Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bunk Alignment

ahopkins22LSV

ahopkins22LSV

Last year I had my trailer re-painted. At this time I took advantage to replace the bunks because there was some damage from one miss load. (luckily it was just the bunks, no boat damage).

Before we took the old bunks off, we drilled holes in the bunks inline with holes on the mounting plates. Then we drilled the new holes in the new bunks. Well, one or more isn't in the correct position because now you have to have the trailer at the perfect depth for it to align the boat correctly. The boat always gets pushed left (standing behind the boat) when it is off. What I think is wrong is the the front left bunk (again standing behind the boat/trailer) is pushing the bow to the right when loading causing the boat to be off to the left at the back.

My questions are, has anyone had this problem and been able to diagnose it and fix it?

OR

To those whom have replaced their bunks how did you align them?

TIA

I needed to adjust the rear bunks a little wider after recarpeting, was barely sitting on the left stake.

100_4499_zpsljcddmgw.jpg

Who did you use for painting. 

Edited by onamission

If you have used the boat a few times since re bunked, you should be able to see if one side has more pressure than the other by the carpet flattening.

Or, you could see if you can push something thin like rigid plastic to use like a feeler gauge around the edges of the front bunks to gauge if one has more pressure than the other while the boat is in the trailer.

if you used lag bolts & not through recessed cup head bolts, you could jack the front of the trailer up, prop the front just before the fins, unhook the bow hook the new drop the trailer to lift the hull at the front off the bunks to allow for some re packing, shimming or re alignment.

just the jockey wheel wil work for this process to control the lowering.

Would it be possible even after marking & copying the old bunks the new ones could be reversed or on the wrong side?.

if you can identify pressure points outlined with a shim, next time the boat  is off the trailer, set up a centreline string line to allow to check the distance from the Center line & height to each bunk.

May help to work out if only one or more are not quite right.

even though you copied the original bunk bolt locations, how much care do you think the factory took with the original bunk locations?

I had troubles with through carriage bolts spinning. Had to cut a slot in the tail of the bolt for a screw driver to hold the bolt to allow to loosen, pack & re tighten.

ahopkins22LSV

I guess it is possible that I put the left on the right side or vise versa, but not very probable. I did them one at a time.

String for the center line is a good idea. That may tell me which one is closer to the center pushing the boat around.

I suspect the factory location was good because I never had this issue before. The boat would always load centered on the trailer. Now the rear will be so far to the left the strake is sitting on the bunk.

My carriage bolts held good. Although, when I test a new position for a bunk(s) this spring I am going to use lag bolts. I should be able to make adjustments to where the bunk is a couple times, if needed. 

44 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I guess it is possible that I put the left on the right side or vise versa, but not very probable. I did them one at a time.

String for the center line is a good idea. That may tell me which one is closer to the center pushing the boat around.

I suspect the factory location was good because I never had this issue before. The boat would always load centered on the trailer. Now the rear will be so far to the left the strake is sitting on the bunk.

My carriage bolts held good. Although, when I test a new position for a bunk(s) this spring I am going to use lag bolts. I should be able to make adjustments to where the bunk is a couple times, if needed. 

I had this problem for a while.  In my situation it was cause by the current at my boat launch pushing the boat to the side.    The bunks couldn't quite overcome the force of the water.  My solution was, when I replaced my bunks, I increased the separation the rear bunks by about an inch.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I had this problem for a while.  In my situation it was cause by the current at my boat launch pushing the boat to the side.    The bunks couldn't quite overcome the force of the water.  My solution was, when I replaced my bunks, I increased the separation the rear bunks by about an inch.

Ah, that is a possibility too. The rear bunks being too close together that is. Our ramp is very level. Both fenders go under within a few inches of the trailer moving backwards so I don't think that is it.

I just had another idea though... my friend has a 2011 LXi. If his strakes are in the same location as they are on my boat I will just measure his trailer as we have the same Eagle trailers! Or I will find one at the dealer to measure.