Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning Flame Arrestor

I have a metal flame arrestor (i believe) and was wondering what works best to clean it.

Some kind of solvent I assume... (although solvents are typically highly flamable)

What about WD-40? Will that work? (will it go BOOM?)

Thanks

I used carb cleaner on mine with no issues.

I did let it sit out for a while and get good and dry before I put it back on.

Not sure that is the right stuff but it did work well.

Smed,

didn't you get that PM I sent you last week?

Anyway, don't use WD, use carbureator cleaner. BTW, WD is flamable....so is carb. cleaner.

Hey Pete,

Thanks, yes, did get your PM - although I didn't quite follow as the stuff you were describing were not parts that I could match up on my boat. Maybe I just haven't dug in deep enough in there...

From what I found in the Indmar manual - the flame arrest looked like the circular metal thing with metalic mesh -- kind of looks like a carbureator (unless that is the carb)? You were talking about a red or pink thing, but didn't see anything similar... maybe i'm not looking in the right place....

The only thing to make the flame arrestor dirty is dust...which is pretty thin out on the water. If there's one place where I'm willing to cut a corner, this is it.

I'd still clean it once in awhile along with the PCV valve.

Smed, I can't attach pictures right now for some reason. I'm guessing your engine has the big rectangular thing on the top? Looks like an old school air filter? I guess you don't have the pink colored conical air filter.

The only thing to make the flame arrestor dirty is dust...which is pretty thin out on the water. If there's one place where I'm willing to cut a corner, this is it.

I agree. Blow it out with a little compressed air and you should be good to go.

Guys it's a 2 buck bottle of carb cleaner, not something I think we need to worry about. I use carb cleaner and clean it at the end of each season along w/ the oil change etc..

Guys it's a 2 buck bottle of carb cleaner, not something I think we need to worry about. I use carb cleaner and clean it at the end of each season along w/ the oil change etc..

Yeah, but 2 bucks, that's a gallon.....I mean half a gallon of gas.......I see your point. :)

On most metal (boat) air filter/spark arrestors (not specifically talking Indmar here) you don't get a lot of dust buildup but you do typically see residue from oil, grease, gas, etc. Water won't take this off, but I guess Dawn might. WD-40 actally works well, but carb cleaner is very efficient as well. Or heck just dump some gas on it... wait, that would be way to expensive! Blow it off with compressed air as well and you'll be good to go. Just wait a minute or so before you reinstall it and start the boat. Most solvents/gas dissapate very quickly so don't worry about blowing up as long as it's not dripping when you reinstall the filter.

It should be noted that this cleaning method is for the metal air filter/flame arrestor found on the 320LCR.

All others: Monsoon, HH, 8.1L have K&N filters/flame arrestors on them. To clean the K&N you will need to go down to your local motorcycle dealer of Kragen and get K&N filter cleaner and oil.

It should be noted that this cleaning method is for the metal air filter/flame arrestor found on the 320LCR.

All others: Monsoon, HH, 8.1L have K&N filters/flame arrestors on them. To clean the K&N you will need to go down to your local motorcycle dealer of Kragen and get K&N filter cleaner and oil.

Ah, my Monsoon has a flame arrestor on it.

Ah, my Monsoon has a flame arrestor on it.

And your point is?????

Stew's right.

Smed,

Is this what you have? (I finally got a hold of a photobucket acct. and can add pics. now)

engine.jpg

Pete - mine is similar to the photo... except it is circular.

Call me crazy but I just sprayed a little WD40 around it and wiped it off with a towel. Used the boat later that day with no incident. :) (Didn't have time to pick up some carb cleaner, but will for next time. )