Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

XS 650 questions

rugger

Good deals on XS650s now that Revos are here.... and I like good deals.    I've only owned Rev 10s from WS, and my in-boats are gonna need replacing soon due to so many years in the sun (Polk momo 6.5).  

My question for the audiophiles... is my ARC KS300.4  (88 watts to each of 4 pairs) enough power for XS650?   Seems like I've read people that have that setup, but on paper it seems like the lower power rated speakers would be better, or I'd want to upgrade amps.    Appreciate the input.

4 minutes ago, rugger said:

Good deals on XS650s now that Revos are here.... and I like good deals.    I've only owned Rev 10s from WS, and my in-boats are gonna need replacing soon due to so many years in the sun (Polk momo 6.5).  

My question for the audiophiles... is my ARC KS300.4  (88 watts to each of 4 pairs) enough power for XS650?   Seems like I've read people that have that setup, but on paper it seems like the lower power rated speakers would be better, or I'd want to upgrade amps.    Appreciate the input.

Sometimes the upgrade speaker with greater power handling has less sensitivity and should be matched with higher power. But not the case with the XS650s. They will sound better with more power but do not require more power.  

Ok thanks.  Was told by WS that it takes a min of 100 watts to each XS650 to wake those speakers up.   They recommended to 65i speakers for my case.  With the Rev 10s up top, we don't hammer the in-boat cabins too much.   But I was worried if they get to little power to the 650s it'd burn em up.

7 hours ago, rugger said:

Ok thanks.  Was told by WS that it takes a min of 100 watts to each XS650 to wake those speakers up.   They recommended to 65i speakers for my case.  With the Rev 10s up top, we don't hammer the in-boat cabins too much.   But I was worried if they get to little power to the 650s it'd burn em up.

Yes, at 100 watts each the XS650s are starting to reach their potential. And they keep sounding better and better with a higher power amplifier. But the 650 is a sound quality upgrade over the 65i with any level of power and you won't lose sensitivity. IMO, the place for a 65i is when it fits within the power handling of your amplifier and you need to conform to a budget, especially with multiple pairs. Burning up a speaker with too little power is a myth.      

6 hours ago, skylerchamblee said:

Is there a difference between 650 and revo6? I just ordered 5 sets of the 650rgb

Yes. The Revo-6 is all new compared to the retired XS-650. All new tweeter and cross-over, RGB LEDs now included, multiple grill options to name a few. Noticeable difference in sound quality.  

EDIT: "NOW" included

Edited by MLA

Ok thanks all.  Maybe I better just axe the whole system and start all over with amps and speakers. or.... run the WS 6.5s w/ the current KS300.4 and not worry about it.  Thanks.

I just replaced the factory Rockfords with six XS650's and powering them with the HT6 with 100 watts RMS to each channel.  Also have a pair of Rev 10's up top powered by the Syn4 bridged.  Pick it up today from the stereo shop.

I too just decided to replace my factory in-cabin speakers. They are being shipped. Didn't see this post until now. I knew I had needed to replace them after so many years and the deal on the 650s made it that much easier. 

I was also told that they need to run no less than 100 and no more than 200. WS also has had a great deal on the HT2 amp that I picked up to replace my older amp. They still have the Syn2 on sale that would be great for running two pair of 650s. 

53 minutes ago, timmypop said:

I was also told that they need to run no less than 100 and no more than 200. 

^^ That's what I was told too.   Which is why I posted this.  Not sure if that's a company line to sell amps or just what was ideal.  But when I told WS my amp would be rated for about 88 per pair they said not a good way to go. 

Appreciate MLA, David and others who posted w/ insight.  

On 3/14/2017 at 0:49 AM, rugger said:

If your gonna axe that 300.2 pm me. I'll take it lol

1 hour ago, rugger said:

^^ That's what I was told too.   Which is why I posted this.  Not sure if that's a company line to sell amps or just what was ideal.  But when I told WS my amp would be rated for about 88 per pair they said not a good way to go. 

Appreciate MLA, David and others who posted w/ insight.  

Part of that is from the perspective of the brand you don't want consumers hearing your more expensive upgrade speakers out in the field sounding anything less than at their very best. So you want the better sounding speaker that can also play louder and handle more power packaged with more power.   

• Like 2

Building from scratch or totally redoing the setup, id put more emphasis on the amp suggestions. However, the Arc KS300.4 is a quality amp and a proven solid performer. One that likely benches out with grater output than its rated RMS. I also base my position on having the opportunity of listening to the XS-650 on 15W rms head unit wattage up to a 185W rms SD and Syn-2 wattage.