Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dyno Test of HD Diesels

RyanB

FLT did a "dyno day" at ATS.  All 3 2017 trucks.  Same day, same person running the tests.  Results were a little surprising given the results of the test they did climbing I 70 up Eisenhower tunnel.

RAM, rated at 385 HP / 900 TQ dynoed at 338/828

FORD, rated 440/925 dynoed at 387/806

Chevy, rated 445/910 dynoed at 337/771

All good trucks.

• Like 1

I'd be curious of this.  I've had my 2016 duramax on a dyno and it did very well.  You may want search out results on the net.  Lots of info out there.  Ford is number one but the duramax isn't that far behind.  The transmission does make a huge difference.  

(Yes, dynos vary wildly)

Both my '13 and my '16 Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison combo will pull (pulled) my 36' 11k lbs. TT and 14k lbs. dump trailer over the NW passes with the cruise on 70 mph, and might downshift once or twice on the steep.  They don't gear hunt at 70 mph hauling these loads.  I have never seen the trans. temp go over 170F, even in 100F+ heat going over the passes hauling either trailer.  Whatever the torque/HP numbers are, the actual torque and HP are plenty for me, bone stock.  And it would be easy to jack the numbers up to redonculous numbers with a chip and tune, if desired.  But I see no need to put extra stress on the rest of the truck, which would merely reduce the rest of the truck's longevity.  

In short, I am completely satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo towing what I tow.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Both my '13 and my '16 Chevy/GMC Duramax/Allison combo will pull (pulled) my 36' 11k lbs. TT and 14k lbs. dump trailer over the NW passes with the cruise on 70 mph, and might downshift once or twice on the steep.  They don't gear hunt at 70 mph hauling these loads.  I have never seen the trans. temp go over 170F, even in 100F+ heat going over the passes hauling either trailer.  Whatever the torque/HP numbers are, the actual torque and HP are plenty for me, bone stock.  And it would be easy to jack the numbers up to redonculous numbers with a chip and tune, if desired.  But I see no need to put extra stress on the rest of the truck, which would merely reduce the rest of the truck's longevity.  

In short, I am completely satisfied with the Duramax/Allison combo towing what I tow.  

Good to know my cummins can beat you to the top! :thumbup:

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Good to know my cummins can beat you to the top! :thumbup:

This is where you have to get out and actually drive all these trucks.  

Chevy, Ram, and then Ford in the actual towing test.  You really have to evaluate the entire drivetrain and not just plug vehicles into a dyno.

Some observations with this testing.

While peek horsepower and torque numbers are interesting and most often quoted, an average horsepower, area under the curve, over the usable RPM range is more useful.

I noticed on one of the screen shots of the dyno curve, they stop the pull at ~2800 RPM.  The horsepower curve was still rising.  This, of course, only reports the peak horsepower for that dyno pull, not the peak horsepower the truck is capable of. Makes me wonder about all the dyno test results.

The towing test time up the hill results are within 3% of each other.  This has to be within the margin of error, in the noise, of this kind of real world test.  Traffic, temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, driver input, the start/stop of the stop watch, etc.  Speaking of the stop watch, the test results show the times with millisecond accuracy, like they reflect anywhere near that kind of precision.

The number most important to the majority of people looking at this test is the time up the hill.  If they wanted to make their points grading system useful, it should reflect that.

• Like 2

What the dyno results were and what everyone is saying show me two things...

1)these are all bad a** trucks 

2)sit in them, drive them and buy the one you like.  Can't go wrong

Edited by bamaboy

I love watching videos like this.  I get to see what features my new truck will have in 15 years when I can afford any one of these awesome 2017 trucks. lol  It will be a Ford though!

4 hours ago, MadMan said:

Some observations with this testing.

While peek horsepower and torque numbers are interesting and most often quoted, an average horsepower, area under the curve, over the usable RPM range is more useful.

I noticed on one of the screen shots of the dyno curve, they stop the pull at ~2800 RPM.  The horsepower curve was still rising.  This, of course, only reports the peak horsepower for that dyno pull, not the peak horsepower the truck is capable of. Makes me wonder about all the dyno test results.

The towing test time up the hill results are within 3% of each other.  This has to be within the margin of error, in the noise, of this kind of real world test.  Traffic, temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, driver input, the start/stop of the stop watch, etc.  Speaking of the stop watch, the test results show the times with millisecond accuracy, like they reflect anywhere near that kind of precision.

The number most important to the majority of people looking at this test is the time up the hill.  If they wanted to make their points grading system useful, it should reflect that.

All really good points.  I think I could own any one of the 3 and be very happy.