Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast

FlyBoyCoy

I asked this in a different thread so assuming it wasn't seen by as may be able to answer:

Re: 2016 23LSV bow ballast tank

Q1 : how much water weight in that little tank? (Guessing 250-300)

Q2: if I removed that tank and placed the lead shot ballast bags instead in that cavity how much more weight would the lead provide? (Guessing 400-500) I could fit 8 I'd think easily.

Q3: am I just totally off with my guesses?

just an idea 

6 minutes ago, FlyBoyCoy said:

I asked this in a different thread so assuming it wasn't seen by as may be able to answer:

Re: 2016 23LSV bow ballast tank

Q1 : how much water weight in that little tank? (Guessing 250-300)

Q2: if I removed that tank and placed the lead shot ballast bags instead in that cavity how much more weight would the lead provide? (Guessing 400-500) I could fit 8 I'd think easily.

Q3: am I just totally off with my guesses?

just an idea 

If it's a 2016 23LSV then the front ballast is 350lbs.  Stock on Malibu's before 2017, from 2011-2016 (and probably even earlier, I just know 2011 for sure as we had a '11 VTX) were all 350 front, 500 middle, 200 each side in back for a total of 1250 (not including PnP).  I am not sure how much lead you could fit, but I know a lot of people on the thread have removed front ballast tanks/not ordered it and either put lead or a fat sac in there.  Both will allow for more weight.  All depends on how you store your boat, if you trailer, etc.  If you're trailering, you don't want a lot of lead to be left in the boat, so would recommend fat sac.  If your boat is always in the water, lead is a better option.  If you're on a lift though, need to be careful of how much extra weight you can keep in there.  You will get more weight/area with lead than fat sac.  Lead is also very nice because you can move it around if needed.  Hope I was a help.

Another common solution, is to leave the bow tank and place a couple hundred pounds of lead next to it.  That way you don't go crazy on tongue weight, but still get more weight up front.

• Like 2

That is the process I am in right now. I'm tucking 200+ of lead around my bow tank.  It will add to the tongue and trailering weight but I don't think it will be all that much of a difference in the way it tows. If it does, I will come up with another alternative.    

You could easily fit 2000 pounds of lead up there if you deleted the tank.   Lead is 11.3 times more dense than water.  

I had some lead bricks that were 50 pounds each.  They were made from spent lead at a shooting range and were each melted into brownie pans.   Lead bags usually have shot in there, so there is a lot of wasted air space, but you get the idea.  

Edited by TallRedRider