Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 or 2018

kx250frider617

Welp, a few months ago I got hired as a sales person at my local Ford dealership. Worked on the floor for a couple months and now I'm in internet sales. 

Selling people new new cars every day has given me the bug to upgrade my tow rig. My only dilemma is should I go with the 2017 or the 2018? 

Either way, it would be a f150 XLT fx4 crew cab, 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed  

Benifets of 2017, huge discounts on price for me. Same interior as 18'.

The 2018 has the same power train, but with an updated front end design and tailgate. I would also get less discounts. 

Overall, i would be saving about $5k by going with the older body style. My question to you guys, is saving $5k and getting a now-dated truck design better than just going with the newest design? 

Like most of everyone here, I like having the latest and greatest, but I also like saving money. 

My my only plans with the truck, adding a leveling kit on some 34" A/t's and 17" wheels and vinyl wrapping the roof. 

1 hour ago, kx250frider617 said:

Welp, a few months ago I got hired as a sales person at my local Ford dealership. Worked on the floor for a couple months and now I'm in internet sales. 

Selling people new new cars every day has given me the bug to upgrade my tow rig. My only dilemma is should I go with the 2017 or the 2018? 

Either way, it would be a f150 XLT fx4 crew cab, 3.5 ecoboost, 10 speed  

Benifets of 2017, huge discounts on price for me. Same interior as 18'.

The 2018 has the same power train, but with an updated front end design and tailgate. I would also get less discounts. 

Overall, i would be saving about $5k by going with the older body style. My question to you guys, is saving $5k and getting a now-dated truck design better than just going with the newest design? 

Like most of everyone here, I like having the latest and greatest, but I also like saving money. 

My my only plans with the truck, adding a leveling kit on some 34" A/t's and 17" wheels and vinyl wrapping the roof. 

Does the microsoft sync get replaced with anything else, like apple play or android play in the 2018?   Having to say "bluetooth audio" to sync the audio is reason enough to wait.

The 2017 Sync3 is Soooo much better than my previous '13, BT links up by the truck is running and has apple play if on the cord. As long as I leave the music app open on my phone, the last song begins to play automatically where it left off. No more voice commands or complaints on the current system from me. Go for the '17 if you are ready, discounts were enough from me not to even consider leftover '16s. 

Edited by thtrog
On 3/21/2017 at 11:45 AM, kx250frider617 said:

I the last 4 trucks I have bought have been year-end left overs right about when the new model year comes out.  I would probably not consider buying a new truck any other way unless I got the same smoking deal on a current year, which I have never seen happen before.  

I just bought the '17 and I had been looking at '16s for awhile and then came to the realization it wasn't really saving me money. I am very happy with the '17 and as stated above (not that I have the old one to reference) but I think the sync 3 is pretty good (a couple things I would change) but I also really enjoy if I plug in my android, all my voice commands are through the google app and not standard VR. Google's VR is pretty solid, plus I can use my phones navigation and it'll appear on the large 8" screen when plugged in.

Yep. I'll have to agree with you guys.

I've decided to wait until my tires wear out on my current truck until I make the deal. I'll be trading my truck in and it'll go straight to auction so I might as well get my money's worth. 

If the prices are almost exactly the same take the newer one! Who doesn't want a new model? We just bought a 2017 demo 4Runner only because the used ones were almost exactly the same once you caculate financing. Back in 2013 we bought a 2012 Chevy and probably saved 10 grand, so it all depends on what the deal really is. If it's not much go newer. 

Welp, I did it! 

Picked up a 2017 F150 XLT FX4 with the 3.5 eco. I got it with the sport package, navigation, and the max tow. It also came with the upgraded 20" wheels. 

Ive already ordered a ready lift leveling kit and will be doing tint all the way around. 

My question to you guys, should I get some 17" wheels and bigger A/T tires now and sell the factory ones for more. Or wear out these tires? 

just curious if you put 34's on it, will the ecoboost have enough grunt to spin them?  heavier tire..larger dia. prolly 15% off on your Speedo.  would you have to put in bigger (numerically) rear (and front) gears?  I just bought a 13 ram diesel with 35s on it the speedo error is 9%.