Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Battery Help

Roush611

I am finally gathering all the pieces to move my battery and soon to be 2nd battery to under the rear port side corner seat of my 2001 Wakesetter.  I am planning on going with 2 group 34M batteries as they are shallow enough to fit under the seat and do not require a box. The problem I am having is finding batteries do not cost an arm and a leg.  I keep running across optima, but I know people do not have great experience with them for the price. It seems there use to be a lot more options such as deka, diehard etc but I can find those anywhere. 

Do you all have any other options for that shallow of an area?  I am thinking of maybe going 2 mi6v for the stereo, but that does not solve my starting battery issue. I would like to stay under $200 a battery if possible or $200/pair if going 6v. 

There's really nothing wrong with the Optima as a brand/product. The main issue with the Optima group 34 is that it is a smaller than standard battery. Depending on which version you use, at most you will get 55 amp/hours. So even a standard group 24 is a significant upgrade in capacity. Deka, or the West Marine version, would be a good choice for a group 24 AGM. LifeLine makes a top-of-the line 24 AGM.  

Btw, smaller batteries with a smaller capacity typically mean deeper cycles, and the depth of cycle versus the number of cycles, is what will shorten a battery's lifespan the fastest. Usage and charging disciplines can make a 10 fold difference in battery lifespan. A lesson many of us have learned.    

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I am copying you just not moving them up front. I don't feel like rerouting a ton of wiring. 

9 hours ago, Roush611 said:

I am copying you just not moving them up front. I don't feel like rerouting a ton of wiring. 

It's worth it.  Where you want to put them is a great place for storage or ballast (I use mine for ballast).  Under the observer seat is basically wasted space as it is difficult to access compared to every other storage area in the boat.

12 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

i wish i would have known about these, i just bought 4 exide 31mdst from academy for 109 each.

I would have much rather had sealed battery that could be laid on their side and mounted under the port side bench instead of needing a box that takes up all of the room in my port locker

14 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

The other issue I have is I am not a member at Same club so I would have to buy a membership for this 1 purchase.  Which still might be worth it hahaha

19 hours ago, MLA said:

To get any decent Ah for your house bank, I dont see you finding anything in a wet cell. id pay a little more, get a better value, and go AGM and set them on their side. 

18 hours ago, David said:

There's really nothing wrong with the Optima as a brand/product. The main issue with the Optima group 34 is that it is a smaller than standard battery. Depending on which version you use, at most you will get 55 amp/hours. So even a standard group 24 is a significant upgrade in capacity. Deka, or the West Marine version, would be a good choice for a group 24 AGM. LifeLine makes a top-of-the line 24 AGM.  

Btw, smaller batteries with a smaller capacity typically mean deeper cycles, and the depth of cycle versus the number of cycles, is what will shorten a battery's lifespan the fastest. Usage and charging disciplines can make a 10 fold difference in battery lifespan. A lesson many of us have learned.    

Thank you for the help.  I bucked up and got a West Marine group 27 AGM.  They are 20% off and you get a free little charger with it. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--charge-pro-1-1-amp-portable-battery-charger--14981872

In regards to battery maintenance on that one, is there a good write up for proper charging techniques. I will not be running an on board charger as there is no power where the boat is stored. Typically I have not cared too much using lead acid since they are cheap but I do not want to have to be replacing this one after a couple of summers. 

Edited by Roush611

If you want your battery to perform close to its original specs and get the maximum lifespan, then a) avoid discharging below 12.0 volts, b) recharge immediately after the battery is discharged (rather than just before the next outing), and c) keep the battery at a high state of charge while stored. It is also helpful to exercise the battery during recharging according to the depth of cycle (but not required if the depth of discharge is very low). This requires more current. Your charger, being low amperage, is fully appropriate for keeping a maintenance charge if the battery is placed into storage at a full charge. A larger amperage multi-stage charger is recommended for when the battery is placed into storage at a deeply discharged level, say a 12 to 13 amp model for a group 27 battery. So a SMART 12 amp charger minimum to a 20 amp dual bank charger maximum. Your access to AC power may keep you from following this routine, but this is the optimum scenario.        

18 hours ago, David said:

If you want your battery to perform close to its original specs and get the maximum lifespan, then a) avoid discharging below 12.0 volts, b) recharge immediately after the battery is discharged (rather than just before the next outing), and c) keep the battery at a high state of charge while stored. It is also helpful to exercise the battery during recharging according to the depth of cycle (but not required if the depth of discharge is very low). This requires more current. Your charger, being low amperage, is fully appropriate for keeping a maintenance charge if the battery is placed into storage at a full charge. A larger amperage multi-stage charger is recommended for when the battery is placed into storage at a deeply discharged level, say a 12 to 13 amp model for a group 27 battery. So a SMART 12 amp charger minimum to a 20 amp dual bank charger maximum. Your access to AC power may keep you from following this routine, but this is the optimum scenario.        

Exactly what I do with mine.  Dual bank 20-amp on-board; only time the boat isn't on the charger is when it is on the water or being towed to/from.

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Been trying to get 2 of these from Sams Club for 3 weeks. All stores around me are out of stock. Anyone have another good choice in this price range for AGM?