Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preventing pooling on the cover

gahvey

How do you all prevent water from pooling on the cover?  We have a 2015 VLX, and the factory cover is really tight without putting any supports in.  If I put supports in I can't get the cover on the boat.  I have a make shift hangtyte in place but that still allows water to pool on the cover.  I don't want to buy a new cover...Any ideas out there that have worked for you?

I was doing the hangtyte as tight as I could and still have the cover go over rub rail, also ski pylon up.  Raised jack as high as I could and that would allow water to roll off back.  Where is it pooling?

17 minutes ago, gahvey said:

How do you all prevent water from pooling on the cover?  We have a 2015 VLX, and the factory cover is really tight without putting any supports in.  If I put supports in I can't get the cover on the boat.  I have a make shift hangtyte in place but that still allows water to pool on the cover.  I don't want to buy a new cover...Any ideas out there that have worked for you?

Details on the make shift hangtite?  Is it a bungee?  Any chance you got a 2014 cover for your 2015 boat which would be about 2" narrower and 4" shorter?

Just using the loop on the cover with a rope around that connected to a pulley that I can use to pull the cover up.

How would I know if I have a 2014 cover?  I bought the boat used but since it was so new I figured it was really the cover that came with the boat.

I haven't tried the pylon, I can certainly try that.  The pooling tends to happen on the starboard side near the tower.  Here is a link to a pic with the cover on:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwy55sCoJtmocUJNRWRhQzhKaE0

Here's my solution to this very same issue. As you can see I added a vented post support that is synched up with a draw string to a strap on the tower (modified the post support with an eye-loop). I also put a pole underneath it to relieve a bit of the pressure in the event of water on the cover. Very seldom do I get any pooling. I keep my boat in a slip so I don't have the added benefit of having the bow at a higher angle to aid in getting the water to run off the cover. This setup has worked really well for me for the past 4 yrs or so with the old OEM cover.

Disregard the tape measure in the pic. I was in the process modifying my poorly designed bimini.

IMG_20140624_055709.jpg

Looks like it fits pretty well in that pic.  Pylon up and jack the bow up as high as possible.  I use a bungee rather than a rope, gives the cover the ability to bounce which I feel helps keep the water moving and also less stress on the hoop and cover.

I use a pulley from the tower above the motor box like the ones above. For the bow I put a Swiss exercise ball on top of an upside down 5 gallon bucket.

the water still kind of pools along the sides near the stern but not enough to matter.

I know you mentioned not using poles but I have a pretty slick system for my cover. I made a "T" out of PVC pipe that goes from tower leg to tower leg and slide it over my table pole. There is also an "L" shaped piece that goes from the t at the table pole to the step above my swim platform. The t keeps the cover up behind the windshield and taught. Like braindamage I use a big exercise ball in the bow. I just bought an evo cover from a TMC member (thanks Kent)so I may not have to worry much longer. The old system works for now so I will probably use the old cover for at least one more winter and then retire it. I can take pictures early this week if anyone is interested. 

Edited by isellacuras
  • Like 1
On 3/22/2017 at 5:11 PM, gahvey said:

Just using the loop on the cover with a rope around that connected to a pulley that I can use to pull the cover up.

How would I know if I have a 2014 cover?  I bought the boat used but since it was so new I figured it was really the cover that came with the boat.

I haven't tried the pylon, I can certainly try that.  The pooling tends to happen on the starboard side near the tower.  Here is a link to a pic with the cover on:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwy55sCoJtmocUJNRWRhQzhKaE0

Hi gahvey,

I also have a 22VLX with the same water pooling on the cover you described. What ended up being your solution? 

The cover on my 15' had pooling issues as well. Malibu has changed the cover design on my 17 and it actually works and does not pool. Good luck, post any positive results  .

Edited by ConnollyCrew
26 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

The cover on my 15' had pooling issues as well. Malibu has changed the cover design on my 17 and it actually works and does not pool. Good luck, post any positive results  .

Hi ConnollyCrew,

What did they change for 2017 to fix this issue? Do you have any pictures you could share?

Thanks! 

Just now, dpbremer said:

Hi ConnollyCrew,

What did they change for 2017 to fix this issue? Do you have any pictures you could share?

Thanks! 

The 17 has an entirely different cover. I am not sure if the change occurred in 16 or 17.

30 minutes ago, edwin said:

The commercial sewing cover on my boat come with their anti pooling system. I have to say, it works really well.  Not sure

How do you roll out the cover with all those straps in the way?  How do you get from the bow to the cabin?  It looks like the strap would keep the walk thru window closed.

once the support system is in place, the walk thru windshield is closed.  I just start unrolling the cover from the nose, slide underneath the walk thru window...not a problem.  On my lift, it's a piece of cake with two peeps.  One on each side, have an over the tower cover, just unroll from front to back.   Will see if I can find a pic of it in place

• 4 months later...

Here is a pic of my 2015 22VLX pooling issue after a heavy rainstorm. The Hangtyte in the middle was pulled as tight as possible but there is some droop of the cover over the rear seating area that allows for the pooling to start... and then from there its just a snowball effect.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxi5fb5DEr1CWXNUR085UHB0Q0E/view?usp=sharing

2 minutes ago, dpbremer said:

Here is a pic of my 2015 22VLX pooling issue after a heavy rainstorm. The Hangtyte in the middle was pulled as tight as possible but there is some droop of the cover over the rear seating area that allows for the pooling to start... and then from there its just a snowball effect.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxi5fb5DEr1CWXNUR085UHB0Q0E/view?usp=sharing

Does your boat have a pop up pylon?  If it does, put it up when the cover is on.