Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RAD disk

racer808

We have one.  Works great for young ones (6 & under?) for us.  Also pretty good for the "helper" when teaching young surfers or skiers and just floating around the houseboat.  We don't use it the way the designed it at all.  I would guess it would be a blast for teenage daredevils but we don't have those yet....

Dave

ahopkins22LSV

I was going to get one when they first came out, until I saw the price. Looks like something that could be fun to have two and make up random competitions when the lake it roughed up. But, I wasn't dropping that kind of coin.

• Like 2

How much are they?  We have a girl on our ski team that uses an older yellow disk, does 360's and then a headstand on it while behind the boat.  My daughter is getting inspired to do the same, so actually I've been thinking about buying one for her to experiment with.

We have the 5' and love it.  Told the kids, "if we buy this we aren't taking the tube anymore".  No one has missed the tube.  Kids love playing on it while we're swimming and anchored.  Buddy bought the same and we "adults" like to put them both behind the boat and play last man standing.  

IMG_4228_zps3endmxnw.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys, my hang up has been it only seems fun if we have two.  My kids are 15 & 17 & bugging me to get two, but they're $500 a pop, would rather get a custom board!~

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

OK, I'm out.

This was exactly my reaction! I think they would be a huge hit to not get kids to tube as @wedge88 mentioned, but man 1K to have two... I guess that could be 1K well spent to not have to pull kids tubing all day.

6 hours ago, wedge88 said:

We have the 5' and love it.  Told the kids, "if we buy this we aren't taking the tube anymore".  No one has missed the tube.  Kids love playing on it while we're swimming and anchored.  Buddy bought the same and we "adults" like to put them both behind the boat and play last man standing.  

IMG_4228_zps3endmxnw.jpg

Between a 3 and 5 year old, I believe we will enjoy our sling shot version. We got ours last week for my bday. Goodbye tube

We built Ply wood versions years ago.  We call them Lilly pads, they are a blast and cheap, especially with two of them! only bummer is they are a pain to transport.

• Like 2

You don't need two to have fun on them.  I had some sticker shock as well but look at it this way.  Everyone buys their own ski, board, surf that run $500+ ea.  This thing is once and done type thing that's good for all ages.  The quality of material is unreal and since we have opened the box, I have never felt I overpaid or regretted the decision to buy.  Another huge benefit, if you moor your boat, this thing can hold like 500lbs + so it would be a great way to float larger items and people to a boat.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, twitchee2 said:

We built Ply wood versions years ago.  We call them Lilly pads, they are a blast and cheap, especially with two of them! only bummer is they are a pain to transport.

Great idea, that's my plan now.

Are they inflatable, collapsible?  Thinking about getting a disc & their surfboard.....I hate spring time, have about 20k worth of stuff I want around the house, boat stuff, stuff for our lake, it never ends

9 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Are they inflatable, collapsible?  Thinking about getting a disc & their surfboard.....I hate spring time, have about 20k worth of stuff I want around the house, boat stuff, stuff for our lake, it never ends

Inflates and deflate quick and fits easily in my rear hatch.  They come with a pump and you have to use it as I bought a 12v but it needs a special connector.  Also comes with an air gauge that I originally just left in the box because I figured I'd just fill up full but what I thought was full and what they recommend is completely different.  I was filling it and not even 1/2 way to recommended PSI. Once I got that right, its unreal how stable it is (as you can see from my previous pic with 4 of us on it while idle.)

Besides being pricey for what it is, my biggest no-go is that it is an inflatable.  Our reservoir has a tube ban and I'm sure this would be considered a tube to Ranger Danger.  If it wasn't inflatable, I could probably look past the price for 1 of them.

35 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Besides being pricey for what it is, my biggest no-go is that it is an inflatable.  Our reservoir has a tube ban and I'm sure this would be considered a tube to Ranger Danger.  If it wasn't inflatable, I could probably look past the price for 1 of them.

Go check one out that is inflated. No where near a tube.  Very similar to a SUP.  

I think I am going to go ahead & get one, maybe two, but that's a lot of money.  It just looks like two behind the boat would be a blast

5 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Inflates and deflate quick and fits easily in my rear hatch.  They come with a pump and you have to use it as I bought a 12v but it needs a special connector.  Also comes with an air gauge that I originally just left in the box because I figured I'd just fill up full but what I thought was full and what they recommend is completely different.  I was filling it and not even 1/2 way to recommended PSI. Once I got that right, its unreal how stable it is (as you can see from my previous pic with 4 of us on it while idle.)

The pump that comes with it isn't a 12v?  Can you modify it so you can use it with a 12v?  My poor wife will be tired pumping two up while I drink beer & tell her to hurry up....

Just now, racer808 said:

I think I am going to go ahead & get one, maybe two, but that's a lot of money.  It just looks like two behind the boat would be a blast

The pump that comes with it isn't a 12v?  Can you modify it so you can use it with a 12v?  My poor wife will be tired pumping two up while I drink beer & tell her to hurry up....

No 12V as I don't think it could get it to the high PSI it requires. It's one of those two-way pumps like shown here. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=HO-RAD-Inflatable-Disc-3-Diameter&i=938926

Honestly, it pumps up quick.  We leaved it stowed and when we're ready, we pump it up and then deflate it and stow it again.  

Bought the 5' RAD and FAD.  Local group buy with 3 friends at 2016 boat show (we each got $100 off).  RAD gets a lot of use and is fun to ride solo or with a kid.  Took place of tube (thankfully), also gets a lot of use when we're hanging in the cove.  Thought the FAD would get more use but it's significantly harder to ride like a wake skate, its almost too buoyant.  Agree with other comments, these are not like tubes, they're hard & stable like SUP.  Plan on trying the FAD more this summer.

I have one, lol.  They are super fun, I've busted my a** playing around on them and it's pretty funny watching everyone go for it.   The kids love playing on it when floating around a cove.   The thing is huge and fairly heavy, but deflated is manageable.  If no one is going to use it it stays behind.   I'd buy one and see where it goes from there!  It pearls easy at slower speeds and tubing on it has been eventful.

Edited by Shastasurf

Anyone use one of these as a baby/toddler tow-behind? It is a frequent occurrence for us to have a parent/adult sit on or in a tube and get slowly pulled around to give a young child the feel of being behind the boat. I could see a product like this providing a few more opportunities for adult/adolescent fun, but I wouldn't want to keep two inflatables on the boat so it'd have to be one or the other.

6 hours ago, RedOwl said:

Anyone use one of these as a baby/toddler tow-behind? It is a frequent occurrence for us to have a parent/adult sit on or in a tube and get slowly pulled around to give a young child the feel of being behind the boat. I could see a product like this providing a few more opportunities for adult/adolescent fun, but I wouldn't want to keep two inflatables on the boat so it'd have to be one or the other.

I thought it would be good for this too.   However it is very easy to nose dive and unless you are on it, you will be swimming. My experience with my wife and toddler was not tube like, lol.  My wife made me buy it and she acts like it's a roller coaster now.   My son will still ride it with me but really rather relax and tube.  At speed when it's planing its no problem but my toddlers wasn't feeling it at 20 mph. My drunk friends and older kids love it.

Edited by Shastasurf
16 hours ago, Shastasurf said:

I thought it would be good for this too.   However it is very easy to nose dive and unless you are on it, you will be swimming. My experience with my wife and toddler was not tube like, lol.  My wife made me buy it and she acts like it's a roller coaster now.   My son will still ride it with me but really rather relax and tube.  At speed when it's planing its no problem but my toddlers wasn't feeling it at 20 mph. My drunk friends and older kids love it.

Thanks.

We always get the adult to lean back on the tube so we can get in on plane, but then we keep it as low and slow as we can. The RAD looks like it'd be fun at 20, but I am guessing a slow crawl isn't manageable.