Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used rudder- thoughts?

Hey guys I recently purchased a 90 Euro and (according to previous owner) the rudder in the boat is no longer made and has a plastic sleeve that has failed causing very difficult steering. My question is, would a good working rudder from an 87 Supra be compatible with my Malibu? I found a local guy parting out his Supra and his rudder is in good condition. It has a grease fitting and uses two orings. He is only asking $100. I haven't torn my rudder out because it's heavily tarped for winter and I don't have the time to pull it out at the moment. Does anyone have any knowledge on whether the 87 Supra rudder will line up correctly and work in my 90 euro? Any thoughts are appreciated thanks!

There is a rudder housing (thru-hole) and the rudder itself. I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your rudder? Providing the rudder shaft is the same diameter/length, etc., you can get a new housing and use existing rudder. If the rudder is different, then this can affect the wake/boat characteristics. 

Edited by malibuparadise

Wow thanks for the quick reply! I did find one on skidim and it is just shy of $500. The local dealership told previous owner the whole rudder and housing has to be replaced. So @malibuparadise I think you are correct in that my rudder is fine but it's my understanding I'll have to replace the rudder housing and rudder together (do to the failed housing). This guy has the housing and rudder for $100 so I guess I just make the time soon to either take mine out and match it up or call the skidim guys for info. Thanks again!

FYI, for me, taking out the OLD housing was a BEAR!!! I needed to use heat, penetrating oil. pounding, and finally made up a special jig to force the housing out of hull. You can damage the hull very easily if you force it out the wrong way!

PS I'll have to defer to others more technical than I, but I think if the rudder dimensions are similar, and the rudder post is not scored or damaged, you should be able to reuse it. I could not re-use, and guess what, my wake is very different and not as good, since the rudder shape is different than original...

1 minute ago, malibuparadise said:

FYI, for me, taking out the OLD housing was a BEAR!!! I needed to use heat, penetrating oil. pounding, and finally made up a special jig to force the housing out of hull. You can damage the hull very easily if you force it out the wrong way!

martinarcher

Here's a few threads that might be helpful....

Unfortunately the pics are gone on this one but the description is of the 90's era boat rudders and how one member rebuilt his....

This is my rebuild how-to on the 89 and earlier Malibu's.  If you are lucky and yours has this style rudder it can be a guide, if not you'll need a replacement for the red plastic inserts described in the thread above or a full replacement rudder box.  The other thing to do is make sure it is the rudder and not the cable itself.  To do this, disconnect the cable from the rudder tiller arm and see if the wheel is still stiff.  If not, it's the rudder.  If it is, you need a steering cable which is a more common cause of stiff steering in these older boats.

This thread talks about converting an old to a new rudder.  My post in that thread (post #2) will link you to more info on the difference between them (in an exhaust project I did).

Good luck!

Again thank you all! Great advice from everyone. I had no idea it may be difficult to remove, thought it would just "pop" right out, I should havebknown better. Again thanks and I'll update as soon as I start to diagnose! I have replaced a cable in a previous boat so I will check that first ?. Thanks for the links as well.