Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige Z1 vs 22VLX

Lees23

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

That is sharp as ALL get out.   Nice boat!    It is amazing to me how much better the real thing looks than what boat builder spits out.   Really like the color scheme.   Even better, you do not have to wait for yours!   Im STILL waiting for a spray date.    I think I only checked my email for something from Mailbu about 20 times today :whistle:

2 minutes ago, JeffC said:

That is sharp as ALL get out.   Nice boat!    It is amazing to me how much better the real thing looks than what boat builder spits out.   Really like the color scheme.   Even better, you do not have to wait for yours!   Im STILL waiting for a spray date.    I think I only checked my email for something from Mailbu about 20 times today :whistle:

Thanks, I appreciate it.  My wife really wanted to build but I didn't want to wait.  The dealer blew me away with the price so it was hard to pass up(and I didn't).

Hiw long have you been waiting and once the process starts how long will it take? 

Edited by Lees23
4 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

Thanks, I appreciate it.  My wife really wanted to build but I didn't want to wait.  The dealer blew me away with the price so it was hard to pass up(and I didn't).

Hiw long have you been waiting and once the process starts how long will it take? 

I ordered on Feb 4... still waiting for the spray date.   The expectation that I have from the dealer is that I should have the boat in late April, and I think it typically takes about 3 weeks from the spray date to get here to Colorado.  

Ideally, if I can get away from work, I would like to take a trip to Loudon when mine is being built.   My son lives in the DC area, have talked about flying there, then heading down to TN to play some golf, tour Jack Daniels, and tour Malibu.   I dont know if I will be able to make it work, but at least it SOUNDS fun. 

Funny... I was very serious about buying the holdover 2016 boat.   My wife actually encouraged me to custom order so that we would get exactly what we wanted.   We both are getting very anxious, as are all of our kids.

Congrats!! Nothing like walking away with a great deal on a boat you really want. We got ours our for one day last month but schedule and weather have synced for another trip yet. 

7 hours ago, JeffC said:

I ordered on Feb 4... still waiting for the spray date.   The expectation that I have from the dealer is that I should have the boat in late April, and I think it typically takes about 3 weeks from the spray date to get here to Colorado.  

Ideally, if I can get away from work, I would like to take a trip to Loudon when mine is being built.   My son lives in the DC area, have talked about flying there, then heading down to TN to play some golf, tour Jack Daniels, and tour Malibu.   I dont know if I will be able to make it work, but at least it SOUNDS fun. 

Funny... I was very serious about buying the holdover 2016 boat.   My wife actually encouraged me to custom order so that we would get exactly what we wanted.   We both are getting very anxious, as are all of our kids.

Do it!

Especially if you have never been. Even if you have the changes they have made over the past couple of years are pretty impressive.

18 hours ago, MLA said:

No way to compare the ASR, which is the worst Tige surf boat in 10 years, to the Z1 and absolutely no way to compare a boat with the AVX to a boat with the TAPS-3 delayed convergence principal surf system. 

I find this funny, considering Tige released the surf remote one model year ahead of Malibu 

Both models have a 102 beam and rated for 14 people. The 22 is 5" longer in advertised length though. 

Really? Seems funny considering the amount of 1200-1400 lb custom sacs that get installed year after year in tige boats. 

I didn't compare the ASR to the z1, I said my primary experince with tige boats are the ASR and rz2.  I stated the ASr surfs terrible. 

Great they released a surf remote before malibu, Surf remotes blow! What about the facts that it took them forever to get on the ballast train, or the surf system train, how about them being behind on touch screens?  all in all Tige isn't not as innovative as other brands and tends to come late to the game are large changes in the industry.

Beam doesn't tell the whole story.  I actually just went through this a friend who was looking at a Z1 and RZX, coming from a LSV.  The LSV had significantly more room in the cabin than either boat when we measured it out.  So did the G23, whihc is what he ended up buying.

I was talking about wakeboarding.  Anyone who knows anything about weighting boats for wakeboarding knows deep V hulls tend to produce wakes that roll over on themselves when weighted heavy.

obviously i hit an emotional trigger for you and my opinion of tige, since you didn't even read what I was actually saying and jumped to multiple conclusions.  I never said tiges were bad boats, I just said malibus price difference is warranted

14 hours ago, JeffC said:

You're in colorado like me, what engine did you get?

Just now, CJAY said:

You're in colorado like me, what engine did you get?

I took the 410.   I originally had the 450 in the build, but after reading through all the tech info here (basically that it is only a ECM flash upgrade, otherwise the motor is the same), and that the torque is essentially the same up to 3800 RPM, the price of the 450 seemed like a tall hill, especially since I was already over budget.   It was an agonizing decision, as I believe you can never have TOO much power.   The 575 was completely out of reach for me.    What do you have (or on order)? 

I am supposed to be getting a test ride... that would be my final checkpoint.   As long as I can get on plane throw a good surf wave with the wakemaker PNP bags (I THINK that is what I will do, out of the gate, I am just the bow, midship, and rear hard tanks, but I am sure I will add more as I figure out surfing) with a crew of 4-5 I will be ok.    Some days I will have a bigger crew, but I am OK if need to load a little less ballast on those days.

Just now, JeffC said:

I took the 410.   I originally had the 450 in the build, but after reading through all the tech info here (basically that it is only a ECM flash upgrade, otherwise the motor is the same), and that the torque is essentially the same up to 3800 RPM, the price of the 450 seemed like a tall hill, especially since I was already over budget.   It was an agonizing decision, as I believe you can never have TOO much power.   The 575 was completely out of reach for me.    What do you have (or on order)? 

I am supposed to be getting a test ride... that would be my final checkpoint.   As long as I can get on plane throw a good surf wave with the wakemaker PNP bags (I THINK that is what I will do, out of the gate, I am just the bow, midship, and rear hard tanks, but I am sure I will add more as I figure out surfing) with a crew of 4-5 I will be ok.    Some days I will have a bigger crew, but I am OK if need to load a little less ballast on those days.

Nice, yeah I'm not as up on the new raptor motors.  I have the 450 when they were still GM blocks and there is more than a ECM difference for those.

Yeah you'll be fine surfing.  VLX makes a great surf wave when properly weighted.  At lower alt it's even better.  The waves we get at powell are insane, we all suddenly become 50% better surfers when we can throw everything at the boat there.

If you need advice on weighing let me know

Edited by CJAY
Just now, CJAY said:

Nice, yeah I'm not as up on the new raptor motors.  I have the 450 when they were still GM blocks and there is more than a ECM difference for those.

Yeah you'll be fine surfing.  VLX makes a great surf wave when properly weighted.  At lower alt it's even better.  The waves we get at powell are insane, we all suddenly become 50% better surfers when we can throw everything at the boat there.

Not to hijack this thread, but I did see your posts in the whats new 2017 thread.   Sorry to see the problems you had, that had to suck.    This is my first Malibu, and one that I expect to keep for a long time.   Ill be doing recreational skiing (wont need much ballast for that, maybe some up front).   I wont do much if any wakeboarding myself, maybe the kids.   I expect I will be doing a LOT of surfing... mostly because it is something I can do a little later in the day at Horsetooth when skiing is out of the picture.  That, and I am told I will soon be addicted surfing.   Have yet to try it.

Back to the original topic, we spent a lot of time in the Z1 and Z3 at the Denver Boat show.   I know that is just convention center boating, amd we liked the Tige offerings a lot, but thought VLX 22 felt much bigger, and that carried a lot of weight for us.   I have not been on the water on a newer generation Tige boat even still.     

1 minute ago, JeffC said:

Not to hijack this thread, but I did see your posts in the whats new 2017 thread.   Sorry to see the problems you had, that had to suck.    This is my first Malibu, and one that I expect to keep for a long time.   Ill be doing recreational skiing (wont need much ballast for that, maybe some up front).   I wont do much if any wakeboarding myself, maybe the kids.   I expect I will be doing a LOT of surfing... mostly because it is something I can do a little later in the day at Horsetooth when skiing is out of the picture.  That, and I am told I will soon be addicted surfing.   Have yet to try it.

Back to the original topic, we spent a lot of time in the Z1 and Z3 at the Denver Boat show.   I know that is just convention center boating, amd we liked the Tige offerings a lot, but thought VLX 22 felt much bigger, and that carried a lot of weight for us.   I have not been on the water on a newer generation Tige boat even still.     

That was back with my LSV with the MP 450, that engine was terrible.  My VLX has been a dream.  Yeah surfing is addictive.  Over the last few years I quit going all out wakeboarding due to injuries and getting tired of hurting into mid winter after a full summer of riding.  It's gotten to the point where I wakeboarded like three times last year.  I surfed a ton and it is super addictive.  As you get better you're going to find your self dropping some cash on good boards

WWS is probably the most customer friendly dealer in colorado.  love those guys.  I just can't see myself ever picking a tige over a malibu.  Right now I'm trying to talk the wife intoi a 24mxz in 2018

5 hours ago, CJAY said:

I didn't compare the ASR to the z1,

No, what you did was use your experience with the ASR in a thread about comparing a Z1 to the 22 VLX. The ARS and Z1 are SOOOO far apast, theres no way to use it. In that example, one could easily say, "i tried to surf a TXi, it terrible, so id pass on a 22 VLX". Make sense?

So why does every difference of opinion have to be rooted in emotion? 

5 hours ago, CJAY said:

What about the facts that it took them forever to get on the ballast train, or the surf system train, how about them being behind on touch screens? 

Not following the heard, does not make one not innovative. 

On 3/13/2017 at 3:28 PM, CJAY said:

So I happen to have quite a few friends with tiges and have wake boarded and surfed behind an rz2 and ASR.  The Tiges surf very well, outside the ASR, tend to have steep lippy surf waves easy to setup. That being said my VLX is still the favorite wave for everyone to ride, and on their powell trip last year the LSV was the favorite, they had 2 tiges there also.  Malibu surf waves tend to have  a little more push with surfgate, but are harder to get that strong lip tige wakes get, haven't ridden an tiges with surf system though, have heard good things though.

Wake board wake the malibus are hands down better, except the asr.  I'd say the ASR is slightly better than my wakeboard wake, but it's just a wakeboard boat and surfs like crap.  The issue with tige wakes is they don't handle weight very well, where malibu wakes love them.  They are steep peaky wakes like nautique, but lack the punch of nautique wakes.  When you really throw weight at them they curl due to the deep V hull.  They really don't have the ability to become great wakes.  I can throw 4000+ pounds of ballast at my BU and that wake gets scary big and peaky. 

Fit and finish malibu hands down is better.  Also tige really is behind the times in inovation.  They tend to follow the crowd a little late on new inovations, where nautique and malibu lead the way.  The bu is wider and holds more people for similar sized models, they tend to feel better put together to me also.  Nice thing abotu tige is they really have done well with their sound systems over the last few years.  Malibu is just now catching up there, not that it matters to me because I put my own systems in anyways.

In the end tiges are good boats that surf awesome, aren't great wakeboarding boats(outside the asr) but the price difference is there for a reason. Malibus are nicer IMO. I honestly don't think you'd be upset with a tige though.  The tige is a really good lower priced sirf boat, the malibu is a higher priced do everything well boat.

Are you an active member on TeamTalk?  You used to own a MC? I recognize your forum name from somewhere..

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

Nice.  My first boat was a new 2006 202BR.  It was a GREAT boat. 

The community over on crowniehq.net is excellent too.  When I bought my 182BR, I started out over there, great group, and FAR from just a crownline group.   Quite a few V-drive people too.   I LOVED my 182BR... just too small, and no surfing meant it was time to move on. 

WRT to weighting, I will be looking for help.   Figure Ill play around with the stock stuff... and then buy some bags when I start to get the hang of surfing.  I did get the PNP set up.

14 minutes ago, JeffC said:

The community over on crowniehq.net is excellent too.  When I bought my 182BR, I started out over there, great group, and FAR from just a crownline group.   Quite a few V-drive people too.   I LOVED my 182BR... just too small, and no surfing meant it was time to move on. 

WRT to weighting, I will be looking for help.   Figure Ill play around with the stock stuff... and then buy some bags when I start to get the hang of surfing.  I did get the PNP set up.

Get the locker bags now since it's going to be a lot easier to learn to surf and teach others with a bigger wave. Once you get the hang of it, you can start messing around with a bow sac if you want but not everyone does that.

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Have your dealer throw the bags in with your purchase.

If he does make sure they are not 2014 and earlier bags. Your fittings will pop off of them unless you do some custom work on the plumbing. 2015+ has specific bags for the PNP setup in them.

23 hours ago, MLA said:

No, what you did was use your experience with the ASR in a thread about comparing a Z1 to the 22 VLX. The ARS and Z1 are SOOOO far apast, theres no way to use it. In that example, one could easily say, "i tried to surf a TXi, it terrible, so id pass on a 22 VLX". Make sense?

So why does every difference of opinion have to be rooted in emotion? 

Not following the heard, does not make one not innovative. 

Man your butt hurt is so strong that's it's hurting your reading comprehension.  I simply stated my main experience was the rz2and Asr, and I never once stated they surf poorly, except for the Asr. What I did say was the wakeboard wakes roll over when weighted heavy, which is due to having a deep v hull

differences in opinion don't, but when you come out swinging, like you did, you either are emotionally tied to the brand or your panties are bunching up a little too tight

tige follows the herd, they just trail a ways behind typically.  Look at their history with ballast and surf systems.  Taps 3 is basically mastercrats gen 1 surf system, and it took them forever to put a surf system on their boats.  Up until last year they called surf system novelties. They make good boats, like I've already said, they just don't tend to lead the way in boat innovation.

Edited by CJAY
6 minutes ago, CJAY said:

Man your butt hurt is so strong that's it's hurting your reading comprehension

Wow, absolutely comical. You win. You simply cant deal with a difference of opinion and need to make it something else other than about boats. Youve tried in your last two posts. 

@ the OP, dont buy a Tige Z1 cause cjay rode in an ASR :rofl:

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Lees23 said:

Are you an active member on TeamTalk?  You used to own a MC? I recognize your forum name from somewhere..

No I'm on my 3rd Malibu. Never owned a mastercraft.  Great boats, just the mastercraft dealer here was terrible.  They sold recently, so it may be better now.

Our top two dealers, around here, are a Malibu dealer and tige dealer. In fact we have the top selling tige dealer in the nation. Tons of malibus and tiges around here, so you get a chance to learn a lot about both brands on the lakes around here

7 minutes ago, MLA said:

Wow, absolutely comical. You win. You simply cant deal with a difference of opinion and need to make it something else other than about boats. Youve tried in your last two posts. 

@ the OP, dont buy a Tige Z1 cause cjay rode in an ASR :rofl:

Whatever man, you need to work on your reading comprehension....  I wasn't comparing the obvious lack of surfability of the Asr to any boat, hell they had to come out with the rzx and change it's name  from the Asr due to how poorly it surfed. I was just stating my primary exp with tige was those 2 boats.  All other tiges surf good, like I stated multiple times before...

Edited by CJAY

I must have misquoted the wrong person.  I meant to ask MLA.  The name is just super familiar.  I am coming from a MC.. I won't say anymore than that.

Edited by Lees23