Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile DIY/ Customer service

Cboom12

First thing I need to give a huge shout and thank you to Donavan up there at exile. Their service has exceeded my expectations and I have no doubt the finished product will as well. 

So with that said, I've been working on collecting all the gear I need for my 03 vlx exile build, for the past few months. Ive finally got everything I need and have started the build.  Pretty sure my skills will be of no match to Fman and some of the others on here but I none the less wanted to share what I've got going and my experience. I'll be posting a few pics of the build once I get going on it again over the next couple weeks I'd guess. Unfortunately it's started raining here again so its slowing my go ahead. 

Pretty basic system planned, similar to what guys have built on here before, 

1 set xm9 with the intent on going to 2 when the fund allow.

2 sets 6.5 interiors with a 3rd also coming later. 

1- Xi-12 

1- javelin to power the interior

1-xm30.2 to power the towers. 

ZLD

Exile is awesome!

I just ordered the Digital Media Center to replace the factory remote and head unit.  

Which means I'll be removing the Exile Bluetooth.  Let me know if you're interested in it for your system.

Like many others, I have had the same awesome experience with their customer service. Sure wish I woulda bought the double G3 speaker mounts like they told me I should do. My response was "I'll never need more than 1 pair of XM9's". That was so last year.  

• Like 3

IMG_0983_zpsa2wbcoxg.jpgIMG_0984_zpsh6fqnwcc.jpgIMG_0985_zpsznswhpkd.jpgHere is the progress so far. sorry about the terrible pics but it was getting dark so I just snapped them real quick. Got a couple other small items done after it got dark. I gotta say, I worked at a boat dealer for a bit doing rigging and what not and I forgot how much work this is. I'm about 210lbs and crawling in and out of the compartments and under the dash all day wore me out a bit. 

One question I have, for now I've left the head unit, although what the recent purchase of the exile Bluetooth (thanks Kojak!) its days could be numbered. So with that can I run the remote wire from the head unit to the back of the zld assuming that I've run the zld wires to the batteries and amps? 

• Like 2

Looking good....I don't see why it would not work using your remote wire to activate the amps....assuming that is what you were reeferring to using the remote wire to turn on your amps (blue wire).  Important, remember to use a common ground with everything to avoid noise problems. If you ditch your head unit I would just recommend installing a toggle switch to turn your system on and off.  At this point your head unit would just be a big on/off switch.  This is how I ran my last system and current system I am installing and it worked good.  I am no stereo expert so maybe someone else can give you some other options or opinions.

So I've got the system in but I'm having some issues. First I power to the amps but no sound, we noticed the the +zld connection seemed a little sketchy so I moved it from the block to the battery. Now the amps won't power at all. 

I've got my javelin to power up but still no sound because the zld turn on is not hooked up. I think I have an issue with how I wired the remote turn on. 

Do you have power and ground going to the ZLD?  What makes you think the ZLD is defective?  You should have all 3 wires (red-pos,black-neg,blue-amps) connected coming out of the ZLD.  You should also have blue lights on the ZLD coming on when it is powered up.

When did you buy that ZLD?  It looks like an older model because there is no volume indicator on the large volume knob.

Edited by Fman

I just got it a couple weeks ago from exile. I'm thinking it might be defective because when we initially put power to the system it was the only thing that didn't have power. We found a loose connection on the positive side so I moved both the gnd and the pos to the ring terminal end of the main power cables. Originally they were run to the distribution blocks but I was having a hard time getting a good fit because there wasn't a lot of room going into the blocks. After that tried removing the zld from the system to see if that was the problem and I got sound. Then I tried powering up just the zld by having the remote turn on go directly to it and nothing else. I'm getting no blue light and no sound to anything. I'm open to the fact that I'm doing something wrong but at this point I'm pretty sure it's the zld. 

Edited by Cboom12

Build is on hold waiting for the return of my zld. I sent it back Thursday so I'm not expecting any news till Monday at the soonest. Hopefully they decide quickly if they will repair the one I had or send me a new one. 

You probably did this already but did you use a 12volt wire tester to confirm you were getting power to the ZLD?  This would be a 100% assurance you definitely have power and the ZLD is defective.  I am sure Brian will just ship you out a new one right away.

Edited by Fman

There would be no inline fuse to ZLD unless he added one.  There is an internal fuse inside the ZLD but I have no idea how you would even check it or access it.  I did add an inline fuse on the hot from the 0awg to the ZLD just incase I had a surge and hopefully it would pop the inline fuse rather than toast the ZLD.

Does anyone know how you would even access the internal fuse to the zld?

I'm not gonna lie I don't have a meter or test light so I am working on probability but when I talked to Donavan and explained how I came to my conclusion he agreed that it was most likely an issue with the Zld. I mean the power and ground are home run to the ring terminals on the main power cables and the connections were checked several times. Hopefully I will hear something tomorrow and have it back by the end of the week. 

Hopefully you didn't get my old ZLD that I sent back to Exile last summer!

The entire right side went out.  It was out of warranty so I sent it back.  Exile gave me a great deal on a brand new one so I got that instead of having the old one repaired.

Well I'm stumped. Got a call today from exile and the zld fired up for them and is working fine. I bought a meter and tested all my wiring and I've got no issues. Only thing I can think is I had a bad connection to the back of the zld, but I check it several times including after I dismounted the device so I could get a better look at all the connections. Hopefully when I get off work sat I can get it in and fired up.

Tried installing the zld today, same problem. Everything else fires right up except the zld. Even the BT dongle which is wired to the zld powers up and is paired to my phone. I am at a loss. 

Do this. Take a small piece of wire and jumper from the b+ terminal of the ZLD to the remote input on the ZLD. Does the ZLD light up? 

If it does , it's on ,and your signal or "remote " power is the issue. If it doesn't check for good voltage at you B+ wire and good ground. Your test lamp hooked between theses two circuits should light up if you have good voltage and ground.