Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Half Ton MPG Tests

RyanB

FLT did a test with the 6.2 in the Chevy Silverado on their MPH loop.  They discussed the other results as well.

The players, all towing a 7000# cargo trailer that was 20' long:

Nissan Titan 5.6L - 8.6 mpg
2017 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost (with 10 speed auto) - 9.1 mpg
2016 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost - 8.5 mpg
Chevy 1500 with 6.2L V8 - 10.6 mpg
Ram 1500 EcoDiesel - 13.3 mpg
2016 Ram 5.7L Hemi (5600# cattle trailer) - 8.5 mpg

It will be interesting to see what the 6.2 does once Chevy expands production of the 10 speed.  Still won't compete with the EcoDiesel, but will widen the gap vs the EcoBoost.

• Like 3

Does the displacement reduction system work when the tow/haul mode is engage?

And anyone know why GM doesn't offer this engine in the HD series trucks? Seems like you'd want the bigger power in the 2500's versus the 6.0. Or is it a ploy to get you to buy the diesel?

53 minutes ago, Falko said:

Does the displacement reduction system work when the tow/haul mode is engage?

And anyone know why GM doesn't offer this engine in the HD series trucks? Seems like you'd want the bigger power in the 2500's versus the 6.0. Or is it a ploy to get you to buy the diesel?

I just got the 6.2/10 speed in my Sierra/Denali and haven't had a chance to test that yet or tow my LSV with it. I have read where people are putting in the AFM bypass module to essentially bypass the V4 mode to full time V8, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a vehicle with that capability. From what I understand I thought that the tow/haul switch only had effect on the throttle position sensor (TPS) but I am not sure. It does make sense that it would bypass the V4 mode so you are not bouncing between cylinders and gears when hauling. I do know that if you keep your foot in it, you wont see the V4 light come on very much. I will try the tow haul tonight on my way home and get back to you on it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, wdr said:

I just got the 6.2/10 speed in my Sierra/Denali and haven't had a chance to test that yet or tow my LSV with it. I have read where people are putting in the AFM bypass module to essentially bypass the V4 mode to full time V8, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a vehicle with that capability. From what I understand I thought that the tow/haul switch only had effect on the throttle position sensor (TPS) but I am not sure. It does make sense that it would bypass the V4 mode so you are not bouncing between cylinders and gears when hauling. I do know that if you keep your foot in it, you wont see the V4 light come on very much. I will try the tow haul tonight on my way home and get back to you on it.

Colleague of mine has the 6.2L in his Denali 1500 and just added a K&N intake last week.  Initial results seem quite promising in terms of MPG.

Mine is bone stock except for the front leveling kit I put in. I am getting almost as good as my 2012 Tahoe w/5.3L did. Averaging about 18.9 around town with 93 octane, but winter has always been a drag on gas mileage for me. I can see a decrease using the 89 octane and the book does say to run 93 for best results. I have done better but of late I have some non typical driving so it has decreased a little. The Airlift rear bag kit will be next and then probably the K&N. I have read mixed reviews on the K&N in this application but have always had good results or so I have thought using a K&N on normally aspirated and SC engines that I have previously owned.

5 hours ago, wdr said:

I didn't think the 10-speed was available in the '17s. Did they just make them available??

@Bozboat Our old jeep Cherokee had it. At first it was sooo annoying and it was very very jerky, a friends Mercedes has it and you don't even notice. So hopefully these new trucks are better.    With the air conditioning, I believe it just ran off the battery for a few seconds and automatically starts back up when it's needed.

Idaho, you are correct I had an old timers moment. I have the 6.2 with the 8 speed. After driving the 8 speed I wonder where they slid in the other 2 gears. I haven't actually towed with mine yet, but the lower end seems like it could use another gear as is. Some of that could be do to my driving style also. I can confirm that when the engine is in the V4 mode, pushing the tow/haul button will not take it out of V4 regardless of the speed up to 60mph anyway. I like the fact that the trans cooler temp gauge appears on the screen in place of the battery gauge when tow/haul is pushed.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Falko said:

And anyone know why GM doesn't offer this engine in the HD series trucks? Seems like you'd want the bigger power in the 2500's versus the 6.0?

I asked the GM at the dealer where I bought my last tuck this same question, and the response I got was "proven reliability" of the 6.0 pulling heavy loads and GM's unwillingness to try the newer engines in the HD models, despite the lower HP and torque ratings in the 6.0l.  The 6.0l is supposedly designed to tow heavier and longer and for more miles than the more powerful 6.2l.  Who knows the real reason, but that is what I was told.   

@jjackkrash I don't know for sure, but I think it probably has to do with duty cycle.  Same reason I have heard that the EcoBoost doesn't go into the Super Duties.  

I think you can make a strong argument that neither Ford nor GM put their best gas engine in their HD/SD trucks.

Edited by RyanB
15 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I am allegedly at work, so can't watch the video... Do they state what the drive train is for all of the trucks? 4WD, what rear end, wheels/tires?

If you watch each video after work, they will tell you the specifics of each truck they tested.  I am almost certain that they are all 4x4.  I know they have done some tests in the past that were with a 4x2 truck, and they added weight into the bed to compensate for it.  But I don't think any of the trucks mentioned in this comparison were that way.

The tests were all done on different days, so there are potential variables like temperature and wind.  Which could have a nominal effect on MPG.

FLT has their flaws, but I really don't think overall bias for or against any one brand is one of them.

• Like 1

Here is where they run the Colorado/Canyon on an abbreviated loop.  Towing a 6100 pound horse trailer.  They did mention they were bucking the wind.

The diesel got 12.7 MPG.

The V6 gasser got 8.7.

So, percentage wise, the diesel still is about 50% more efficient than the gasser.

Interesting that the EcoDiesel, pulling a heavier trailer, still gets better MPG than the Duramax.

And the 6.2, pulling a heavier trailer, gets better MPG than the V6 mid size.

I wonder how bad the wind was.

FLT Test

Edited by RyanB

Interesting stuff! I knew before buying my ecoboost it was either one or the other and not both at the same time, but I'm a Ford man!

Edited by That Guy