Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer welding needed SE Wisconsin- any suggestions?

mtnbkr738

it's been bent open like this for ten years or so.   i'm trailering it more now so i know that's gonna fall off. i've checked rest of trailer and it's all solid. 

I just Googled welders in Waukesha and several came up. You could take it to a shop or have them come to you. Lots of options. I'd just make a couple calls and go with your gut on it. These guys shoud know what they're doing.  It's not critical structure. Looks like a couple cuts and a few welds.

ok so i used paul's welding in brookfield. did a great job for $125. seemed like a lot of work for $125!  

next question

how do i get matching paint in a spray can to spray it in???  

i hate to bring it to a auto body shop due to high cost. i'm ok with a rattle can of matching paint

D39D7E3B-BD17-489F-A0D7-D630584761AC_zps

Edited by mtnbkr738

Hmm, why do I find it funny that you paid $125 for the welds and metal but you are too cheap to pay for the paint work to be done right?

The answer?  I own a body shop.  

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, mtnbkr738 said:

ok so i used paul's welding in brookfield. did a great job for $125. seemed like a lot of work for $125!  

next question

how do i get matching paint in a spray can to spray it in???  

i hate to bring it to a auto body shop due to high cost. i'm ok with a rattle can of matching paint

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s591/Mtnbkr738/Boat/D39D7E3B-BD17-489F-A0D7-D630584761AC_zpsyuciu6k8.jpg[/IMG]

An auto paint supplier will be able to match color and put it in a rattle can if you can bring them in a chip to scan.

12 minutes ago, rabiddawg said:

Hmm, why do I find it funny that you paid $125 for the welds and metal but you are too cheap to pay for the paint work to be done right?

The answer?  I own a body shop.  

What do you estimate for that?  Any shop around here wants to repaint the entire side of a car to fix a scratch, do you think most places would touch up a trailer for under $500?

Although if my trailer were purple I think id sand it a little and just herculine the whole thing.

Edited by oldjeep

I would say $200 (you buy the metal)cash would cover the whole job.  It's just me but I don't want my customers to feel I screwed them on something like this.  The hope is that they come back when they have that accident that their insurance is covering. :)

I would stop the paint work at the next corners.  

He might have to by a stripe.  I'm sure I don't have that five stripe in the shop.  

I would dress those welds too.  They gonna look even worse when he puts some shine on em.  

Edited by rabiddawg
1 minute ago, rabiddawg said:

I would say $200 cash.

I would stop the paint work at the next corners.  

He might have to by a stripe.  I'm sure I don't have that four stripe in the shop.  

I would dress those welds too.  They gonna look even worse when he puts some shine on em.  

Yeah the welds are pretty ugly even for stick welds, not sure i would grind those outer ones much, maybe some body filler.

Hi All.

wow. thx for all the opinions.

couple thoughts:

1) body shop in town is $165 per hour - so yeah this is a $500 spray job. and rightfully so...  they want to fix the welds and stripe it to match...as they dont want to be known as the "crappy" body shop...and i don't blame them. its a fair price for the work.

2) Lets face it, its a 18 yr old trailer... id rather spend $2k and repaint the entire thing then $500 to paint a guide post... I'm not a fan of the color for sure... so it is what it is.!!

3) napa- will match the paint and put in a rattle can for $30. Ill tape off, smooth out welds, and spray to the corners.

done!

thx all! 

WAwinegrapes

those are some ugly welds.  coming from an ex welder.  notice the holes/penetrations at the top of the weld on the right where it attaches to the trailer.

Get something to fill those in with, or water will get inside that weld and it'll be rusted out again.