Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing trailer guide posts

billritchie

• 2 years later...

Could a metal fabrication shop do this modification for me? It’s a PITA to take off the guideposts every time I  put in or take out the boat from the garage. 

8 hours ago, 135guy said:

Could a metal fabrication shop do this modification for me? It’s a PITA to take off the guideposts every time I  put in or take out the boat from the garage. 

Sure - but the issue will be repainting.  Lots of options to quick attach them  - pins, collars, bolts etc.

2 hours ago, gregtay said:

I still need to do this project... I also need to take the poles off to get in the garage and it is such a PITA.

How are they attached now?  

12 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

How are they attached now?  

As mentioned in this thread.. they are bolted through but the lazy way Malibu designed it you must fully tighten the bolts for the poles to attach properly... so you can not pin them, etc.  The only real solution is cutting the guides, adding a sleeve and then you can pin the upper and lower parts of the guide pole (with the sleeve being the connector)

6 minutes ago, gregtay said:

As mentioned in this thread.. they are bolted through but the lazy way Malibu designed it you must fully tighten the bolts for the poles to attach properly... so you can not pin them, etc.  The only real solution is cutting the guides, adding a sleeve and then you can pin the upper and lower parts of the guide pole (with the sleeve being the connector)

My question was directed to @135guy - not sure if he was the same set-up or not.  The OP's photos show a  set-up that I have to wonder why malibu made it that way in the first place?  His fix is pretty good, though I wonder about wobbling as the pipe fit would have to be prefectly nested.  And maybe it is the paranoid side of me, but I would have that retainer clip on the outside of the pole.