Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige innovation

hethj7

16 minutes ago, jaciche said:

Jeez, I wonder where they got that idea from:blush:

Shortly after Malibu wins "Innovation of the Year"... I love how on the page it says "we didn't invent the wheel".  

I could be wrong but I think these controls are on the steering wheel.  It does make me wonder why cars have had steering wheel controls for 15 years, why don't boats?????

3 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

I could be wrong but I think these controls are on the steering wheel.  It does make me wonder why cars have had steering wheel controls for 15 years, why don't boats?????

They do.  Malibu had them last year and calls it the Command Wheel.  Hence why I found it so funny Tige "innovated" and has it this year.

The wheel was standard on the M235 and can be ordered as an option on other models   

28656EFA-84A1-4BB7-A9AA-FC6F75B73BED_zps

Ah, my apologies, I had no idea Malibu had that as an option.  I thought you were saying it is the same as the sport dial/wheel.  Carry on. 

Edited by Lees23

No worries.  Happy to show you the ropes as you transition from MC to Bu :)

Btw, I do feel the command wheel is a bit silly - I have 3 ways to turn up the radio within arms reach (sport knob, command wheel, touchscreen :crazy:)

It's the exact same wheel without the Malibu buttons. Even tige owners are agreeing on this one. 

Ok you guys... This might be hard for you but tige was the first one with the surf remote. 

40 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Btw, I do feel the command wheel is a bit silly - I have 3 ways to turn up the radio within arms reach (sport knob, command wheel, touchscreen :crazy:)

I would order the command wheel and not the sport knob.  It feels more intuitive to me.  

7 hours ago, ID AX said:

I would order the command wheel and not the sport knob.  It feels more intuitive to me.  

I almost did this, but then you don't get the phone holder and the big knob for the radio and buttons for surf gate are idiot proof.   And of course...it is about $700-800 more.  It's very cool, but truly unnecessary if you already have the sport knob.

If you ordered complete radio delete, had the Wet Sounds head unit that eventually is coming out and put that in the sport knob spot you'd have something unique with the command wheel.

Edited by tjklein

For any boat manufacturer  to claim that steering wheel controls are innovative is pretty sad. They should really be apologizing for being 20+ years behind the auto industry and still up charging for this as a "option". My '01should have had this as standard.

While I don't disagree, I don't really recall seeing steering wheel controls across other boat brands/types either.   It's probably like today's UTV's - you don't see steering wheel controls on them, but the first company to do it will be innovating, at least in that market segment.  What is innovative, is that the controls stay stationary when you turn the wheel, unlike most vehicles I've been in.  

2 hours ago, tjklein said:

I almost did this, but then you don't get the phone holder and the big knob for the radio and buttons for surf gate are idiot proof.   And of course...it is about $700-800 more.  It's very cool, but truly unnecessary if you already have the sport knob.

I don't follow?  The command wheel has all of the same functions as the sport knob.  If you don't get the sport knob you gain a nice cubby that can hold your phone and many other small items.  I agree that the price is a little eye raising at 800$ more but that's still less than 1% of new boat price.  

I think what he's saying is the  knob is more intuitive or idiot proof.  I will say that just perhaps there has been a time or two when I go to pull a surfer up and have my eyes forward, then my wife realizes I forgot to have surfgate on, so she'll hit it on the sport knob since she's spotting and realizes it before I ever do.   That for me, demonstrates how intuitive the sport knob is, along with a simple twist of the knob for volume control.    

8 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I think what he's saying is the  knob is more intuitive or idiot proof.  I will say that just perhaps there has been a time or two when I go to pull a surfer up and have my eyes forward, then my wife realizes I forgot to have surfgate on, so she'll hit it on the sport knob since she's spotting and realizes it before I ever do.   That for me, demonstrates how intuitive the sport knob is, along with a simple twist of the knob for volume control.    

Yep, exactly this.

The sport knob has huge buttons and a huge knob...very easy to use/see.  Most boats are coming with the knob and not the command wheel, so I think the argument is logical.  The take on the command wheel is probably less than 10% where the sport knob has to be well over 90%.  I like the wheel but it's a $1100 option at my dealer, so I passed.  (sport knob was $350)

My last boat had the cubby, as I ordered it with the stereo delete.  I much prefer the new phone holder, but that's just me.

Edited by tjklein
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, hethj7 said:

They do.  Malibu had them last year and calls it the Command Wheel.  Hence why I found it so funny Tige "innovated" and has it this year.

The wheel was standard on the M235 and can be ordered as an option on other models   

28656EFA-84A1-4BB7-A9AA-FC6F75B73BED_zps

12 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

For any boat manufacturer  to claim that steering wheel controls are innovative is pretty sad. They should really be apologizing for being 20+ years behind the auto industry and still up charging for this as a "option". My '01should have had this as standard.

I did not see Tige say it was innovative.  Is that putting words in their mouth, then shooting them down for something they did not say?  

Maybe the email called it innovative? 

Yep that was me and I stand by it.  Infact my buddy who is a huge tige fan and I were talking today about my other friends brand new G23.  He didn't believe me that it got on plane fully ballasted with 9 people in it yesterday.  The ASR we wakeboard behind can't get on plane at our alt when fully ballasted.  I said it's because the G has a better geared tranny and 17" prop,he thought the ASR had a 17" prop also, so he had to go look up the ASR and it only has a 15" prop, same with the RZX.  His exact words were "tige is always late to the party"

Edited by CJAY

@CJAY Why rush into being the first at something when you can wait for the competition to figure out the flaws? 

For example, surfgate. It wasn't until 3 years later tige had a surf device. But meanwhile tige is perfecting there listed wave with the AVX, making it one of the best out there. You will not find a boat that surfs as good as a Z3 with AVX while getting that good of fuel economy. 

Think of it this way, would you rather have the latest and greatest but yet un proven peice of equipment? Or something reliable that gets the job done just as good? We can relate this to many other things available right now, Toyota tundras, iPhones, many many things... And ussally the costumers of these brands are bery brand loyal.   Just like tige owners.