Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trickle charger for your 'Bu

sunvalleylaw

@Lee23 Agreed! Anything to make boat ownership a little simpler!

6 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

yes. I just like having it installed on boat. Then whenever I like I can just plug it in and top the batteries off. Not sure if it actually prolongs the battery life but its nice to know the batteries are all set for the next time out on the water.

I've lost batteries that were only 1 or 2 yrs old over a harsh winter. Almost always in some toy that doesn't get run very often. Even my Optima blue top only last 2 yrs in the boat. The DieHards I have in the boat now are like 7 yrs old.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
11 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

Which one??  The one just before your post?

Yes, the very first one posted :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IBJAS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I haven't measured it, but it's a very low current output, which works great for me in off-season charging/maintaining.

Used it actually more than two years now that I think about it. I think mine is like 5 years old.

Steve B.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

@Lee23 Agreed! Anything to make boat ownership a little simpler!

I've lost batteries that were only 1 or 2 yrs old over a harsh winter. Almost always in some toy that doesn't get run very often. Even my Optima blue top only last 2 yrs in the boat. The DieHards I have in the boat now are like 7 yrs old.

it could be that the batteries froze, and will do that if they are not fully charged. You also may have had some kind of parasitic drain that killed the batteries. Batteries do not lose their charge in the cold very fast if they are fully charged. They actually lose their charge faster when they are warm. HEAT kills batteries. 

You also have to make sure you get the right amp charger for charging and the right amp charger for maintaining. A 1 amp charger will not charge large deep cycle or cranking batteries very well if the battery is weak. You need to have a higher output like a 8, 10 or 15 amp. Alot of people connect maintainers to batteries (low amp models) and they won't charge a discharged battery. Even thou alot of maintainers claim they charge and maintain, they won't charge discharged large marine batteries. 

I have a bass boat that i fish in tournments with and have 4 large Interstate batteries running trolling motors, Lowrance units, etc.... I have a 10 amp 4 bank charger. Its the only way you are going to recharge after a day of fishing and using the batteries. Once the battery is charged, you can use a maintainer to keep it topped off. Also be careful with float or maintainers that don't shut off when the batteries are charged. 

Edited by semi
21 hours ago, solorex said:

The NOCO chargers are great, I have the Battery Tender.  I honestly think people "over think" battery chargers.  Take your battery out of the boat in the winter, check voltage with a mulitmeter if it's below 12.5 throw it on the charger overnight, take the charger off.  A healthy battery doesn't need to be trickle charged all winter.  I've been on the same battery for 7 years no issues.

this is what I was thinking.  Either this Noco I link below or a similar Battery Tender.  I don't want to overthink it and just want one in the garage I can use on all the basic stuff around the house.  

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490806294&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+battery+maintainer

26 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

this is what I was thinking.  Either this Noco I link below or a similar Battery Tender.  I don't want to overthink it and just want one in the garage I can use on all the basic stuff around the house.  

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490806294&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+battery+maintainer

i have 2 of these and use them to charge ATV's, snowmobile and tractor batteries and its one of the best. Keep in mind this is a 3.5 amp charger. AGain, charging for size group 27 batteries even when only halfway used, will require more amp's.. suggest at least a 6 amp if not a 10 amp, it may charge it, but you will be waiting for quite a while. And if you have any deep cycles forget about it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1490808664&sr=8-22&keywords=battery+chargers

this one is better suited if you don't want to install an onboard charger. It will do lead acid, AGM etc... and can act as a maintainer. 

Edited by semi
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I have one of those we use with a little hardwired charge indicator panel/charger port I custom wired on my sons PowerWheels...   It will work just fine for the bigger boat batteries as long as your not in a hurry, I also have the G7200 which I prefer for the big batteries.

20140529_162412b.jpg

This Noco 7.2 might do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LWTHP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490806294&sr=8-1&keywords=noco%2Bbattery%2Bmaintainer&th=1

"Charge fully drained lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 230Ah, including lawn mowers, cars, trucks and boats. Safely maintain all types of automotive, marine, RV, lawn & garden and deep-cycle batteries.

Cutting-edge technology delivers superior performance. Charge 2x faster than ordinary chargers, repair damaged batteries, power DC devices and use with micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles and CANBUS charging systems."

Edited by sunvalleylaw

I 2nd this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-1200A-CA-SpeedCharge-Automatic-Battery/dp/B000BQSIWK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1490808664&sr=8-22&keywords=battery+chargers

I use it to quick charge my son's powerwheels.  It does 6v and 12v and auto selects type and charge method.  My Bu had two batteries that wouldn't hold a charge in January and I have used this charger to "maintain"....they both hold charges now.  It is fully automatic and has DESULFATION MODE.  I also like that it shows both voltage and % charge state.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

I 2nd this one:

I use it to quick charge my son's powerwheels.  It does 6v and 12v and auto selects type and charge method.  My Bu had two batteries that wouldn't hold a charge in January and I have used this charger to "maintain"....they both hold charges now.  It is fully automatic and has DESULFATION MODE.  I also like that it shows both voltage and % charge state.

Well, this one is almost half as expensive as the Noco, but people seem to like those Nocos.  Hmm.

ProMariner 50amp onboard for me.  I guess size/capacity of the charger will depend on total amp hours and how much/deep you deplete the batteries?  I know I'm missing some of the technical wording but that has some factor in the scheme of maintaining the batteries for extended life.

On 3/29/2017 at 0:35 PM, goodmatt78 said:

I 2nd this one:

Ordered this one.  Should be fine for my needs.  Refreshing the boat once in a while (usually just do it at the beginning and end of the season before pulling the boat out and as putting it away), an old Alfa that gets mostly stored, garden tractor, etc.  Will maybe use this new charger mid season if the boat is going to sit a while for some reason.

Edited by sunvalleylaw

The Schumacher automatically selects the charge rate, voltage and battery type.  It uses an algorithm and changes charge rates during the charge cycle.  You can also manually select it as well. 

3 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

The Schumacher automatically selects the charge rate, voltage and battery type.  It uses an algorithm and changes charge rates during the charge cycle.  You can also manually select it as well. 

So for me, just letting it do its thing via the algorithm that people, better at math than I, figured out seems the best plan.  Rather than trying to manually do anything.

Now having ordered a standalone rather than onboard charger, I am reminded that I prefer to keep the boat as simple as possible.  No computer screens, no stereos (I bring blue tooth speakers), no other systems not related to skiing, pulling, and riding comfort directly.  I can see why for many having the charger onboard is desired, but for me, when the boat lives in the garage where the charger lives, it seems better not to add stuff into the basic systems. 

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Just be conscience that i have never had a charger that always adjusts properly by itself. You may want to watch for that and manually set it. I have a different high end charger that i use for my deep cycle battery on my boat lift and it is supposed to adjust automatically to the battery type and charge, but everytime i use it, it selects AGM battery while the battery is a lead acid battery. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, sunvalleylaw said:

So for me, just letting it do its thing via the algorithm that people, better at math than I, figured out seems the best plan.  Rather than trying to manually do anything.

Now having ordered a standalone rather than onboard charger, I am reminded that I prefer to keep the boat as simple as possible.  No computer screens, no stereos (I bring blue tooth speakers), no other systems not related to skiing, pulling, and riding comfort directly.  I can see why for many having the charger onboard is desired, but for me, when the boat lives in the garage where the charger lives, it seems better not to add stuff into the basic systems. 

An onboard charger and the one you bought are pretty much exactly the same, except that the one you bought is going to get "added into your basic system" every time you connect and disconnect it, whereas the onboard charger just gets plugged in.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

An onboard charger and the one you bought are pretty much exactly the same, except that the one you bought is going to get "added into your basic system" every time you connect and disconnect it, whereas the onboard charger just gets plugged in.

Yeah, that was how I was viewing it.    I don't see a big reason to carry it around when I am not using it.  Partly because I was raised on salt water and like to keep small boat electronics very simple.  In many years of boating, I never really experienced a boat stereo system that lasted very long in a small boat.  I don't deal with salt now, but the tendency remains.  

On 3/29/2017 at 11:33 AM, semi said:

i have 2 of these and use them to charge ATV's, snowmobile and tractor batteries and its one of the best. Keep in mind this is a 3.5 amp charger. AGain, charging for size group 27 batteries even when only halfway used, will require more amp's.. suggest at least a 6 amp if not a 10 amp, it may charge it, but you will be waiting for quite a while. And if you have any deep cycles forget about it. 

this one is better suited if you don't want to install an onboard charger. It will do lead acid, AGM etc... and can act as a maintainer. 

Got this one in, and it is working just fine for what I need.  I freshened up my starting battery with it.  Thanks for the recommendations guys. 

• Like 2
On 3/29/2017 at 1:35 PM, goodmatt78 said:

I 2nd this one:

I've had the same one for several years.  Really nice compact smart charger and all the cords fit inside so it's easy to store and transport.

I got this one from Walmart with a gift card few years back:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XCS15-SpeedCharge-Battery-Charger/dp/B004EIDCFO/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1491419466&sr=1-4&keywords=schumacher+charger

I like the digital display.  I pull the batteries from everything over the winter and just rotate between the 2 boat batteries, the lift battery, and the mower battery like once a month in basement.  Thing I don't like about the 6V/12V chargers is that a completely dead battery registers as 6V and only charges halfway.  Drives me nuts. 

• Like 1