Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 malibu wakesetter 5.7 monsoon

Ok I'm getting ready to do the maintenance on my boat to get ready for summer. What oil should I be running in the 5.7L with 110 hours on it. I believe the previous owners ran conventional motor oil. I had a buddy suggest Royal purple full synthetic. Would that help/hurt my engine. Ill be running it in TX with mostly summer hours on it. I would like some suggestions from yall (the professionals)  on what I should run and what weight? Experiences good and bad Please let me know 

9 hours ago, electricjohn said:

Any 15w-40 is fine.  There is no such thing as a bad oil anymore.

I agree, 15w-40 is fine and no bad oil anymore (even Walmart brand).

Royal Purple would make for an expensive oil change. 

I run straight 40w, since I never start the engine when it's 30 out there's no need for a multi-viscosity.

I would suggest running the tall Chevy filter instead of the short one.

Edited by MadMan
  • Like 1

If you have the room, the NAPA 1060 is the tall one for the 350/5.7 that I use. The 1060 replaced the 1069 and if you have the remote filter mount like I do, it will take almost a full quart to pre-fill the filter.

Keep it simple and cheap. As others have mentioned above there are plenty of options.  Here is a copy of my online order before I put her in storage. $41 (with tax) later shes ready to go for another year. I have a 2000 Wakesetter VLX with the monsoon for reference.

F8E01514-F07B-44AF-83DE-E5E499FC195B_zps

BTW a 2000 with 110 hours on it? Stock motor?

• Like 2

+1 for NAPA or WIX filters. Napa filters are made by WIX and identical. There are some other good ones out there but these are the best bang for your buck. Avoid Fram at all costs. 

I use Mobil 1 diesel oil just because I am a die hard Mobil 1 guy. It's hard for me to cheap out on oil on anything I care about even though the cheap stuff is still really good these days. It isn't a lot of extra money to get this stuff so I stick to it. I get a quart of the regular Mobil 1 10w40 to make up the difference. Always pumps / drains out easy with a warm engine and doesn't gunk anything up.  The Shell and Chevron diesel oils are also top notch if you really want to keep it on a budget. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-40-Turbo-Diesel-Truck-Motor-Oil-1-gal./17128879

^^ That mobil 1 link made me go out in the cold and check the jugs I use to change my other vehicle's oil with. I saw 4 quarts on the jug in the link and said.... no way! I hope my two cars aren't a quart low because I could swear they are 5 quart jugs. I was right... 5 quarts. Kinda strange the Diesel oil is in a smaller quantity. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
19 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

^^ That mobil 1 link made me go out in the cold and check the jugs I use to change my other vehicle's oil with. I saw 4 quarts on the jug in the link and said.... no way! I hope my two cars aren't a quart low because I could swear they are 5 quart jugs. I was right... 5 quarts. Kinda strange the Diesel oil is in a smaller quantity. 

Yeah, I got confused when they started selling oil in in 5-quart jugs, now they are the norm.  I believe the diesel oil is not sold that way is because diesels typically take more than 5 quarts to change, like 10 or 12.