the boats, specifically the v-drives, started driving & handling better.

2 hours ago, RedOwl said:

nah, that's an entry level boat and a really small boat. Also can't tell on options but I am not seeing many. No heat, no shower, no bags metioned, stock stereo if that. These went out the door as low as 45k.

There is also a 2007 23lsv wakesetter there. Plan on driving both. Would that be the diamond hull as well? More than 10k price difference but imagine 5 year newer boat  and 2 ' bigger would be well worth the difference 

11 hours ago, Jonasjmac said:

There is also a 2007 23lsv wakesetter there. Plan on driving both. Would that be the diamond hull as well? More than 10k price difference but imagine 5 year newer boat  and 2 ' bigger would be well worth the difference 

Yes yes. But that 23 has a v25 hull that may or may not be diamond. At that size it won't matter. It will do fine for recreational slalom and do amazing for wake, surf, handling and crowds of people. Upgrades between 2002 and seven include:

many inches longer, wider, and deeper

more horsepower, catalytic converters for surfing gases, 

much better tracking fins

much more storage and a hugely improved glove box and dashboard. 

Much better ballast in the rear and the optional bow ballast. 

Arguably improved vdrive and tranny plus throttle by wire and maybe even shift by wire. 

Optional power wedge