Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Malibu crossover for family

Jonasjmac

Looking for a crossover boat for family. Not specially geared towards ski or wake however wife likes to ski assume kids will want to wakeboard and take the friends so seating for around 8 capacity would be helpful looking to keep it any less than 25k range. Located in NC

thanks!

Where in NC are you located? I would be glad to take you out in 23 LSV with the diamond hull if you're near Lake Norman.

Edited by Sailvi767
  • Like 2

I'm a little bias.......but a 05-07 iRide would be a pretty good fit if you still want to ski. We ski, barefoot, surf and wakeboard behind ours and it does them all pretty well. You'll need to add ballast, above the factory MLS, and a wake-shape device of some sort if you really want to get it into surfing but you'll do this for just about any boat in that price range whether its a v drive or direct drive.

Edited by Tags
4 hours ago, Sailvi767 said:

Where in NC are you located? I would be glad to take you out in 23 LSV with the diamond hull if you're near Lake Norman.

Isn't lake Norman sorta close to Raleigh? The LSV is in the 20's? 

My recommendation would sure be an LSV if it's in your price range.

Steve B.

19 hours ago, Jonasjmac said:

Looking for a crossover boat for family. Not specially geared towards ski or wake however wife likes to ski assume kids will want to wakeboard and take the friends so seating for around 8 capacity would be helpful looking to keep it any less than 25k range. Located in NC

thanks!

If you are on FB join the group NC WakeLife, lot's of boaters on there near Raleigh and a few nice boats for sale in classifieds.

For what you are describing, and with your price in mind, I would recommend looking for a '99-'04 Sunsetter Lxi.  They are a little tough to come by, but would be perfect for what you said you want to do with it.

For my tastes, an open bow Response LX. Mine is a '98, but a few years newer than that is popular, and can be found in your price range.  Starting in '99, there is a trunk for storage that a lot of people like.  I didn't care about that.  So, I choose the more ski specific boat.  But, that is also because I am often the one driving the family, and I like to ski, behind a direct drive, with a slalom specific wake.  So, keeping the captain happy helps keep the family boating happy. ;)  And you can surf behind a response, and certainly wakeboard.  But also, in support of the Response, your wife likes to ski, so that would make her happy too.  But, considering seating needs as you state them, seems like the Sunsetter may also be the way to go for you, depending on your wake preference, and if that is more important to you, or in boat comfort is more important.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Like I've posted before, I regularly free ski my 2004 23lsv wake hull.    I wouldn't run it thru a course but it's far from impossible to ski.  So the casual skiability combined with spaciousness and wakeboard/ surf wakes makes me think my boat is a great crossover.  If she's a competitive or course skier look elsewhere. Or join a ski club for your bouy fix like I did. 

I still think the 2001 diamond hull Sunsetter VLX was the best crossover boat.  I'm biased though.  It was my baby for a decade+.  And it sold for the low 20s fully set up with sound and ballast.  The slalom wake was great for a V-drive.  Very clean cross.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

I still think the 2001 diamond hull Sunsetter VLX was the best crossover boat.  I'm biased though.  It was my baby for a decade+.  And it sold for the low 20s fully set up with sound and ballast.  The slalom wake was great for a V-drive.  Very clean cross.

About the ultimate cross-over.

Steve B.

27 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

Like this one? Not sure if it's a diamond  hull

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2001-Malibu-Sunsetter-VLX-for-sale-Waterford-Michigan-63263.aspx

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

This could be a gem for somebody at a great price.

Steve B.

37 minutes ago, braindamage said:

We went and looked at that one about a month ago.  It's a complete train wreck.  If you aren't local or don't have time to waste, I would not go look at it.  The wedge is frozen down with zebra mussels, and the entire exterior looks like it was moored between a few rocks as well as on top of a rock.  

10 hours ago, braindamage said:

If you're ever in doubt about the hull don't forget our Resources page here on the site with all the details on every boat year.

For $25k look for '02-'03 Sunscape 21 LSV (maybe a 23 LSV if you want to give on the slalom wake some) or an '01 Sunsetter VLX.

The LXi is an interesting idea to.  Direct drive, but I've slalomed behind it and it was very nice.  

Edited by Slurpee