Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom 28/32 off video

Addictedto6

We broke out the video camera this week to help make progress. I loaded up a couple of 28off and 32off passes on to youtube. Not my best passes, but typical of the mistakes that I'm making. Youtube doesn't have the best quality, but it should work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeBm5QZvuBE

I think I've identified a few things to work on, but would love to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 20th opinion. So let me have it!

have you tried wakeboarding Biggrin.gif

Looked like good runs to me Dontknow.gif

I decided I'm too old to wakeboard....hurts too much Biggrin.gif

somewhat related.. what lake is that? Looks familiar

have you tried wakeboarding Biggrin.gif

Looked like good runs to me Dontknow.gif

I decided I'm too old to wakeboard....hurts too much Biggrin.gif

somewhat related.. what lake is that? Looks familiar

stillwater ranch

After looking at it again when we did the clinic Ski6 told me to start my transition behind the boat and keep my elbow tucked in with a gradual release of the handle. I looks like to me that you may be staring your transition to late especially at 32 then carrying to much speed into the turn and letting your arms come up. Your 28 off looks good to me but I don’t know much so be skeptical of my opinion.

Nice looking run! I agree w/baumer - think your pulling too long into the ball. I do the exact same thing and finally made it past this pass at ski school this Spring. Coach would hit the rope when the tail of my ski hit the center of the wakes. This is where she wanted me to begin my edge change. This only works if you keep your arms in, otherwise you'll be narrow. Also think about keeping your chest up into the turn (squeeze your shoulder blades together).

Hope this helps. If I could remember to do it, I'd be a much better skier! :)

Looks good to me. I'm into 22off at 34 and have only gotten into 28 a couple of times. It's amazing how much faster things happen at 28 than 22. I'm pulling too long and carry too much speed into the turn. I can get away with it at 22 but at 28 I get behind real fast.

Ummm ok, here's the things I saw wrong...

Boat's going too fast.

Wake not big enough.

Feet in incorrect one-foot-in-front-of-the-other fashion.

No back seat on that V-drive.

No girls in bikinis.

And, you're exerting yourself way too much to be having fun.

Otherwise, looked great, nice flat water.

We broke out the video camera this week to help make progress. I loaded up a couple of 28off and 32off passes on to youtube. Not my best passes, but typical of the mistakes that I'm making. Youtube doesn't have the best quality, but it should work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeBm5QZvuBE

I think I've identified a few things to work on, but would love to get 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 20th opinion. So let me have it!

Kevin, email me the video as I can't see from work, they block streaming here. What I can say without even seeing the video is that at the clinic I remember you telling me that you hoped that someday you could run 28 again. So, if you're back at 28 and running some or most than you've made great progress!

Baumer had some great general comments, someone was listening during the clinic!

Looks good to me. What boat speed are you running? Keep your chest out, for me that is one of the hardest things to remember to do.

Looks good to me. I am better at critiquing from the boat than video. With only a month or so of decent morning slalom weather I hope to run 28 off before the end of the season.

Looks good to me. What boat speed are you running? Keep your chest out, for me that is one of the hardest things to remember to do.

Running 34mph.

thanks to everyone for the feedback so far.

Had to watch it twice after everyone's comments but you asked so here goes............. Biggrin.gif

In my opinion you are actually not pulling long enough. You should be in your strongest pulling position behind the boat and you are actually letting up before the first wake, going flat behind the boat and ending up narrow and late. If you will start your edge change at or after the second wake keeping the handle "down" it will allow your ski to continue out instead of down course. Just my opinion but if you watch in slow motion you will see what I mean......... Innocent.gif

Good skiing though.....make this small adjustment and 32 will be history............!

Looking good Kevin, we talked via email but I thought I would post some thought here too so as to share with others too.

The first thing to work on is your start. The start becomes more and more critical as the line shortens. Get high up on the boat and stay there until you're ready to turn in. From the video you can see that the line is on the rear quater of the boat when you turn in, move this point up to somewhere on the side of the boat, and then don't drop back. For sure this is a timing thing. This will allow you to make a nice turn in for one and set a nice relaxed pace for the rest of the course.

I liked where you were transitioning you edge, I disagree with malibuowner, with the newer skis it's easy to achieve enough speed to start the edge change right behind the boat. The key to this is not to let up on the boat but to stop acclerating and make the boat drag you the rest of the way to the buoy. To do this you elbows have to be in tight to you body and your torso has to be tight and upright with shoulders back. When this is done correctly, you will be loaded by the boat through this phase. This point is important because if you let up on the boat during this phase it means you have gone flat and have turned into the buoy making you narrow- bad.

That's enough for now, everybody is probably asleep now...

skisix............I actually tell "myself" to change edges behind the boat, so in reality we are on the same page. The key phrase in what you are saying is "right behind the boat". You can see in the video that he is starting to let up at the first wake instead of "right behind the boat".

Not trying to start an argument just trying to help.........

Addicted........ I totally agree with skisix on your gates. Starting farther up on the boat will put you into one ball wider and earlier.