Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet Removal

blytle473

What is the best way to remove the carpet in my 2004 23LSV? Interior is getting redone and the upholsterer wants another $1,000 to remove the carpet. I'd rather save the money and do it myself. What is the best method/products to use when removing? 

Thanks!

I "accidentally" removed the carpet in my '93 by using a pressure washer that was too powerful. I blasted through the carpet with the fan attachment (40* I think) and it knocked the backing/glue apart so that the carpet basically lifted out in large thready chunks. After the carpet comes out, then using the pressure washer again to really remove the glue and other debris worked well. I don't remember using any solvent to remove the carpet.

2 hours ago, mikeo said:

I "accidentally" removed the carpet in my '93 by using a pressure washer that was too powerful. I blasted through the carpet with the fan attachment (40* I think) and it knocked the backing/glue apart so that the carpet basically lifted out in large thready chunks. After the carpet comes out, then using the pressure washer again to really remove the glue and other debris worked well. I don't remember using any solvent to remove the carpet.

Just be aware a pressure washer will blast through the fiberglass floor as well!

20 hours ago, LS1boarder said:

What does the fiberglass look like under there? Is it raw fiberglass or does it have gel coat?

IMG_0228.jpg

Here is the floor on my 99.  The carpet was easy to pull up and pretty much came out in big pieces. Cleaning up the glue took some work.  The pressure washer seemed to be easier than scrapping.

Edited by Bozboat

Mine was raw fiberglass & the carpet pulled right up.  Take it out like a template though, I pulled mine out tracing the entire floor so all I had to do was lay it over the new carpet & cut around it, went right back in perfect.  

• Like 1