Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 VLX Rev 8

Lees23

Question.. I resently put money down on a '17 22 VLX that has one set of Rev 8's on the tower. We rarely wakeboard and often have little ones in the boat.  I am not a fan the way HLCD's sound, since we don't listen at distance often would I be better to sub out the rev's for the icons?  I have never heard icons so I don't have anything to compare to.  If I ask for a swap aren't the icons a downgrade from the Revs? 

Thanks all. 

Edited by Lees23

I have one pair of icon 8's in my 2016, and we can barely hear anything outside the boat, even when surfing. My 2016 does not have the wetsounds amps, but the icon's don't seem to project much, but are fine for inside the boat. No matter how much I tuned the amps or stereo, the icon's were very high pitched and would often hurt our hears. I would go for the HLCD over the tweeters. Just don't blast it. 

• Like 1

I would go out and say something is not tuned properly or the speaker is under powered.  One pair of icon 8's should easily be heard while surfing.  You might want to call Wetsounds or your dealer and find out about turning the gains up.  I don't think you can do it on the 17's without figuring out the new amps they are running.  It is not an easy turn of the screwdriver with new amp setup but I am sure once directed you can get some more power to them.

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Question.. I resently put money down on a '17 22 VLX that has one set of Rev 8's on the tower. We rarely wakeboard and often have little ones in the boat.  I am not a fan the way HLCD's sound, since we don't listen at distance often would I be better to sub out the rev's for the icons?  I have never heard icons so I don't have anything to compare to.  If I ask for a swap aren't the icons a downgrade from the Revs? 

Thanks all. 

When a co ax speaker is powered properly they can still project.  Fwiw, I am running 4 Surf 9s this time on my lsv rather than hlcds.  I will be running plenty of power to each speaker at 4 ohms.  I am also ready for a change from the hlcd's.   They definitely pound your ears.

Interesting feedback so far, thanks.  I am having a surfpipe installed so that should help with required volume levels outside the boat.  My current MasterCraft is just about impossible to hear anything outside the boat.. killer exhaust note, but gets old. 

Very interesting to hear that the wetsounds amps in the 17's don't have accessible level input controls. What model of amp are they and what are the specs?

Edited by Lees23

Fwiw, I just ordered 4 icon 8s, and a proper WS amp to run them. After MANY discussions on here, and advice from @MLA, I think the icon will be plenty for what I'm looking for. We only surf, never wakeboard, and do a lot of cove swimming. 

Tons of info on the new setup for 2017 in the thread below.    I can't speak to the Icons, but am happy with the Rev 8's in our setup - lots of surfing and 3 kids on the boat almost all the time.    I think my upcoming zone control will really help out, which you'll already have on the 2017.  

• Like 2

It's not complicated. Loudness is the key to projection. The louder the farther. The Icon8 will play very loud and should have no trouble reaching surf range. Two pair can do a good job at wake range. But it's dependent on the amplifier power. A Rev8 will play louder and project farther but you will need more power to accomplish this.

I am just trying to decide if I would like the sound of an Icon over a rev.  It sounds like the amps are custom tuned for the specific speaker so maybe I should just leave it alone. 

I haven't heard the icons. I went with one pair of rev8s on my 17. Very happy! I don't think they sound harsh. In fact, I would like a little more treble. I think the system comes pretty nicely tuned for most people. The amps need software to adjust. I would go with the rev8s. They can be heard by a surfer, or if you want, a wakeboarder. I love blasting Tay Tay! ;)

these-are-not-the-titles-youre-looking-f

Edited by teamerickson

Just reading your info on the other thread.  I am pretty excited to get my boat and start rocking Atlantic Starr , Always.  This was the song m wife made me sit through at our wedding and I will never let her live it down. 

• Like 1

I am adding a second pair of Icon 8s to my 21 VLX that just arrived. I asked the dealer to call WS for AMP advice. They said the one AMP would be ok but recommended adding a second AMP to do it right. I would rather have too much power than not enough.

18 hours ago, Lees23 said:

If I ask for a swap aren't the icons a downgrade from the Revs?

Is a malibu TXi a lesser boat because its built for slalom? The Icon is not a downgrade from a Rev-8, just a different speaker for a different purpose. 

I would say that the icon-8 would be an ideal setup for you, based on what you have posted. Not because the Rev-8 is in anyway harsh though. I see no issue with making the swap. IIRC, the amp is the Syn-DX2-DSP. Perfect amp for a pair or two of icon-8

@bbattiste247 something is not right here. poorly tuned, extremely low amp wattage, etc. This does not sound like an 8" coaxial problem

28 minutes ago, MLA said:

Is a malibu TXi a lesser boat because its built for slalom? The Icon is not a downgrade from a Rev-8, just a different speaker for a different purpose. 

I would say that the icon-8 would be an ideal setup for you, based on what you have posted. Not because the Rev-8 is in anyway harsh though. I see no issue with making the swap. IIRC, the amp is the Syn-DX2-DSP. Perfect amp for a pair or two of icon-8

@bbattiste247 something is not right here. poorly tuned, extremely low amp wattage, etc. This does not sound like an 8" coaxial problem

What I meant was financially, not quality.