Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sound Pack 2 Advice

Jasvols83

My wife and I are finalizing a deal on a 2017 Axis T-23 and I have a few questions regarding the Sound Pack 2.  I have seen various posting about the differences of each package and many recommendations on what can/should be done to "upgrade" the base package.

My question is does anyone know if the 17 models have the HTX amplifiers or the old HT amps?  I keep forgetting to take a closer look when I have viewed the boat.

Next question is... How is the system set up?  I am assuming the HT2 is pushing the 4 icon speakers around 150RMS.  I know they call for 150RMS but what is the general feedback on this?  My current Malibu has a pair of REV10s.  I know that I comparing apples to oranges but am curious on the feedback of these speakers with the factory amp from people who surf and are okay with not having a horn speaker.  I know many people recommend replacing the Icons with a single set of REV 10s but for now I am trying to keep as much of the factory system as possible. 

That would leave the HT6 running the 6 interiors and sub.  What is each interior and the sub receiving RMS?  Also, are the interiors XS650s or are they XS-65i?  How does the sound compare between the two?  I have the XS650s in my current and am hoping for not a large drop off if they are the 65i.

What are your recommendations on the Sub with the current amp?  Should I seal the current FA10 or move to a different sub all together.  I prefer a decent amount of midbass but again for this season I am trying to keep things stock as possible.

The wild card on all of this is, I have a Exile Javelin amp in my garage and am debating on replacing the HT6 with it and from my limited knowledge, I think it would be an upgrade that would give me more power to the interiors and leave me a ton of room on whatever sub option route I go with (replacing the 10 with a 12).  Is this accurate or should I stick with the HT6.

Lots of ideas and recommendations to share if you could confirm the exact factory system components and exactly how the subwoofer is loaded. Try calling Wetsounds about the factory system if you don't get the answers here.

5 hours ago, Jasvols83 said:

I am assuming the HT2 is pushing the 4 icon speakers around 150RMS.  I know they call for 150RMS but what is the general feedback on this? 

150W rms from either the HT-2 or HTX-2 is a prefect setup for 2 pair of Icon-8. 

am curious on the feedback of these speakers with the factory amp from people who surf and are okay with not having a horn speaker

The Coaxial Icon-8 is ideal for surfing. Setup correct with adequate wattage, 2 pair of 8" coaxial should have plenty of output for a surfing setup.

I know many people recommend replacing the Icons with a single set of REV 10s

Building from scratch, I would certainly suggest considering a single pair of Rev-10 for surfing, but would have a hard time recommending pulling two pair of icon for a single pair of Rev-10.

That would leave the HT6 running the 6 interiors and sub.  What is each interior and the sub receiving RMS?

300W rms to a woofer and 75W rms for each in-boat

I would leave the 6 chnl amp in place, if you decide to make a woofer setup change. This would now net you a 110W rms potential for ALL 6 in-boats. Now install the amp that best matches the woofer you choose.

Should I seal the current FA10

As in place it in a small sealed enclosure? No, IMO. The issue ive come across in past Axis models, is poor tuning of the in-boat and woofer as well lack of support/insulation regarding the woofer mounting and only 4 of 6 screws holding the woofer. Solve that and the 10FA performs well. Is it enough for everyone? no, so it does matter what your expectations are.