Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Guy here - 06 VLX

JoeFro

Congrats! The dog won't hurt the vinyl. Just vacuum occasionally and you will be good. 

If you can upgrade to the floating wedge. Generally people around here prefer it to the older wedge. 

I bring my dog on our boat. I look at him as family and the memories are important.  As for the wedge, I think you can buy them on bakes online. It would be in your best interest to become a supporting member to this site, then purchase through bakes with Malibu code. Enjoy your upcoming summer!

Congrats!   That is a sweet looking boat!  

RE: the dog, I know there are people that think I am absolutely crazy, but we will be taking one of our dogs on the new VLX when it arrives.   She LOVES boating. She is a little crazy when we first launch, but chills out once we have been out for a while.   You do have to be careful about keeping the claws trimmed, I wound up with a couple of punctures in the old boat when we got into too much of a hurry, and they were too long/sharp.    Keep in mind that was a 19 year old boat with the original vinyl too - Im certain it was not as tough as new vinyl will be.

Ive also looked at "Soft Paws" - basically caps for the claws that are softer, and would protect the vinyl (and your skin).    There is a good chance I will at least give them a try.

Welcome!  Hope the arm heals up before the season starts.

The wedge should cost about $600 from the dealer and is an easy bolt on to your current bracket.  Upgrading to a floating wedge requires a new bracket which must be installed at the dealer unless you can find a used one (rare).

Now you can start thinking about ballast upgrades and wake enhancing devices (suck gates, etc.).  If you post up questions here, try to be as specific as possible about what you want to do and where you're starting from (pictures, model numbers, etc.).

Have fun perusing this site and get your checkbook out - again.

I just bought a 05 vlx in January and new here also.  I see Ohio registration on the boat.  Where you from?  Im in the Canton area.  What dealer you use?

My wife bought little booties for our dog but we've gotten to the point where we only bring him if we're gonna be gone a long time or overnight.  Nice boat!  What'd you do to your arm?  I've had two surgeries on my right shoulder & am probably looking at a 3rd come fall, is getting old!  Can still surf this summer but I won't be trying to learn any new tricks, it's hurting pretty bad again.  

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the welcome.  

Sounds like the dog is "on" which was likely inevitable to begin with since he is my best bud.  Will need to pay special attention to the claws though and it means a lot of vacumning.  

@goodmatt78 - I am just south of Dayton Ohio.  I live about 10 minutes from Caesars Creek reservoir and also travel a lot to Kentucky.  We used nowake marine and they were very good.

@racer808 - they guy with the injured arm is by son's best friend.  He broke his collarbone in a snow-boarding accident.  Bad landing in a competition.  I have a shoulder impingement - but between physical therapy and crossfit, it seems like it is holding up ok so hopefully I keep it together.

I cannot wait for some warmer weather.  Although that will mean I need to buy a bunch of stuff.  I am anxiously watching the forum to see how others weight their boats with the same hull.  Also trying to figure out if I really need the wedge. 

Joe Fro

On 3/20/2017 at 9:25 AM, JeffC said:

Ive also looked at "Soft Paws" - basically caps for the claws that are softer, and would protect the vinyl (and your skin).    There is a good chance I will at least give them a try.

Let us know how those work in a new post. We will be getting a dog after we find a new house. I'm sure the wife and I will be able to agree on a dog. Not so much on the house.

WAwinegrapes
On 3/20/2017 at 4:47 AM, JoeFro said:

Hi everyone,

I just joined the crew and the world of bu's with a new-to-me Malibu VLX.  I have 4 kids ages 12-18 and they are really excited to get the boat out.  A couple of them have been to some local camps where they have been wake boarding and surfing so hopefully it won't be too bad to get started.  This is my first inboard boat - I have always have outboards and I kept my old boat which is more like an old SUV that will take the abuse and protect the bu which is more of a "princess."

IMG_3860_zpsb9azj4b8.jpg

Still trying to figure out if my dog is allowed in the bu - LOL!  He loves the water, but it sure is a pain cleaning up the dog hair and I am also concerned about him damaging the upholstery.  He loves boating though.

I am researching the site a lot about surfing setup.  Will need to order some ballast and pick up some boards. I have some old wetsuits from sailboat racing (hobies), but suspect that those will need upgraded as well.  

I have the manual wedge bracket, but the foil was missing - so need to figure out how to fix it.  I have a friend who is a toolmaker so may have to get one fabbed because I cannot find a foil for sale.  My local malibu dealer is getting me a price, but I suspect that he will to change out the bracket.  I haven't had anyone out since the water is so cold, so maybe I don't even need a wedge...

Anyhow - I just wanted to say hi.

JoeFro 

Are those ALL your boats??  ha ha

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

Edited by WAwinegrapes

I have the same boat in a different year. Very minor differences. I am in Coldwater MI and we have a lot of OH folks on our lake due to Ohio's lack of lakes. Welcome to the site.

Does your boat have the front MLS?

Either way for surfing you will need:

1. Surf rope and a boat board (hyperlite broadcast will be fine for all of you year one)
  2. Front Ballast (1000 pound triangle bag up front, or a 400 and a teenager in a pinch
  3. Rear ballast (i cheaped out and got the wakemakers piggyback, but if you dont live on the lake get reversible pumps cause they are faster: https://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-wakesurf-ballast-system.html
  4. A wake shaper. Search for "DIY Wakeshaper" or suck gate. Here is a video of mine on your same gull (well before I dialed in the wake) 
1 hour ago, JoeFro said:

Also trying to figure out if I really need the wedge.

Yes, you need a wedge and more balast if you're going to surf with that hull.  I've got the same hull and get a good wave with 2 x 1,000 in the back, 600 center, and 600 front (steel shot bags and under seat water bag) with wedge down.  Same weight with wedge up is not nearly as good.  Suck gate or surf gates also make a big difference.  We wake board with the wedge but without much if any ballast so you could probably get away with no wedge for wake boarding depending on what kind of wake you want.

Not going all the way with ballast (or stereo) and then incrementally upgrading has cost me some serious coin :oops:

Just now, minnmarker said:

Yes, you need a wedge and more balast if you're going to surf with that hull.  I've got the same hull and get a good wave with 2 x 1,000 in the back, 600 center, and 600 front (steel shot bags and under seat water bag) with wedge down.  Same weight with wedge up is not nearly as good.  Suck gate or surf gates also make a big difference.  We wake board with the wedge but without much if any ballast so you could probably get away with no wedge for wake boarding depending on what kind of wake you want.

Not going all the way with ballast (or stereo) and then incrementally upgrading has cost me some serious coin :oops:

Yes Wedge is needed for surf, but for wake you don't absolutely need it. Talking wedge and wakeboarding is like debating politics: there are two distinct camps!

I have a 2012 VLX, which I know is a different hull, but I've found that using the Mission Boat Gear Delta aftermarket surf gate (highly recommended!) that I never use the wedge.  Mission recommended against it, and my experimentation on my hull affirms that.   If you're surfing, you will definitely want the ballast and an aftermarket gate.  But if it the same as my boat I'd try out the set up before I spent the $$$ on the new wedge.  (but you should probably get feedback from someone with the same hull).

If you're surfing a lot, I'd also recommend the Fresh Air Exhaust.  I don't know if that year has a catalytic converter or not, but even if it does it is still worth it just for the noise reduction.

Congrats!

2 hours ago, pedel said:

I have a 2012 VLX, which I know is a different hull, but I've found that using the Mission Boat Gear Delta aftermarket surf gate (highly recommended!) that I never use the wedge.  Mission recommended against it, and my experimentation on my hull affirms that.   If you're surfing, you will definitely want the ballast and an aftermarket gate.  But if it the same as my boat I'd try out the set up before I spent the $$$ on the new wedge.  (but you should probably get feedback from someone with the same hull).

If you're surfing a lot, I'd also recommend the Fresh Air Exhaust.  I don't know if that year has a catalytic converter or not, but even if it does it is still worth it just for the noise reduction.

Congrats!

Cats began in 07. I can't get push on this hull with a surf device and no wedge. If you are listing then the wedge matters less.

Edited by 95echelon

Thanks everyone!  A lot to think about here.  I had better get the checkbook out again...  That will be fun to explain to the wife!

Fresh air exhaust looks like it may be a good idea.  

56 minutes ago, JoeFro said:

Thanks everyone!  A lot to think about here.  I had better get the checkbook out again...  That will be fun to explain to the wife!

Fresh air exhaust looks like it may be a good idea.  

We don't have it but I wouldn't turn it down. You especially need it if you don't invest in good sacks etc. without a nice wave you will be surfing close which means breathing in the v8 love. 

If I don't count the lift I probably spent about 3-4 grand on stuff last year when I bought mine. however we have 4 boards, we use 4K ballast and I did add the MLS to the front because mine didn't have it stock  

other good adds are dual battery, stereo, a full set of tools, good lines and bumpers, a seat riser, wet sounds eq, and lots more  

oh and domed numbers!

Edited by 95echelon