Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preventing pooling on the cover

gahvey

2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Does your boat have a pop up pylon?  If it does, put it up when the cover is on.

It does and that is a good idea! Not sure its tall enough to cause the water to run over the gunwale but worth a try! Thx  

11 minutes ago, dpbremer said:

It does and that is a good idea! Not sure its tall enough to cause the water to run over the gunwale but worth a try! Thx  

It helps some on my boat on the rare occasion it is moored for the night.  Another thing that would help a lot is if you can get the boat tipped back more - looks like it is sitting on the trailer so a  hunk of wood under the landing leg might get you enough extra slope so it drains.

Do you also keep your boards on the racks like that - It may be that the rain is running off the front of your boards and rolling a larger amount of water that is getting into that area causing the pooling to start.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

It helps some on my boat on the rare occasion it is moored for the night.  Another thing that would help a lot is if you can get the boat tipped back more - looks like it is sitting on the trailer so a  hunk of wood under the landing leg might get you enough extra slope so it drains.

Normally my boat is stored in a garage so this isn't an issue, however in this case it is on a trailer while staying at a lake home... unfortunately the driveway at this place has quite a bit of slope to deal and I didn't have anything big enough to get the boat to slope the other way. 

1 minute ago, dpbremer said:

Normally my boat is stored in a garage so this isn't an issue, however in this case it is on a trailer while staying at a lake home... unfortunately the driveway at this place has quite a bit of slope to deal and I didn't have anything big enough to get the boat to slope the other way. 

Turn it around?  :)

1 hour ago, gahvey said:

Do you also keep your boards on the racks like that - It may be that the rain is running off the front of your boards and rolling a larger amount of water that is getting into that area causing the pooling to start.

I don't normally have the boards stored on the boat but in this particular case I got a bit lazy. The pooling seems to happen regardless if they are there or not. 

I feel like if the Hangtyte was installed just slightly back further on the cover, I wouldn't have any issues. 

Just now, oldjeep said:

Turn it around?  :)

Ha! I figured you would tell me that!!! With the driveway configuration this was the only easy way to park it and still have access to use my vehicle. No street parking in that area.  

I will have to look at mine, but I think our hangtyte is installed further back.  I will try to look tonight and let you know.

Edit - since I put my Hangtyte on I haven't had any pooling on the cover.

Edited by gahvey
1 minute ago, gahvey said:

I will have to look at mine, but I think our hangtyte is installed further back.  I will try to look tonight and let you know.

I would appreciate that, thx! Unfortunately moving it isn't an option but I could add another one further back I suppose. 

19 minutes ago, dpbremer said:

I would appreciate that, thx! Unfortunately moving it isn't an option but I could add another one further back I suppose. 

You could just add a vent or something like that to the spot where the Hangtyte currently is and move it that way....or just have a canvas shop patch the cover.