Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Model of stock sub on 2016 and box volume

hethj7

I have been searching but haven't found answers to this surprisingly- what model is the stock 12" RF sub Malibu uses and what is the recommended sealed box volume?  

4 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I have been searching but haven't found answers to this surprisingly- what model is the stock 12" RF sub Malibu uses and what is the recommended sealed box volume?  

I'll guess it's the RF #M212S4 (PM212S4B). The Rockford Fosgate specs are sketchy at best related to the true driver displacement. So that makes the determination of the precise enclosure difficult. If you use a sealed enclosure of 1.1 min to 1.2 max gross internal (before deducting the driver displacement), you should have a good and balanced subwoofer based on a final system (driver in box) Qtc of around .85. A good target.

Also, that RF sub has a 2-inch voice coil so an amplifier with 300 honest watts into a 4-ohm load would be the sweet spot.  

In a quality box, that sub can do a good job.

But verify the model.

They typically are, as well as most of the rest of the amp setting being all over the place. However, the OEM enclosure HAS to be addressed, before any amp settings will make an improvement. 

Ah yes, the stock "box".  Mine was actually better than some I have seen on here. lol

After the box is built and the Wetsounds 420 install is done, I will tune amps,which definitely will involve turning them up  

763C79D4-F54C-4A69-82AA-0A41B71338AA_zps

BFD54B45-5A66-4F0E-AF1C-DF5773B65E82_zps

7707789B-12EA-4496-935D-58991465555E_zps

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread for a quick minute.  I bought @hethj7’s old 2016 23 LSV last year and want to upgrade the bass a little.  He built a good box (see pic) for the stock and tuned the amps, but it’s still lacking.

Questions...

1) If I were to swap the factory RF 12” out for a WS REVO 12 XXX or a JL M7-12 with no additional changes, what should my expectations be?  

2) How simple is it to swap?  Pull the old and the new plugs right in?  Should it fit the box?  What about the grill - easy to use the WS or JL?

Thanks!

D609020C-9D21-4200-B8BF-4A48A33DA672.jpeg

B8132549-2EF1-4999-9FCB-5C03FF4FF9AF.jpeg

4 hours ago, OnTheWater said:

with no additional changes, what should my expectations be?

Low. You are swapping one 12" woofer for another, so the amount of moved air, will be about the same. So no real increase in bass output. Will either of those woofers sound the same as the existing? No, there will likely be a change in how it sounds. Now, one those woofers you listed as "IB" in is full model number. This indicates its designed for infinite-baffle. No idea how it would sound in small sealed enclosure, likely not very well.