Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
RyanB

Dyno Test of HD Diesels

Recommended Posts

RyanB

FLT did a "dyno day" at ATS.  All 3 2017 trucks.  Same day, same person running the tests.  Results were a little surprising given the results of the test they did climbing I 70 up Eisenhower tunnel.

 

RAM, rated at 385 HP / 900 TQ dynoed at 338/828

FORD, rated 440/925 dynoed at 387/806

Chevy, rated 445/910 dynoed at 337/771

 

All good trucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMan

That Chevy looks to be a bit over-rated on horsepower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamaboy
9 minutes ago, MadMan said:

That Chevy looks to be a bit over-rated on horsepower.

The hood scoop is sick though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

They all have sick torque and can pull stacks of weight up hill, all day long, despite the apparently inflated numbers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nyryan2001

Chevy lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tjklein

I'd be curious of this.  I've had my 2016 duramax on a dyno and it did very well.  You may want search out results on the net.  Lots of info out there.  Ford is number one but the duramax isn't that far behind.  The transmission does make a huge difference.  

(Yes, dynos vary wildly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

Both my '13 and my '16 Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison combo will pull (pulled) my 36' 11k lbs. TT and 14k lbs. dump trailer over the NW passes with the cruise on 70 mph, and might downshift once or twice on the steep.  They don't gear hunt at 70 mph hauling these loads.  I have never seen the trans. temp go over 170F, even in 100F+ heat going over the passes hauling either trailer.  Whatever the torque/HP numbers are, the actual torque and HP are plenty for me, bone stock.  And it would be easy to jack the numbers up to redonculous numbers with a chip and tune, if desired.  But I see no need to put extra stress on the rest of the truck, which would merely reduce the rest of the truck's longevity.  

In short, I am completely satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo towing what I tow.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider
3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Both my '13 and my '16 Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison combo will pull (pulled) my 36' 11k lbs. TT and 14k lbs. dump trailer over the NW passes with the cruise on 70 mph, and might downshift once or twice on the steep.  They don't gear hunt at 70 mph hauling these loads.  I have never seen the trans. temp go over 170F, even in 100F+ heat going over the passes hauling either trailer.  Whatever the torque/HP numbers are, the actual torque and HP are plenty for me, bone stock.  And it would be easy to jack the numbers up to redonculous numbers with a chip and tune, if desired.  But I see no need to put extra stress on the rest of the truck, which would merely reduce the rest of the truck's longevity.  

In short, I am completely satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo towing what I tow.  

 

Good to know my cummins can beat you to the top! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tjklein
5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Good to know my cummins can beat you to the top! :thumbup:

This is where you have to get out and actually drive all these trucks.  

Chevy, Ram, and then Ford in the actual towing test.  You really have to evaluate the entire drivetrain and not just plug vehicles into a dyno.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMan

Some observations with this testing.

While peek horsepower and torque numbers are interesting and most often quoted, an average horsepower, area under the curve, over the usable RPM range is more useful.

I noticed on one of the screen shots of the dyno curve, they stop the pull at ~2800 RPM.  The horsepower curve was still rising.  This, of course, only reports the peak horsepower for that dyno pull, not the peak horsepower the truck is capable of. Makes me wonder about all the dyno test results.

The towing test time up the hill results are within 3% of each other.  This has to be within the margin of error, in the noise, of this kind of real world test.  Traffic, temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, driver input, the start/stop of the stop watch, etc.  Speaking of the stop watch, the test results show the times with millisecond accuracy, like they reflect anywhere near that kind of precision.

The number most important to the majority of people looking at this test is the time up the hill.  If they wanted to make their points grading system useful, it should reflect that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamaboy

What the dyno results were and what everyone is saying show me two things...

 

1)these are all bad a** trucks 

 

2)sit in them, drive them and buy the one you like.  Can't go wrong

Edited by bamaboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
riggowrestler

I love watching videos like this.  I get to see what features my new truck will have in 15 years when I can afford any one of these awesome 2017 trucks. lol  It will be a Ford though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nyryan2001

I wish they did the 3/4ton gas version of this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tjklein
4 hours ago, MadMan said:

Some observations with this testing.

While peek horsepower and torque numbers are interesting and most often quoted, an average horsepower, area under the curve, over the usable RPM range is more useful.

I noticed on one of the screen shots of the dyno curve, they stop the pull at ~2800 RPM.  The horsepower curve was still rising.  This, of course, only reports the peak horsepower for that dyno pull, not the peak horsepower the truck is capable of. Makes me wonder about all the dyno test results.

The towing test time up the hill results are within 3% of each other.  This has to be within the margin of error, in the noise, of this kind of real world test.  Traffic, temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, driver input, the start/stop of the stop watch, etc.  Speaking of the stop watch, the test results show the times with millisecond accuracy, like they reflect anywhere near that kind of precision.

The number most important to the majority of people looking at this test is the time up the hill.  If they wanted to make their points grading system useful, it should reflect that.

 

All really good points.  I think I could own any one of the 3 and be very happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...