Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
footndale

Indmar Expansion

Recommended Posts

footndale

New news to me, old to others?

• 25,000 sq. ft. expansion stems from tremendous consumer demand of the all- new Raptor Series, introduction of new product categories and expansion into new segments.

• Expansion fuels innovation and future growth.

In preparation of future growth, Indmar Marine Engines, the global leader of breakthrough products designed and manufactured for the boating industry, today announced a 25,000 sq. ft. expansion of it’s World Headquarters in Millington, Tenn.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/indmar-marine-engines-reveals-world-headquarters-natalie-carrera?trk=v-feed&lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_feed%3BbNYzIvlhfF8PjCkclxYjAA%3D%3D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird

Seems kind of stupid since their biggest customer (Malibu), that buys more than all of their other customers combined, is dumping them soon.

Share this post


Link to post
WAwinegrapes

Maybe Malibu plans on buying Indmar, or part of Indmar?  Indmar has decades of experience that Malibu would love to have when they start building and marinizing their own engines.

 

Maybe some kinda jv, as Ford and Gm have done with transmissions?

Edited by WAwinegrapes

Share this post


Link to post
oldjeep
7 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Seems kind of stupid since their biggest customer (Malibu), that buys more than all of their other customers combined, is dumping them soon.

Malibu is their biggest customer?

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Nitrousbird
8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Malibu is their biggest customer?

Unless they have some business they don't like talking about.  Malibu is the #1 selling towboat manufacturer.  Their other customers are Supra, Tige, Moomba, MB, Sanger and Gekko.  None of them sell like the big three do.

Share this post


Link to post
jjackkrash

Several press releases indicate Indmar is going after both the jet and cruiser market.  I suspect they have new commitments or at least strong interest to justify expansion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Woodski

Malibu is vertically integrating and now will do their own engine marinizing, not sure the roll out date, there is a thread on that so doubtful that Malibu would be thinking of a merger/purchase.  A few years back there were issues with engine supply that affected Merc and Volvo customers which service the 'rest' of the boat market (cruisers, day boats, etc.) which is a much larger segment of the overall boat pie.  Indmar probably realizes the opportunity in that area particularly as the Bu, CC, MC, CP market is more competitive with additional entries over the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
WAwinegrapes
2 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Malibu is vertically integrating and now will do their own engine marinizing, not sure the roll out date, there is a thread on that so doubtful that Malibu would be thinking of a merger/purchase.  A few years back there were issues with engine supply that affected Merc and Volvo customers which service the 'rest' of the boat market (cruisers, day boats, etc.) which is a much larger segment of the overall boat pie.  Indmar probably realizes the opportunity in that area particularly as the Bu, CC, MC, CP market is more competitive with additional entries over the last few years.

what is vertically integrating?

Share this post


Link to post
jjackkrash
Just now, WAwinegrapes said:

what is vertically integrating?

A move by one company to control more stages of production that were formerly occupied by separate companies.  

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
3 hours ago, WAwinegrapes said:

what is vertically integrating?

Malibu has been doing this since they went public, trying to bring more in house.   

There are 2 ways of doing it, hire talent and start doing it yourself, or buy/acquire your supplier.  

Correct Craft started doing this by acquisition.  PCM Engines, Crusader engine, Supreme/Centurion, Bryant, Bass Cat, etc.

Malibu has been going the other way and bringing in talent, and starting from scratch.  Trailers, now engines.  

Both ways have good/bad, trailer was slam dunk!  Engines also makes great sense!  It makes me wonder when MC/CC will copy the trailer move and bring in house. 

Share this post


Link to post
WAwinegrapes
18 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Malibu is their biggest customer?

Does anyone know, and or is there a site that provides the number of boats malibu, supra, fiineline, cc and mc, etc.  make each year?

 

The comparison would be interesting, but also the number made each year.  maybe an indicator as to how the US economy is doing!

 

Same with wine consumption.  Of course folks drink when they are happy AND when they are sad!

 

Not sure if the same methodology works for boats.

Edited by WAwinegrapes

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
12 minutes ago, WAwinegrapes said:

Does anyone know, and or is there a site that provides the number of boats malibu, supra, fiineline, cc and mc, etc.  make each year?

 

The comparison would be interesting, but also the number made each year.  maybe an indicator as to how the US economy is doing!

 

Same with wine consumption.  Of course folks drink when they are happy AND when they are sad!

You can get this from Malibu annual reports.   Info is for previous year.  So for  performance sport boat catagory 

2015 total 7800 

Of that 7800 here is breakdown 

MALIBU/AXIS. 32%

MC 21.7%

Nautique/Centurion/Supreme 21.6%

SC/Supra/Moomba 12.8%

2014 total 7100

Malibu/AXIS 32%

MC 20.5%

Nautique 17.1%

SC/Supra/Moomba 12.0%

Centurion/Supreme 5.9%

It's very interesting to see changes, I am really curious what 2016 numbers look like. Here is quick cut and paste

market%20share_zpshwugiae2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

I am really looking forward to seeing 2016 numbers as there is some really interesting stuff going on if you look at the numbers.  It's not shocking but makes sense.

Outboard (fishing/pontoons/???) Segment is slowly growing in sales 7-8% prices up 5-6%.

Perf Sp boat (wake/ski) doing well volume up 16% in 2014 and up 10% more in 2015.  Sales price also up 6-7%  

Jet boats are KILLING IT! Volume up 17% in 2014 and another 26% in 2015.  Sales price took huge 23% increase in 2014 and only 2% in 2015.

When there is a winner, there has to be a loser.  In this case it's the I/O guys.   Sales Volume is going down 7-8% each year!  Price was up 24% in 2014 and down 2% in 2015.  

This just further explains why the I/O crowd is trying to get into surf market so hard.  

For what it's worth the Cobalt R7 is a great boat.  Throws a very nice wave, roomy, is very fuel efficient, cruises at 40+, doesn't wakeboard worth a crap, but still very nice.  Similar in price as wakeboard in this size too.

Edited by DarkSide

Share this post


Link to post
WAwinegrapes
6 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I am really looking forward to seeing 2016 numbers as there is some really interesting stuff going on if you look at the numbers.  It's not shocking but makes sense.

Outboard (fishing/pontoons/???) Segment is slowly growing in sales 7-8% prices up 5-6%.

Perf Sp boat (wake/ski) doing well volume up 16% in 2014 and up 10% more in 2015.  Sales price also up 6-7%  

Jet boats are KILLING IT! Volume up 17% in 2014 and another 26% in 2015.  Sales price took huge 23% increase in 2014 and only 2% in 2015.

When there is a winner, there has to be a loser.  In this case it's the I/O guys.   Sales Volume is going down 7-8% each year!  Price was up 24% in 2014 and down 2% in 2015.  

This just further explains why the I/O crowd is trying to get into surf market so hard.  

WOW!!  thanks.

 

DO you know, does the i/o include the cigarette, formula, donzi boats?  or are they a different group?

 

The high end rv market reflects the same or close to increases.

 

Marathon/prevost has rv's costing $2MM+

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

 No idea about RV.

2016 was interesting for wakeboats so curious what numbers say.

2016 Malibu Launches 25LSV and M235, Nautique redesigns G series,  Centurion launches RI series and MC had a "cross like a BOSS"

 

Share this post


Link to post
skurfer
8 hours ago, DarkSide said:

It makes me wonder when MC/CC will copy the trailer move and bring in house. 

MC has been making their own trailers for years...

Share this post


Link to post
Lees23
1 hour ago, skurfer said:

MC has been making their own trailers for years...

This... my '14 trailer is made by MC.

Share this post


Link to post
TenTwentyOne
6 hours ago, Lees23 said:

This... my '14 trailer is made by MC.

Funny story about 2014s though...... they weren't made by MC. They stopped manufacturing trailers in the plant that year, in order to free up a third assembly line to keep up with increased demand. Boatmate made the '14 trailers for them, until they completed construction on the new trailer facility. 

   You might have a MC trailer, but it's unlikely from that year. They are built to MC spec, and say MasterCraft on them, but most, if not all 14s, were manufactured at boatmate.

Share this post


Link to post
TenTwentyOne
14 hours ago, DarkSide said:

You can get this from Malibu annual reports.   Info is for previous year.  So for  performance sport boat catagory 

2015 total 7800 

Of that 7800 here is breakdown 

MALIBU/AXIS. 32%

MC 21.7%

Nautique/Centurion/Supreme 21.6%

SC/Supra/Moomba 12.8%

2014 total 7100

Malibu/AXIS 32%

MC 20.5%

Nautique 17.1%

SC/Supra/Moomba 12.0%

Centurion/Supreme 5.9%

It's very interesting to see changes, I am really curious what 2016 numbers look like. Here is quick cut and paste

market%20share_zpshwugiae2.jpg

The number must be more than 7800...... MC built 2547 boats in 15. That's 32%......

and Bu was what?!? North of 3400 boats? 

Total number should be about 10,650 boats, for Bu to be 32%. However, that number would put MC at 24%, so, who knows. Some of those numbers are off....

 

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
3 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

The number must be more than 7800...... MC built 2547 boats in 15. That's 32%......

and Bu was what?!? North of 3400 boats? 

Total number should be about 10,650 boats, for Bu to be 32%. However, that number would put MC at 24%, so, who knows. Some of those numbers are off....

 

They are strait out of Malibu financials, maybe these are US only numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
skurfer
17 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Funny story about 2014s though...... they weren't made by MC. They stopped manufacturing trailers in the plant that year, in order to free up a third assembly line to keep up with increased demand. Boatmate made the '14 trailers for them, until they completed construction on the new trailer facility. 

   You might have a MC trailer, but it's unlikely from that year. They are built to MC spec, and say MasterCraft on them, but most, if not all 14s, were manufactured at boatmate.

 

Interesting. Better check 2014 welds :)

Share this post


Link to post
RyanB

I don't know how you would get accurate market share information in regard to boat sales and production.  There are too many privately owned builders that don't have to disclose their numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
TenTwentyOne
17 hours ago, skurfer said:

 

Interesting. Better check 2014 welds :)

And the swing tongue pins!!

Share this post


Link to post
Lees23
On 3/31/2017 at 6:11 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

Funny story about 2014s though...... they weren't made by MC. They stopped manufacturing trailers in the plant that year, in order to free up a third assembly line to keep up with increased demand. Boatmate made the '14 trailers for them, until they completed construction on the new trailer facility. 

   You might have a MC trailer, but it's unlikely from that year. They are built to MC spec, and say MasterCraft on them, but most, if not all 14s, were manufactured at boatmate.

That is very interesting.  I am happy to report that trailer is GONE as of Saturday.  The MC has been sold and picked up and paid for.  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...