Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 lsv speaker mounting depth

ponderosasurf

1 hour ago, LS1boarder said:

That looks awesome!! 

The work you did on the speaker rings is pretty impressive! What do you think about these instead? I would love the LEDs and it should add enough depth to make the JL Speaker fit. I had a fully custom JL system in my last boat and I was always the DJ on the sandbar because of how awesome it sounded. 

JL Audio Marine M880 LED Speaker Ring - NO DRILLING REQUIRED - READY TO INSTALLED - DRILLED FOR SCREW HOLES (Yellow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TI1D306/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hPD0ybSGHXJEW

@LS1boarder, I always keep coming back to JL myself.  It's just been great for us.

I looked for a product like that initially.  I recommend you do this exercise like I did first.  Go pull your 8" speakers in your LSV.  Then get a tape measure and start measuring the distance all around the existing cutout back to the hull of the boat.  You'll likely find that one spot where the angle is closest to the hull of the boat where it's only a few inches.  That's how far you have space the ring out... in that spot.  The second thing you need to do is pay close attention to your upholstery.  @Ronnie and I looked his boat over closely last summer when I was first brainstorming this idea to fix the way the speakers are angled.  At the time what we decided was that any spacers at all - angled or not - would not let the speakers fit in a couple places.  I seem to recall the hardest one to fit was the port forward location.  We never really seriously got in there and measured stuff, just eyeballed it.  So I encourage you to go break out the ruler and specs for the speaker depths.  Oh, and you will have to open up the hole some if it's the same diameter as mine were.  I don't know how much that varies in production.  The last thought I have is that when I was all said and done, I needed to take a sander and put a rounded edge along part of the mating surface.  The reason being that on the rear speakers in my 22VLX the contour they formed started to bend away from the flat mounting area too soon.  It made for the speaker having a sizable gape between the spacer and the wall that.  Sanding some material away giving it a matching curve took care of that.  Just to be safe though I cut some gaskets out of 1/8" closed cell foam to gap fill and seal those areas.

Oh one last tip.  Be ready to splice on new quick connects.  The JL speakers use larger ones than the factory installed in their wiring harnesses for the RF speakers.

Edited by Slurpee
grammar
17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yes, be aware the the VLX has more space between the speaker and the back rest. On my '16 23LSV, the speaker was almost touching the back rest. 

Yeah.  That's the ticket.  My forward starboard speaker location behind the drivers seat was almost as bad as Ronnie's.  I couldn't bring the speaker forward much at all.  Maybe 3/8" tops.  But I could rotate it a good 15 degrees before it was parallel with the back rest and the whole top edge was touching; not just one point on the rim.  That got the base of the speaker clear of the conflict with the hull.  I still had to remove that bit of back rest to get it in the hole though.  

Good Luck @LS1boarder.  I hope you can find a way because it sounds so good. :)

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yes, be aware the the VLX has more space between the speaker and the back rest. On my '16 23LSV, the speaker was almost touching the back rest. 

I just installed my Exile 8" and they are touching the upper pad.  It was a tight squeeze fitting them in.  The LSV 8" location has about a 1/4 of the speaker under the back rest area along the gunwale.  The 22 VLX location imo is much better allowing the full 8" to be viewed.   Although, probably won't make a difference with sound quality either way.