Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

T22 space behind subwoofer panel

NMG1973

Curious if anyone knows what kind of depth there is in the T22 behind the "sub board?" I don't have the boat home yet, but I am wanting to get a box for the sub coming. I have the stereo pack 2 with the 10 inch sub. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, NMG1973 said:

I have the stereo pack 2 with the 10 inch sub.

Correct me if in wrong, but this would be the Wet sounds XS-10fa if OEM installed. If so, you dont need an enclosure for it, the helm cavity acts as its enclosure. However, there are some things that can be done to improve the overall performance.

Yes it is xs-10fa. I know it's a free air sub, but I would guess it would sound a lot better in a box. On Wet Sounds site they say you can use a 1.3 cubic foot sealed box......

depending whether you have a heater you should be able to fit a box of 2ish ft3 without much problem (heater does complicate things significantly because of how the hot tubes get mounted in the walkway).

18 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

depending whether you have a heater you should be able to fit a box of 2ish ft3 without much problem (heater does complicate things significantly because of how the hot tubes get mounted in the walkway).

That is so true.  I couldn't work with what I had in my 22VLX so I moved the snorkel to that kinda useless space under the wakeview seating behind the driver.  It's more convenient there it turns out anyways.  And less prone to be stepped on as people move around the front of the cabin like before.  Even after that I had to unmount the heater core and push it as far up the wall as possible to mount it to make room for my sub.

33398095542_77cb62d5ae_b.jpg

33171395250_c613c5bceb_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On March 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM, NMG1973 said:

I figured there was quite a bit. Thanks for the pic! I went ahead and order Qbomb10s it has the right cubic feet and should easily fit.

http://www.qpowerinc.com/index.php?id_product=33&controller=product

Have you received the sub box yet and started the install?  I have the same boat and was wanting to do the exact same thing. Would love to know your experience. How are you planning on attaching the box to the boat?  Pics etc would be great and how much of an improvement did you get?

Got the box, just waiting to get the boat. Lol. We get it on the 10th, so hopefully start in on it shortly after. Box looks to be very well made......not 100% sure on how I am going to attach it yet, just need to see if there is a difference in height of where the sub is mounted in the panel.

Good luck with the boat delivery. Keep us posted on how everything turns out. I'm very interested in how it all comes together. I'm pretty particular with my boat and don't like having other people do work on it... They don't "love" it the way I do. If I can do the work myself and get good results I'd rather go that way. 

• 3 weeks later...

Little update......not sure about other year T22's but my 17 has a crappy plastic "box" attached to the sub board. It is barely sealed and has quite a few staples in it. I am in the process of separating it and going to attach the Qbomb box to it. I'll update more when I actually get it back in the boat.

my 16 came with the starboard box too.  It sucks as a subwoofer enclosure but it's great as a source of scrap starboard.  Don't throw it out.  Break it down and cut down the brads.  many uses for future projects.

I am going to attach the box to the factory sub board. It is plenty strong enough to keep the box in place once they are screwed together. 

I guess the scrap box would definitely come in handy for other things......thanks for the idea.

I am interested to see how this turns out. I would love to do the same to our boat but am concerned about space with the heater. At the same time, I want to use the existing carpeted sub board. If the box can fit and the sub board can easily be re purposed, I am going to try and do this too. 

Well it will be up on Tippy hopefully here in a few weeks, so I'll swing by once it's done. It's definitely not easy getting the board off, but a little work and I think it will be separated to where you can attach the other box. I don't have a heater tho. I can tell you that the Qbomb box is smaller than the plastic box that is attached to it.

Nice! That combo looks great too. I was debating on doing a red and black or red and grey combo, but glad we went with the black and blue.