Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Redoing Stereo system- Wiring Questions

Pratt

TMC, 

I have been looking through all the threads and think I have this figured out. Can you confirm I have this stereo system set up correctly? Should I add an extra fuses say before the blue seas? Is it okay to run the blue seas through the dist. block then attach the stereo and eq to this?  Will this take care of any ground loops? I have done car stereos before but this is a different ball game with all the extra issues that can arise in boats. Please let me know if I am in the right direction and if not where I can fix things! The blue wire on there is to signify the remote turn on from the stereo. 

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Malibu Stereo Wiring.docx

Looks good to me.  My only comment was going to be about the blue wire, but re-reading your post it sounds like you are aware that the remote turn on lead originates from the stereo (thought you might think it was the ws420 from the diagram).  You might want to think about triggering the amp/eq turn on with a relay since you're going to be at 4 devices being turned on, but chances are you'll be fine with daisy-chaining the remote lead.

Awesome thanks for the confirmation. If I added the relay how would I do that? I assume it would be some sort of switch to the relay?

1 minute ago, Pratt said:

Awesome thanks for the confirmation. If I added the relay how would I do that? I assume it would be some sort of switch to the relay?

A relay is a switch, thats controlled by a low current circuit to turn on a high current load. A prime example would be using a relay to power multiple amps, EQ, etc, thats triggered by the head units amp turn on. 

Looks good to me.  My only comment was going to be about the blue wire, but re-reading your post it sounds like you are aware that the remote turn on lead originates from the stereo (thought you might think it was the ws420 from the diagram).  You might want to think about triggering the amp/eq turn on with a relay since you're going to be at 4 devices being turned on, but chances are you'll be fine with daisy-chaining the remote lead.

A buddy was just telling me about doing this..

what is the need for a relay??? Does the remote signal not stay strong enough being tied to multiple devices??

Also note that a lot of guys are wiring to either switch 1 or 2 and the putting a radio button on the dash so they can listen to music without the key turned. 

24 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Why wouldnt a person just use the blue sea to distribute power instead of having to run through other distro blocks?

the blue sea fuse blocks only handle 100A total load.  Even a moderate stereo exceeds that.

23 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

Also note that a lot of guys are wiring to either switch 1 or 2 and the putting a radio button on the dash so they can listen to music without the key turned. 

No, that's wrong.  If the stereo feed is wired to the common post, that has nothing to do with whether the stereo will come on with the key or not.  That's a function of what is powering the red wire on the OP's head unit (i.e. is it switched from the ignition, a switch in the dash as you suggest, or even powered straight from the common post too and turned on and off with the power button on the HU).

41 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

the blue sea fuse blocks only handle 100A total load.  Even a moderate stereo exceeds that.

No, that's wrong.  If the stereo feed is wired to the common post, that has nothing to do with whether the stereo will come on with the key or not.  That's a function of what is powering the red wire on the OP's head unit (i.e. is it switched from the ignition, a switch in the dash as you suggest, or even powered straight from the common post too and turned on and off with the power button on the HU).

I had no idea you couldnt run them straight from blue sea...good thing I didnt try that I guess. 

Sorry, your absolutely right.  Brain fart I guess. but youd want to run the remote wire through a switch to a positive power source though.  And I think I was thinking about wiring to one battery directly as a way to have a starting battery and a radio battery?  Or did I just drink too much last night.

The purpose of the ACR is to combine the batteries during charging AND to separate them during discharging.  There is no point to running discharge loads through the ACR.

OP might want to read all the manuals from the HU to amps to ACR to distribution switch (if he thinks he needs one).  Back and forth on 2 or 3 distinct subjects in a forum is not the way to design a system...

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

The purpose of the ACR is to combine the batteries during charging AND to separate them during discharging.  There is no point to running discharge loads through the ACR.

OP might want to read all the manuals from the HU to amps to ACR to distribution switch (if he thinks he needs one).  Back and forth on 2 or 3 distinct subjects in a forum is not the way to design a system...

And speaking of bringing up distinct and not relevant subjects, the OP doesn't have an ACR, he has a "perko" (in quotes cuz I'm not sure it's actually a perko, but is a 1-2-ALL-OFF switch).

1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

I had no idea you couldnt run them straight from blue sea...good thing I didnt try that I guess. 

Sorry, your absolutely right.  Brain fart I guess. but youd want to run the remote wire through a switch to a positive power source though.  And I think I was thinking about wiring to one battery directly as a way to have a starting battery and a radio battery?  Or did I just drink too much last night.

You can wire it that way but it's sub optimal.  It would make more sense with something like the blue sea add-a-battery kit, but it still wouldn't be optimal because you couldn't prevent the potential for parasitic draining on your stereo battery by turning off the switch.  In either case (traditional 1-2-ALL-OFF switch or ACR+Switch) it makes the most sense to wire the stereo lead to the switch not a battery.