Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 VTX questions

Cole2001

Hey guys, got a few questions to ask.

I'm interested in a vtx at wizard lake and am wondering what the differences are between the wake haul and the ski haul. I like the looks and options of the wake haul but am not sure if I would prefer the diamond. Surfing is our main usage and the odd salom ski, but have access to a friends sportster too. Is 104 CAD a good price? I feel like it is.

thanks guys!:werule:

I'm not sure. One of the 3 in stock claims it has the diamond, so I just figured the others had the wake.

edit: I stand corrected, it is just the diamond haul. Any thoughts on pricing? Must have options? 

Edited by Cole2001

Why the VTX at all?  The '16+ won't ski as well as the '08-15, regardless of what '16+ owners will try to tell you.  The '16 also has the more aggressive 1.76:1 tranny ratio, which some feel is a big negative for skiing.  Since you mostly want to surf with an odd ski set here and there (plus access to another more ski oriented boat), why not go with a 21VLX for less or a 22VLX for a little more?

@Nitrousbird There are quite a few reasons for wanting the vtx actually. It fits in the garage, we don't necessarily need the extra space, and with the 21 just from looking at pictures I find it's not as nice. On top of all that is the price, it's a left over 2016 at wizard lake and they're trying to get rid of the final Malibu's. 

The hull for the 16+ boats is a "T cut diamond".  IIRC it is basically the same hull as the Response TXi with a lot more freeboard.  

The ones at Wizard are definitely a GOOD price........The one that's 104 cdn is $78xxx usd.  I don't think you'll do a whole lot better on a new VTX than that.  The black one is approximately $77k us, and the red/white one is $74,7xx.  If I was in the market for a new VTX I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger with those prices.  

Edit: And the one for 104,9 is pretty much loaded with options.  Upgraded trailer, wheels, STE, shower, heater, docking lights, transom lights, seat heater, center pylon, etc.  If it was me, I would ask for a pair of 750 bags in the back hooked up to the PNP, and be on my way.  That's a steal!  If you don't live in Canada, I'd clarify the Canadian plug inverter and battery charger that it states on the build sheet.......

Edited by Sixer

Will the local dealer be ok if a new boat is purchased out of area but it is a 2016?  Honor the warranty and all that.  I haven't really read all the threads on the topic, but it would be a concern. If the local dealer isn't Wizard Lake I mean.

Edited by River Monsters
added last comment

@Sixer the one for 104 is the one we are interested in, an extra 2 grand for a loaded or stereo and trailer seems totally worth it. Are bags typically included with PNP? It doesn't really speacify, or should we be getting custom ones that are bigger?   I don't understand that Canadian plug thing... Canada and the states are exactly the same...

I was at the boat show in January talking to the local guys and they said straight out those are amazing deals are we're a Malibu dealer so we will warranty it.

I thought about buying an LSV from Wizard's over the winter, as they said they could get it to the border for me, but there were a few hassles with getting it across and everything so I stuck with my dealer.  Some greats deals to be had, but it's a haul and it's good to have that relationship with your dealer if you're trading boats in every few years.

I think they're probably pretty darn close to cost now but don't have any expert knowledge on that.  Just guessing from bits and pcs I've picked up along the way.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Sixer said:

The hull for the 16+ boats is a "T cut diamond".  IIRC it is basically the same hull as the Response TXi with a lot more freeboard.  

Kind of. They used the same design theory and applied it to the vtx. The vtx is 8.5" wider and actually 6" shorter then the 2012-16 TXi which is what it was modeled after. 

14 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

@Sixer the one for 104 is the one we are interested in, an extra 2 grand for a loaded or stereo and trailer seems totally worth it. Are bags typically included with PNP? It doesn't really speacify, or should we be getting custom ones that are bigger?   I don't understand that Canadian plug thing... Canada and the states are exactly the same...

I was at the boat show in January talking to the local guys and they said straight out those are amazing deals are we're a Malibu dealer so we will warranty it.

PNP bags are typically added on afterwards.  A pair of 750's would run you about a grand installed by a dealer.  Could do custom wakemakers bags if you really wanted to, but I think the 750's would be plenty.  I don't even know how big customs would be in that boat, I thought there was a compartment divider that wouldn't allow you to get oversized bags that run up the sides very far. I think @oldjeep has posted pictures of that somewhere along the way.  Maybe give wakemakers a call and see what they'd do on that boat.  I agree with @IXFE, with three holdovers on the lot you could probably squeeze them for a little more.  Might be close to what they paid for them, but that's not your problem..........

Wizard lake is actually kind of local to us. If we were buying a Nautique they would be our local dealer so it really isn't a problem. They're busy at the Edmonton boat show just waiting for them to email back. 

You guys think it would be too much to ask to include the ptm clamping racks in the deal? 

Thanks for all the feedback!:werule:

5 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

You guys think it would be too much to ask to include the ptm clamping racks in the deal? 

I'd rather have the $12k as a discount

5 hours ago, Sixer said:

PNP bags are typically added on afterwards.  A pair of 750's would run you about a grand installed by a dealer.  Could do custom wakemakers bags if you really wanted to, but I think the 750's would be plenty.  I don't even know how big customs would be in that boat, I thought there was a compartment divider that wouldn't allow you to get oversized bags that run up the sides very far. I think @oldjeep has posted pictures of that somewhere along the way.  Maybe give wakemakers a call and see what they'd do on that boat.  I agree with @IXFE, with three holdovers on the lot you could probably squeeze them for a little more.  Might be close to what they paid for them, but that's not your problem..........

I have installed the wake makers custom bags in my 16 vtx - I think they are 750 each. It's a lot of extra weight in the back.  We added a 600pound ronix bow triangle to level the boat out.  The wave is really good now, we can run full factory ballast, plus all bags full with up to 4 adults in the boat.  When full the bags fit perfectly and use all space.

@SixerWizard just got back from the boat show so I just got replies yesterday and they offered me next to nothing on my tige. We might have someone interested in buying it so sent them an email. I would love this boat, just not sure if it's worth it.