Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T22 Sub Upgrade

ndahlberg12

Sitting here on a rainy day brainstorming.

My spring project is to pull my sub from my 2015 T22 and build an enclosure to try and get more low end output. Then my mind starting drifting, if I'm going to pull it apart, would this be the time to upgrade to a 12in sub?

Is it worth upgrading to a 12 in an enclosure and keeping the factory amp? Or just put the factory sub in an enclosure?

I'm not near the boat so I can't check what amp is driving the current one. 

Raining?  Good time to get online and buy new stuff! 

If you want a noticeable difference go up to a 12 inch driven by 500 or more watts.  The gurus say you have to double the power to really notice a difference.  If you like bass then incremental steps will end up costing more than going right to where you want to be.  My half way step in the Bu was an RF 12 inch driven by 300 watts.  Currently putting in a WS 12 inch with 500 watts behind it.  I have the WS 12 with a Kicker 600 watt amp in another boat and you can really tell the difference.  You can get a "refurbished" (actually new in a plain box but only 1 year warranty) Kicker 600 watt amp on Amazon for under $200.

3 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

Is it worth upgrading to a 12

It would be worth it to upgrade to a 12, period. Even is amp wattage stayed the same and you ran it with another IB woofer like the Wet Sounds Revo-12FA. You gain the extra output from the added surface area, regardless. In my experience, the issue with OEM setup is the lack of all 6 screws to mount the woofer, thin backing plate on a large flexible plastic insert, air leaks around the plastic insert and poor tuning. Once these are corrected, the woofer performs as it should. Is it a 12" woofer? no, its still a 10. No 10" is a 12".