Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

95 Response part info

Taylormadetroy

I recently purchased a 95 response with roughly 500 hours. The boat is in decent shape but I want to ensure everything gets updated as it should be. I'm relatively "handy" and what I can't accomplish my brother most certainly can help with. Having said that, finding the appropriate part numbers seems next to impossible. The boat has the 5.7L merc comp ski and I want to replace spark plug wires (already did plugs) as well as the cap and rotor. I've spent the better part of 48 hours attempting to make sure I had the right parts but am wanting to be sure. Something as simple as wires have details such as ignition type-just want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Now to the other issues-The boat runs alright at lower RPM but bogs down when we get to higher RPM (3500+). My plan is to start with these items, check fuel lines and filters, and go from there but am open to other suggestions as well. Living in northern Michigan we still have 2-3 months before we'll be on the water.  Any sites or tips would be appreciated. 

Side note:the closest Malibu dealer is 4 hours away so that's a tough hike to go that far for parts-but I will if necessary. 

And they give you a discount if you are a Malibu Crew paid member.  You'll make you money back on your first order.

Just click on "Store" and then "Store Home" on the drop down.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Taylormadetroy said:

I recently purchased a 95 response with roughly 500 hours. The boat is in decent shape but I want to ensure everything gets updated as it should be. I'm relatively "handy" and what I can't accomplish my brother most certainly can help with. Having said that, finding the appropriate part numbers seems next to impossible. The boat has the 5.7L merc comp ski and I want to replace spark plug wires (already did plugs) as well as the cap and rotor. I've spent the better part of 48 hours attempting to make sure I had the right parts but am wanting to be sure. Something as simple as wires have details such as ignition type-just want to make sure I order the correct parts.

Now to the other issues-The boat runs alright at lower RPM but bogs down when we get to higher RPM (3500+). My plan is to start with these items, check fuel lines and filters, and go from there but am open to other suggestions as well. Living in northern Michigan we still have 2-3 months before we'll be on the water.  Any sites or tips would be appreciated. 

Side note:the closest Malibu dealer is 4 hours away so that's a tough hike to go that far for parts-but I will if necessary. 

Congrats on the vintage malibu!  I buy most of my stuff from Bakes too.  Smart guys, knowledgeable, etc.

I would do a compression check and start with that.  There is no point chasing a problem if you haven't ruled out a solid engine first.  Post up the numbers here, lots of good guys to bounce that off of.

Also - carb or fuel injection?

For the sake of loving DD ski boats....

2016 Closed and open bows 2 compressed.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Taylormadetroy said:

https://public-mercurymarine.sysonline.com/Default.aspx?sysname=NorthAmerica&company=Guest&NA_KEY=NA_KEY_VALUE&langIF=eng&langDB=eng  Put you engine serial number in to see what the oem part number is.

WAwinegrapes

Malibu does a great job in baffling and changing part numbers.

If you have a good to great NAPA store close by, try them out.  They should be able to cross reference part numbers for you.

Worse case scenerio, take the part off  and drag along when going to NAPA.  That is the best and easiest way to get the correct parts.

NAPA will have the filters you need.  WIX  are much better filters than Pennzoil, FRAM, and others.  And for the parts not stocked, they can get the next day!

NAPA stores are privately owned, so the level of knowledge varies from store to store.

SKIDIM.COM for marine parts like drivelines, engine replacement parts.  They are very friendly, very knowledgable and very helpful.

Had a 95 Response years ago.  IT was a great boat.  1000+ hours with not a problem.

Also this site, will have owner's manual and more info for your boat.

Edited by WAwinegrapes

Posters on this site are very helpful with questions about these boats.  I've worked through several issues with my 95 with the help of people around here.

Let's see some photos!

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Congrats on the vintage malibu!  I buy most of my stuff from Bakes too.  Smart guys, knowledgeable, etc.

I would do a compression check and start with that.  There is no point chasing a problem if you haven't ruled out a solid engine first.  Post up the numbers here, lots of good guys to bounce that off of.

Also - carb or fuel injection?

Thanks for the advice! I had all new (I'll get the terminology wrong) head gaskets and springs (?) put in last fall along with a couple other things. They did a compression test while the boat was in and said it actually had "great" compression. I am relatively good acquaintes with the owner so I may see if he'll do one for me this spring just to ease my mind. I'll be contacting bakes tomorrow-I'm going to attempt to purchase the all my parts in stages so my wife doesn't kill me-this is just my second stage of replacing "old" parts

the old girl is carb  

Again,

thanks for the input-this site is an incredible resource 

14 hours ago, Taylormadetroy said:

Thanks for the advice! I had all new (I'll get the terminology wrong) head gaskets and springs (?) put in last fall along with a couple other things. They did a compression test while the boat was in and said it actually had "great" compression. I am relatively good acquaintes with the owner so I may see if he'll do one for me this spring just to ease my mind. I'll be contacting bakes tomorrow-I'm going to attempt to purchase the all my parts in stages so my wife doesn't kill me-this is just my second stage of replacing "old" parts

the old girl is carb  

Again,

thanks for the input-this site is an incredible resource 

Ah-ha, knowing that don't bother with a compression check.  Start with the tune-up (cap/rotor/plugs/wires) and filters, like you were originally.  Double check your wires to make sure you are in the correct firing order.  It is a very easy mistake to make, and these boats will idle nicely even on 6 cylinders but then under load will stumble.  There may be a screen inside your carb, where the steel line goes into it.  Loosen that line at the carb connection and make sure that screen is not plugged when you are doing your other service.

@Taylormadetroy:  congrats on your new toy.  A few more items to check on, 1. the anti siphon valve on top of the fuel tank, if it sticks closed it can create a vacuum if the fuel cap seals when closed.  They sometimes can corrode and stick.  2. carb issues particularly if there is any debris in the system, a good clean/rebuild of your Weber carb will clean up many maladies.  Parts are available at various suppliers including ones listed above.  3. you might want to check on the mechanical fuel pump output.  4. any corrosion in the distributor cap or potential cracks (you could check on that by running engine in dark and looking for arcing around the cap and by plugs to check on wire condition.  As for spark plug wires, if you have a Perfect Pass or might consider one, make sure you get good suppression wires as the PP unit is sensitive to RFI.  You might also want to check on all your electrical connections and particular ensure all the grounds are tight and corrosion free.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea how to determine what type of ignition I have? When I go to order cap and rotor it asks what kind of ignition-my two options are breaker pont or thunderbolt. Is there any easy way to determine that?

On 3/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, Michigan boarder said:

I love seeing those boats.  @Taylormadetroy , congrats!  Mine is a '98.  

And regarding the quote above, I really have no use for the wake boats, v-drives, surf boats, etc.  (not that there is anything necessarily "wrong" with those boats. ;)

@Taylormadetroy:  as noted above and/or you can pop off the distributor cap and see if there is the silver wheel or a set of points.  The cap should also say Thundervolt right on it or have a replacement part number on it you can match up.  You can also google Thundervolt IV or V and review the materials online as an identifier aid.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be an entirely stupid question...but I'll take that risk. I have the OEM part numbers for new fuel lines...my question is are the fuel lines special "marine" lines or can I get the lines from NAPA or another auto store? Next, are the fuel lines actually significantly different from year to year or are fuel lines relatively "similar"? My buddy has a 95 echelon and spent $4k replacing basically half his motor and it turns out he needed fuel lines-so this has urged me to just replace mine as I'm confident they were never replaced. Thanks!

@Taylormadetroy:  The key criteria for fuel lines is compatibility with the fuel you are using.  Today's fuel blends tend to contain ethanol so you want fuel lines that are compatible with it, older lines and specifically pre 2000 stuff was not designed for the current fuel blends.  You can surf the net for many articles on this subject.  One suggestion, use double clamps for any of the fuel lines that are under pressure if rubber, added safety factor.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:55 AM, Woodski said:

@Taylormadetroy:  The key criteria for fuel lines is compatibility with the fuel you are using.  Today's fuel blends tend to contain ethanol so you want fuel lines that are compatible with it, older lines and specifically pre 2000 stuff was not designed for the current fuel blends.  You can surf the net for many articles on this subject.  One suggestion, use double clamps for any of the fuel lines that are under pressure if rubber, added safety factor.

One last question since I can't seem to get a real answer I don't think. I have the 95 350 MAG EFI. Does anybody know how many\where the fuel filters are located? I know there's one right before the throttle body...but that's the only one I see. I want to make sure I get them all cleaned out/replaced. I've heard there's 1, 2, 3...and all in different places.  Thanks! 

@Taylormadetroy:  You will have a small screen filter on the in tank pickup tube, usually that does not need much service, and probably at least one on the inlet side of the fuel pump, either remote or integral with the pump (but serviceable).  I suggest checking the service manual and if no luck there, try the Merc. website or google the question and you should see several Mercury documents pop up.