Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Value of 98 sportster please help.

Malibumike421

Hi.  I'm new to this forum but have read up a lot on engine hours and some other topics now in trying to piece this together.   I previously owned a 95 echelon LX but unfortunately had to sell due to finances. I now have a younger son and am looking to get out of my old wooden classic to get something I can introduce my son to watersports with.  I'm seriously looking at a 98 sportster but I have a few concerns.  First off it has 1200 hours.  From the maintenance records it seems it's never had anything other than normal oil and winterizations done.  The interior was redone and looks good.  It has some fading and scratches in the gelcoat but a big concern of mine is a fiberglass repair to the keel.  It appears to still be bare fiberglass and was never colored over with the gelcoat color. I know I took a big hit because mine had a properly done repair.  So any ideas on a price for this boat? Comes with trailer but no other accessories or a cover.  I was told it was always garage stored.  Thanks. 

Mike 

Thanks for the info.  This boat seems to be priced low but the more info I ask for the more vague the responses are getting.  Seems like a red flag to me.  I contacted the marina the supposedly took care of the boat but the current owner (seller) says he doesn't even know the last name of the previous owner for me to get the records.  

One of my lake buddies has a sportster, 98 I believe with around the same amount of hours. He hasn't had a single problem, the interior is in amazing shape. If you are questioning this boat I would keep looking there are some boats in amazing shape out there. 

Thanks again for the info again.  Seems there are quite a few boats out there, especially on ski it again.  Unfortunately not much in my area. Craigslist has a couple but people never get back to you. Also seems anything that has an open bow makes the price fly up.  Keep any suggestions coming! Thanks guys. 

so I have another topic started about a boat I found and was really hoping worked out.  It was in NC.  I was just about to leave to drive 9 hours when the owner called me and told me he went to get it ready for me to see and when he started it the engine block had cracked over the winter so I'm back on the hunt.  If anyone knows of anything under 15k with an open bow in decent shape please post it.  Thanks. 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:21 PM, Malibumike421 said:

so I have another topic started about a boat I found and was really hoping worked out.  It was in NC.  I was just about to leave to drive 9 hours when the owner called me and told me he went to get it ready for me to see and when he started it the engine block had cracked over the winter so I'm back on the hunt.  If anyone knows of anything under 15k with an open bow in decent shape please post it.  Thanks. 

I have a '94 Echelon with the 454EFI (395 horse) that I will be listing soon for way less than 15.  But, it is closed bow. 

I purchased a 1998 Response LX with similar hours to the one right above for a few grand less than that price mid-late last summer (first of August). That boat above doesn't look too bad from the pics but other boats and deals may be out there.  Oh, I should say mine does not have a wedge, but mine does have an older speed control system on it that is similar in operation to the old perfect pass.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw

https://appleton.craigslist.org/boa/6059918448.html I looked at it last fall, and the inside is very clean.  I do know the owner, but haven't been in the boat. It's a way for you but can look at it.

Closed bow, http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=41308  crew member

If the engine is strong, I would go with this and give it some interior loving, http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=38437  also a crew member

In your state, http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=39367

2 hours ago, sunvalleylaw said:

I purchased a 1998 Response LX with similar hours to the one right above for a few grand less than that price mid-late last summer (first of August). That boat above doesn't look too bad from the pics but other boats and deals may be out there.  Oh, I should say mine does not have a wedge, but mine does have an older speed control system on it that is similar in operation to the old perfect pass.  

That boat did have perfect pass but I don't know how good it was in the 90's.

• Like 1