Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

JJs stero build.

Chrisjjbrown

So I finally pulled the trigger on some new stero equipment.   When it comes to steros I am retarded ....so please answer or leave feedback here like I know absolutely nothing ...... because I don't  

This started because I lost an amp powering my stock sub. 

Which I am pretty sure is still good.  So instead of replacing that amp and moving on I decided to revamp my set up.   

I will be puttting that sub in a qbomb ( that I have had for a year sitting in my garage). Stock sub below

0E329664-1BEF-414B-8CD5-07B539C9C11C_zps

I got a good deal from a local shop on a set of Rev 10s , SD 4 amp , and 420 BT. 

3BDF2BC0-FEAF-486D-A0E3-421CA317A1BC_zps

Now I had these two amps in my boat p400 and p500

5CEAA9D8-39B5-4F6E-8F1B-E2322BAC16E5_zps

ABAF3FBD-2B37-4B55-9FAC-F203629D24A4_zps

The one powering the sub is bad.    Which would that be ? ( boat is in storage still and I forget)

I will be keeping the amp that is good but I need to know the best way to wire it up. Is this possible w the 2 amps  ( Sd 4 and one of the amps above)

2013 VTX - So my set up is as follows - 4 inboats , 1 stock sub and Rev 10s 

Also the Inboats are either Daisy chained to the towers or are being powered by the head unit?   Is this possible......As I only have 4 speaker wires going to the amp currently powering the 2 stock towers.   I assume the inboats are running to that amp or the head unit because they still play music when the speakers wires were disconnected from the amp powering the sub  

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

Go back to the shop and trade the SD-4 for two Syn-DX4. One to drive the Rev-10s and the other to drive the in-boats.

10 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

The one powering the sub is bad.    Which would that be ?

The bad one? Not trying to be a smart arse, but you have determined you have a dead woofer amp, but you dont know which one you diagnosed as bad? In all honesty, either could be driving the woofer, but if I had to guess, id say its the P400-2 on the woofer and the P500-2 was for the OEM tower speakers. If so, use the P500-2 for the woofer. Other wise, the P400-2 will do just fine.

Bottom line, you need to diagnose the root issue, prior to the overhaul.   

45 minutes ago, MLA said:

Go back to the shop and trade the SD-4 for two Syn-DX4. One to drive the Rev-10s and the other to drive the in-boats.

The bad one? Not trying to be a smart arse, but you have determined you have a dead woofer amp, but you dont know which one you diagnosed as bad? In all honesty, either could be driving the woofer, but if I had to guess, id say its the P400-2 on the woofer and the P500-2 was for the OEM tower speakers. If so, use the P500-2 for the woofer. Other wise, the P400-2 will do just fine.

Bottom line, you need to diagnose the root issue, prior to the overhaul.   

The SD 4 I picked up for 540 bucks so I will be keeping that   

Is it not possible to drive the towers and the sub on that amp?  Or towers and inboats?

Yes I forget which amp was bad. I am fairly confident the amp is bad because I switched the wires around and music would play off the good amp and the other amp the sub would pop and crack occasionally but most the time I got nothing.  I also tested w muti meter ext.  

I looked at this in the fall.   I think you are correct as it was the P400- 2 on the sub.  Just wanted to know if either of the amps could drive the sub or inboats 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Also you are going to want (I would want) the cabin speakers on an amp if you are going to be pushing the towers with an SD4.

^^^Very true. Also, once you add a low-pass subwoofer, there are great advantages for the cabin speakers once they are high-passed, namely a perceived + 6dB, not to mention the added power.   

Four channels of an SD4 bridged into a pair of Rev10s is a bit over-the-top. However, just two channels is lite for what the Rev10 potential is. You can fix over-the-top by proper gain setting and disciplined use. But you can't fix lite. So stay with the SD4 to the tower.

If you have four in-cabin speakers distributed between two different locations, then run an HTX4, perhaps an HTX6 if you have six total in-cabin speakers. You'll be set for now and for any future upgrades. 

3 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

The SD 4 I picked up for 540 bucks so I will be keeping that

So im guessing this was a one time discount? its not the price you paid, I really have no interest in that. its about whats the best for what ever you are spending. if the shop is willing to extend the same % discount to a pair of Syn-DX-4. At that point, you've got a better setup at almost the same investment. A deep discount on one amp will be offset if you now have to go buy another because it does not have enough chnls to drive all the speakers or it grossly under powers some portion of the system. 

So, take the good amp (P500-2 or P400-2) and drive the woofer and take the SD-4 and drive everything else. Rev-10 get about 185W and each in-boat has a potential of 160w rms, likely way more than they need, so thats good head room. 

28 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Have you checked the fuses on the "bad" amp?

Found my current set up.  The amp in the back is sunning the sub.   Is that a 500.2

where would the fuses be.  I have not seen any on these amps. 

Is there an inline fuse behind the amp board?

1A2C12FA-7EE7-4E2C-8A7B-DE4CA94FD579_zps

Edited by Chrisjjbrown

those series amp do not have chassis mounted fuses and Malibu typically only uses a single main fuse on the trunk supply B+. However, its still a good idea to test for 12V across the power cable and turn-on lead if there is not power light illuminated on the amp.

Just now, MLA said:

those series amp do not have chassis mounted fuses and Malibu typically only uses a single main fuse on the trunk supply B+. However, its still a good idea to test for 12V across the power cable and turn-on lead if there is not power light illuminated on the amp.

The power light was on

Ok, normal mode or protect mode? 

Test the woofer circuit impedance with the leads disconnected at the amp. 

swap RCA with the other amp or take a 3.5mm x RCA direct to the RCA inputs to confirm theres a music signal there

So I have decided to go w an exile javelin amp, since wetsounds doesn't have a 5 channel amp. 

So my final set up is 

wetsounds SD4 powering the Rev 10

javelin powering 4 inboats and sub  

ws 420 bt  

It looks like I would need two more amps from wetsounds or 1 wetsounds and then have the 400.2 powering either the sub or in boats .... But not very well.    I was considering the htx-4 and the htx-2.  

This will keep my set up at 2 amps and will allow me to power my inboats and sub on the same amp. 

So I will have Titan Towers and and 400.2 for sale soon.    PM me if you want them.  

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
5 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

So I have decided to go w an exile javelin amp, since wetsounds doesn't have a 5 channel amp. 

So my final set up is 

wetsounds SD4 powering the Rev 10

javelin powering 4 inboats and sub  

ws 420 bt  

It looks like I would need two more amps from wetsounds or 1 wetsounds and then have the 400.2 powering either the sub or in boats .... But not very well.    I was considering the htx-4 and the htx-2.  

This will keep my set up at 2 amps and will allow me to power my inboats and sub on the same amp. 

So I will have Titan Towers and and 400.2 for sale soon.    PM me if you want them.  

Wet Sounds Syn-DX6 will drive 4 pair of in-boats at about 100W rms to each and a woofer at 600W.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/SYN-DX6  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Thanks for the info but at 900 bucks I will pass. 

You can get RF R600-4D amps for < $200 on Amazon.  4 x 100 watts into 4 ohms or 2 x 300 watts.  Kicker 600 watt Class D amp into 4 ohm for $160.

I just got an Alpine 4 x 100 plus 1 x 500 Class D on Craig's List for $250.

Lots of good power out there in automotive amps if you look for it.

Ok guys a have a couple more questions.   

Has anyone ever installed a Qbomb in a VTX.  I have read the threads about getting it off the floor but as you can see there isn't a lot of room before you are out past the side wall. 

I will be getting the boat out of storage soon so then I guess I will know for sure   

A9DAD669-BE0F-4D9F-B4BE-8192210C1CBE_zps

Also will I need to make any Bimini modifications.  

My mounts for the Rev 10s are the TC3-s   I ordered the single set G3 adapter and Bimini relocation plate - 

Here is my current Bimini- I am not sure which one it is all I know is it has the 2 poles that attach the the front of the tower to help support it.   

B559DD04-53D7-4992-ADB1-703024B600AD_zps

Please chime in with any other potential pitfalls I am not accounting for. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
On 3/27/2017 at 7:04 PM, Chrisjjbrown said:

Thanks for the info but at 900 bucks I will pass. 

I bet you could pick this amp up around 650 range if you looked ?

Good power is worth every penny...

Edited by ConnollyCrew
On 3/28/2017 at 0:09 PM, Chrisjjbrown said:

Ok guys a have a couple more questions.   

Has anyone ever installed a Qbomb in a VTX.  

Please chime in with any other potential pitfalls I am not accounting for. 

Getting the qbomb in there is going to be fun.  Probably going to have to raise the box to clear the side wall step piece and bring the kick panel out a little.  there is a slick way to do that without messing with your current carpet.  @Murphy8166 can you post your pics of the overhanging kick panel?

You have probably already heard this, but return your current single mounts and spring for the dual mounts for the rev 10s even though you are only going to run one pair.  Why?  The dual mounts get the Rev10s super "high and tight" and as far out of the cabin as possible on the G3.  Worth it from a "bang your head on that mf'r" perspective and from a "blast the wife out of the back of the cabin one more time and I'm throwing those speakers in the lake" perspective.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

I bet you could pick this amp up around 650 range if you looked ?

Good power is worth every penny...

Thanks .... I am all set though.   

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Getting the qbomb in there is going to be fun.  Probably going to have to raise the box to clear the side wall step piece and bring the kick panel out a little.  there is a slick way to do that without messing with your current carpet.  @Murphy8166 can you post your pics of the overhanging kick panel?

You have probably already heard this, but return your current single mounts and spring for the dual mounts for the rev 10s even though you are only going to run one pair.  Why?  The dual mounts get the Rev10s super "high and tight" and as far out of the cabin as possible on the G3.  Worth it from a "bang your head on that mf'r" perspective and from a "blast the wife out of the back of the cabin one more time and I'm throwing those speakers in the lake" perspective.

Shawn thanks for info.  I might need to hit you up if i run into any issues since your the stero master.

Completely off topic but I remember a thread last year where you recommended some blue liquid detailer as opposed to boat candy or boat bling for half the cost.    But I can't seem to find that thread. 

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Huh. @Chrisjjbrown I wonder where he could of heard that.

• Like 2