Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you do?

vaporbluebu

The friend of a friend is needing to sell a 2016 22 VLX. I listed my boat for sale and already have a couple people interested in it.  It's looking like it would only cost me about $1k out of pocket to sell mine, buy the new one, and add a couple missing things like a cover and heater.  My concerns:

-I have never really been in a 22 VLX.  This boat is out of state and I'm out of the country for work.  A couple months ago I sat in one at the dealer and seemed just about as big as my 23, but I'm worried if dropping down in size will bother me or seem too small.  We have a big family, six kids, and sometimes take a couple people out with us.  How much will I feel the missing foot?

-not my favorite color (no vapor blue anywhere :( )   It's not ugly, it just wouldn't be my first pick.  My current boat i ordered from the factory and I love the inside and out.

-new boat is very basic. Has Surf Gate, PWII, 4 ballast, G3.5, Surf bimini, and basic stereo.  What it's missing that mine has is silent tip exhaust, heater, shower, under water lights, docking lights, pop up bow light...

What I would gain:

-new boat with 5 year warranty after paying to have it transferred.  Anything I need to know here?

-410 engine instead of my 350 that I feel is tapped out living at 4500 feet.

-Power Wedge 2 and bigger surf gates

We have become big fans of surfing.  How much better will this boat Surf than what I currently have?  We run 750s in the rear and 600ish bow bag.

What would you do?  Keep the boat you love in and out but feel has been maxed out or go with the newer, smaller boat that you aren't as attracted to?

ahopkins22LSV

Honestly, I have never surfed your generation LSV. However, the 22 VLX hull was designed with SG in mind and a focus on surfing. It surfs very good. I suspect it will surf as good, maybe even better then your current boat as the hull wasn't designed for SG, but I really don't know. 

PWII is amazing, and way better then PW1. The adjust ability and effect on the wave is much improved. Plus the lift feature helps with getting on plane for wake boarding as well, especially at elevation.

Everything that your current boat has and the VLX doesn't can be added fairly easily.

I do think you will notice the 1 foot loss though. Going between my friends T22 (same hull as the 22VLX) and my friends 23LSV, there is a dramatic difference. 

My concerns would be the size difference with 6 kids. I would recommend that you wait until you can sit in one to make yourself feel better about the purchase. Hard to back up after the fact if you buy it.

~$1300 to transfer full warranty.

• Like 1

I'd trade and here is why:

- You are probably getting top dollar for your current boat, or a really good deal on his, to do the move for only $1000.  You are on the last year of the previous hull wit the old dash, which will deter some buyers and will more so as it gets older
-  You have an under-engined boat.  Nothing you can do to fix that
-  What that boat is missing that yours has isn't a big deal to add laster.  I'd do the surf pipe over the STE's.  Heater isn't that big of a deal, lights are all pretty basic add-on's.  Factory stereo on either boat aren't where they should be, so non-factor IMO.  
-  As you mentioned, you get some new goodies with the VLX, such as PW2, upgraded SG, better tower, updated dash/electronics, better motor, etc.

The only downside is it isn't your preferred color (you'll probably get over it quickly) and size.  You will notice a size difference, no doubt, but it isn't a monumental difference.  I would do the trade personally.

• Like 2

It sounds like you could be moving towards becoming a serial flipper like some of the other people on this site. My thoughts: do the trade up/upgrade IF you have the support of your family. You need to have your family on board with the decision if you've got 6 kids and a spouse who are on the boat with you. IF you have the support of your family, see if you can get buy-in that you're trying the new boat for a year or two and if there is agreement that it's not a fit you can/will sell it/trade it in and upgrade again to another boat directly from the factory that has everything you want. At $1000 difference you're getting a crazy good deal right now and you won't get that good of trade up deal in a year or two on either boat. You could treat it like a $1000 lease with a buy-out or turn in option: If you like it at the end of the season you keep it, if you don't like it you turn it in (sell it) and order what you do want.

Budget now for a trade up in a year or two, and if you like the 22 VLX you can stay with it and have some money stashed for something else. If you and/or the family don't like the 22 VLX at the end of season you can start working with your dealer to order what you do want and sell the 22 VLX. It might end up that you order a new 22 VLX in 1-3 years that is your preferred color scheme.

• Like 2

Any chance you can go sit in a 22 wherever you are?     When we were making our final decision between 20 VTX, 21 VLX, and 22 VLX I recruited 6 adults and climbed into all of them at the boat show.     I loved all three boats, but in the end I liked the 20 VTX and 22 VLX interiors a lot better, and the size difference was the final straw to order the 22 VLX over the 20 VTX.     I could take 6 adults in either, but the 22 made but it seem pretty comfortable, and had more room for gear.   I think the interior of the 22 felt huge (I am coming from a Crownline 182BR with sport seating).    I figure I will be able to take a crew of 7 pretty comfortably, 8 shouldnt be too bad, I would think think 9-14 would be uncomfortable, but I have no real world experience to support that.    

7 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have had two boats, including a 2016 23 lsv, that I wasn't in love with the color. I ended up selling both boats within a year and a half of buying them, and the fact that I didn't like the color was a major reason for me to sell. I now own a 2017 23 lsv, color I really like, but I often think that I don't need a boat this big with one son, but the 22vlx is very comparable in price and when you need the space of a 23, you'll be glad you have it. Be careful buying a boat that you don't absolutely love; especially when it comes to size and color. 

I appreciate your input.  Like I said it's certainly not an ugly boat it's just that I would have blue where the red is!  For the amount of money I would be saving over ordering a new one, I can certainly live with it. I guess size has me thinking more than the color does.  I know when I've sat in them in the past I've thought they were a great boat.  I might just need to see if I can find one near my house.

so this isn't exactly on point, but... 

I went from current hull LSV to T22. 

I notice it's smaller.  Mostly not a big deal, except when I'm trailering to the lake and trying to fit all fo the boards on the floor.  It's tighter then.

For you with so many kids, they aren't getting any smaller and neither are their friends.  I'd proceed with caution.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

I appreciate your input.  Like I said it's certainly not an ugly boat it's just that I would have blue where the red is!  For the amount of money I would be saving over ordering a new one, I can certainly live with it. I guess size has me thinking more than the color does.  I know when I've sat in them in the past I've thought they were a great boat.  I might just need to see if I can find one near my house.

If you like blue, you are not going to be happy with red. I just got out of a black boat with a yellow strip. It was not a bad looking boat, but my blue boat really makes me happy. Also, the size is great. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

There is usually four of use on our VLX, 2 adults and 2 kids.  Uber comfy and roomy.  Several weekends out of the year we add an additional 4.  Still not a problem.  If your usual crew will be eight, with an occasional extra couple i think you will be fine, especially considering you will be getting a great deal on the boat!  Our previous boat was a 24' Crownline and I would usually get a bit crabby with a crowd, but not so much with the VLX.  Having a crowd lends to the fun of surfing.  I say do it!

For a grand, I would definitely do it.  As already stated, the dash, PW2, engine, longer warranty, etc are all very nice upgrades.  The size will be smaller but certainly certainly still manageable.  And you can always wrap part of the boat if the color drives you nuts.  

• Like 2

No matter what you do, you have to come back to this thread and let us all know your final decision. Something tells me there will be a picture attached...

• Like 3
On 3/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, vaporbluebu said:

I was told $750 from the dealership that he bought it from because it was a 2016.

Dealer must also inspect the boat which adds to the 750. Compression test etc...

Dealer doesn't have to charge for the inspection (mine didn't). And a compression test definitely isn't required. What would they do say "oh compression is bad let's not warranty this turd."?

the inspection fee is a profit center for a dealer and way to compensate a no selling dealer for doing warranty work on a boat they may not have sold. 

No matter how much sense the deal makes financially, when I read your original post my first thought was...

"He's not that into this boat."  

14 inches is 14 inches. You will notice. Besides, it's too much money to not get what you want. I agree with others who said if you buy a boat you don't love it's likely you will dump it sooner rather than later. We all know what happens then... you buy a brand new 23 LSV. That path will ultimately cost you more than skipping the 22 and just getting a new 23 right now. 

So that's my recommendation... 

I just sold a 2015 22vlx and now own a 2017 lsv.  @mikeo, I guess I am serial flipper? :) With your current crew of 6 kids the lsv is a no brainer.  The 22vlx is a good size boat but you can definitely feel the cabin space of 14". With that many kids it will be too small for you.  The lsv is probably good for 3-4 more seats.

My vote for you would be stay with the lsv or sattle up and order a 2017 lsv.

11 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Dealer doesn't have to charge for the inspection (mine didn't). And a compression test definitely isn't required. What would they do say "oh compression is bad let's not warranty this turd."?

the inspection fee is a profit center for a dealer and way to compensate a no selling dealer for doing warranty work on a boat they may not have sold. 

Everything is a profit center for a dealer. It is a business for profit....

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

No matter how much sense the deal makes financially, when I read your original post my first thought was...

"He's not that into this boat."  

14 inches is 14 inches. You will notice. Besides, it's too much money to not get what you want. I agree with others who said if you buy a boat you don't love it's likely you will dump it sooner rather than later. We all know what happens then... you buy a brand new 23 LSV. That path will ultimately cost you more than skipping the 22 and just getting a new 23 right now. 

So that's my recommendation... 

Funny thing is when the 22 vlx came out, my first thought was I could see that as my next boat.  I actually love the interior colors, it's just the red and black exterior.  Nothing wrong with it.  I just feel there are a lot of red and black boats.  Size is my biggest concern.  I need to go sit in one again.  Unfortunately a brand new 23 LSV is out of the question.  I would be looking at and addition $25k minimum.  I do think that I would be getting the boat well below market value and if I didn't like it there is the possibility of selling it and not being far out of a 2015 23 LSV....

6 hours ago, Fman said:

I just sold a 2015 22vlx and now own a 2017 lsv.  @mikeo, I guess I am serial flipper? :) With your current crew of 6 kids the lsv is a no brainer.  The 22vlx is a good size boat but you can definitely feel the cabin space of 14". With that many kids it will be too small for you.  The lsv is probably good for 3-4 more seats.

My vote for you would be stay with the lsv or sattle up and order a 2017 lsv.

Looking at my above statement it looking like I might be a serial flipper as well!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I was told I had to the inspection where the boat was purchased.  This is not where future warranty work would be done.  Anyone know if I have this backwards?  Should it be done at my local dealership instead?