Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX 15 inch Prop Questions

jebbo

Looking at getting a new Prop for our 2007 VLX.
Engine = Indmar Hammerhead 383, 6.2L 400 HP
Elevation = 660 ft

We are mostly into wakeboarding but jumped heavily into surfing last year after a buddy of mine gave me two 750lb sacks which we hooked up to the ballast tanks as overflow. (We're lazy and don't want to manual fill)
Anyways, stock prop was having a lot of trouble with extra weight and 6 people on board.
We still want to be able to wakeboard but need a prop that can handle the load for surfing, while not washing out the wake if we are boarding.
I have spent about 4 hours tonight reading different threads here, including the famous ACME V-drive Prop Comparison Guide by Nitrousbird. (thanks for that by the way, very helpful)

My question is that now that the 15 in Props are out, I haven't seen a lot of people here talking about them. Which one would you recommend for our boat and use?
(I am looking at the Acme 2315, 2249 and 2773)

Everything recommended is 14.5 in (ie. 1235 and 2079) but I don't know if that is because the 15 in Props haven't been out long enough or is it a clearance issue on our boat?

Edited by jebbo

I have a 2006 VLX and I don't think a 15 inch prop will fit.  I'll measure this weekend.  I've run an Acme 1235 for years, but picked up a 2079 this winter.  We're surfing a lot more and our crew seems to be growing.

A 15" prop should fit.  I have a 14.5 on my 06 vlx.  I would have gone with a 15 but I have clearance issues with my trailer.   I'm sure a factory trailer will have enough clearance for a 15" prop.

15 fits perfectly fine on the 05-08 VLX. It is only 1/4 inch closer to the boat than a 14.5. I recommend a 2315 prop or similar. You won't regret it if you wakeboard or surf with a lot of weight. If you insist on a 14.5 the 2079 was a really good prop for me. 

If you are having trailer clearance issues I would suggest modifying the trailer. There isn't a lot of difference in these props and if a 15 doesn't clear you are dangerously close with any of the other sizes. When I first got my boat the bunks had come slightly loose and shifted causing me to have to back too deep and the prop hit a couple times. This was with a 13.5" prop. Replacing the bunks and positioning them correctly solved the problem. 

Good notes. Thank you all for the feedback. I'll have to check the trailer clearance this weekend. I may even de-winterize this weekend too and warm her up.

Robbennett, Thanks for the info, I'll look into the 2315. If the 15 inch won't clear, I'll settle for the 2079 or the "Ol Tried and True" 1235. 
Side note: Hit me up if you are ever in the Lake Lanier or Hartwell area. We only go out to Allatoona once a year for PWT.

5 hours ago, nlouthan said:

I have a 2006 VLX and I don't think a 15 inch prop will fit.  I'll measure this weekend.  I've run an Acme 1235 for years, but picked up a 2079 this winter.  We're surfing a lot more and our crew seems to be growing.

Malibu has never made a V-drive that won't clear a 15" prop with more than the minimum clearance.  

I run the 2273.  Mind you it is a different hull and motor combo.  I have been very happy with the pulling power/holdshot and even top speed; I run 3200lbs of total ballast when surfing.  The motor runs with very little effort and I can still slalom without winding the motor out to the moon.

The reason you see all the 14.5" prop recommendations is they were around forever where the 15" only became popular in the last couple of years.  Then people read these older threads and folks with 14.5" props keep recommending what they already have, propagating the repeat use the 14.5" props.  Most wakeboat users would benefit from running a 15" prop.  

Here is the guide I created:

Edited by Nitrousbird
23 hours ago, jebbo said:

Good notes. Thank you all for the feedback. I'll have to check the trailer clearance this weekend. I may even de-winterize this weekend too and warm her up.

Robbennett, Thanks for the info, I'll look into the 2315. If the 15 inch won't clear, I'll settle for the 2079 or the "Ol Tried and True" 1235. 
Side note: Hit me up if you are ever in the Lake Lanier or Hartwell area. We only go out to Allatoona once a year for PWT.

Yeah I plan to get up to Hartwell sometime this summer! I'll let you know if I can make it happen. 

For the 15 inch guys, how much clearance do you have and do have any gel coat issues?  My 1235 clears by just over 1-1/8".  I'm not sure that going another 1/4" closer is a wise idea.

Wasn't able to measure the clearance this weekend. Had some things come up, but I should be able to take trailer measurements next weekend.
Thank you for the links and info Nitrousbird. 

2 hours ago, nlouthan said:

For the 15 inch guys, how much clearance do you have and do have any gel coat issues?  My 1235 clears by just over 1-1/8".  I'm not sure that going another 1/4" closer is a wise idea.

That's a good point. I read in another posts here that some others were concerned about gel coat issues once you move up to the 15 inch. Would a 1/4" closer to the hull really make that much of a difference?

Out of curiosity why do you need a 15"?  I ran my VLX with 3800 pounds a mile high & the 1235 was more than enough prop.  My MB is a different story with one of the most aggressive props you can get & I burn a ton of fuel with it.

11 hours ago, jebbo said:

Wasn't able to measure the clearance this weekend. Had some things come up, but I should be able to take trailer measurements next weekend.
Thank you for the links and info Nitrousbird. 

That's a good point. I read in another posts here that some others were concerned about gel coat issues once you move up to the 15 inch. Would a 1/4" closer to the hull really make that much of a difference?

Makes no difference at all. I ran a 15" prop on my last boat four seasons, heavily loaded, surfed the crap out of it with NO gel burn issues what so ever. 

Gel burn is a real issue, but a 15" prop on a Malibu is nowhere near close enough to he hull for it to be a major concern. 

On March 26, 2017 at 7:46 AM, racer808 said:

Out of curiosity why do you need a 15"?  I ran my VLX with 3800 pounds a mile high & the 1235 was more than enough prop.  My MB is a different story with one of the most aggressive props you can get & I burn a ton of fuel with it.

Just looking at 15 inch because it sounds like it would be better for a surf/wake combo. I haven't seen a lot of people here discuss the 15 inch props on an older boat (2007). 
I haven't given up on the 14.5's but before I throw the money down, want to see what else is out there and 15 inch sounded good to me.

2 hours ago, jebbo said:

Just looking at 15 inch because it sounds like it would be better for a surf/wake combo. I haven't seen a lot of people here discuss the 15 inch props on an older boat (2007). 
I haven't given up on the 14.5's but before I throw the money down, want to see what else is out there and 15 inch sounded good to me.

Good news is you won't get gel burn, MB says not to run over a 14.5" & mine 15 has been fine.  I am sort of wondering if the 15" prop won't have your RPM's out of sorts or if you'll just be burning unnecessary fuel .  My two cents, you can pick up 1235's cheap & have more than enough prop.  In fact, I just traded my 1235 to a guy on here cause his 2079 was too much & I only kept it around for a spare.  That's the crappy part about props, can't just test them out & take them back.  If you do go to a 15" prop, you can about double the amount of ballast you run, so that'll be good & fun for the rider.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:13 PM, nlouthan said:

Wakemaker recommends 3/4" and a bare minimum of 5/8"

https://www.wakemakers.com/resources/wakemakers-basic-prop-guide/

You will be over 3/4" so you are perfectly fine.  Again, Malibu hasn't sold a V-drive that can't safely run a 15" prop.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2419 (15x12) on mine. Have had it for a season and love it. I surf with 4000 lbs ballast, a shaper and a wedge down. It fits!

Edit: found a crappy picture. 

2016-05-26%2017.23.54.jpg?dl=0

Edited by 95echelon
On 3/26/2017 at 7:46 AM, racer808 said:

I would love to try a 1235. Might get more top end. However I can say my fuel economy is insanely good on the 2419. I cannot say it would be any worse with the 1235.