Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige Z1 vs 22VLX

Lees23

18 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I am in KC.  And I am headed to Stateamind soon to pick my boat back up.  If you want to tag along and check those out, let me know!  

When are you going?  Unfortunately I HAVE to go to Hawaii next weekend for a week.  Rough trip...

We're a biased crew as expected, so I agree the 22VLX is going to be a great boat for the way you said you'd be using it and it will give you solid resale to almost any state because of the Malibu dealer network.

I don't know Tige well since they are almost non-existent in this area because a poor dealer network but this could be one of the first times in the last few years that someone's asked for comparison between a Tige and Malibu, if that tells you anything of the relative brand perceptions. We see those requests almost weekly here for Nautiques, and less frequently for MC, Centurion and even Supra, but Tige just doesn't come up much, if at all in these discussions.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

When are you going?  Unfortunately I HAVE to go to Hawaii next weekend for a week.  Rough trip...

Not sure yet - need to get the deck stained and then will be itching to get the boat in the water.  Although, the snow this weekend tempered my expectations a bit.    Probably in 2-3 weeks at this point.    

7 hours ago, blytle473 said:

I looked a this one in some detail.   Guy I was talking to (sure I could dig up his name if you want) seemed like a good guy, and a straight shooter.   They were willing to make a pretty nice deal in early February, have to believe it is at least as good now for a serious buyer.   They also had a demo red/white one.

5 minutes ago, JeffC said:

I looked a this one in some detail.   Guy I was talking to (sure I could dig up his name if you want) seemed like a good guy, and a straight shooter.   They were willing to make a pretty nice deal in early February, have to believe it is at least as good now for a serious buyer.   They also had a demo red/white one.

With a $138 sticker, best he's probably gonna do is $96 for smoking deal.

17 hours ago, hethj7 said:

If I know the Bu crew, you will have a whole army shopping for you :)

http://stateamind.com/listings/2016-malibu-22-vlx/

http://stateamind.com/listings/2016-malibu-vlx-white/

Both of these are sold.  Stateamind is our dealer as well and we stay in touch often.  I wish they would update their site more often.  We were interested in the white/silver flake and a family member bought the blue/white one.  They had a black/blue combo last I talked to them but I don't see it on the site anymore.

Can't help with why the Malibu is more than the Tige.  But from my experience wakeboarding behind these two brands wakes, the Tige is peaky and powerful, which i like, but less forgiving for beginners/novice.  I think with the TAPs and ballast you can adjust this a little.  The Malibu wake is more round and forgiving, and takes a bit more weight/ballast to get the power/punch behind the wake.

I'd agree with the guys here about the malibu interior being a bit nicer and better constructed.

I'm not gonna lie, I love Tige boats. Was behind a Z3 last year and it was amazing. Interior felt just as nice as most Malibu's in terms or fit/finish and quality of materials. My 2 favourite brands are tige and malibu and you wont go wrong with either boat. 

I can't speak to the Tige wake, but a friend that usually rides Nautique was at first disappointed in the Malibu wake with it's softer ramps behind my LSV.  After a few wedge/ballast adjustments, he smiled and said to save the current settings as "Nautique" as a preset as he was very happy with how the steepness increased. 

So I happen to have quite a few friends with tiges and have wake boarded and surfed behind an rz2 and ASR.  The Tiges surf very well, outside the ASR, tend to have steep lippy surf waves easy to setup. That being said my VLX is still the favorite wave for everyone to ride, and on their powell trip last year the LSV was the favorite, they had 2 tiges there also.  Malibu surf waves tend to have  a little more push with surfgate, but are harder to get that strong lip tige wakes get, haven't ridden an tiges with surf system though, have heard good things though.

Wake board wake the malibus are hands down better, except the asr.  I'd say the ASR is slightly better than my wakeboard wake, but it's just a wakeboard boat and surfs like crap.  The issue with tige wakes is they don't handle weight very well, where malibu wakes love them.  They are steep peaky wakes like nautique, but lack the punch of nautique wakes.  When you really throw weight at them they curl due to the deep V hull.  They really don't have the ability to become great wakes.  I can throw 4000+ pounds of ballast at my BU and that wake gets scary big and peaky. 

Fit and finish malibu hands down is better.  Also tige really is behind the times in inovation.  They tend to follow the crowd a little late on new inovations, where nautique and malibu lead the way.  The bu is wider and holds more people for similar sized models, they tend to feel better put together to me also.  Nice thing abotu tige is they really have done well with their sound systems over the last few years.  Malibu is just now catching up there, not that it matters to me because I put my own systems in anyways.

In the end tiges are good boats that surf awesome, aren't great wakeboarding boats(outside the asr) but the price difference is there for a reason. Malibus are nicer IMO. I honestly don't think you'd be upset with a tige though.  The tige is a really good lower priced sirf boat, the malibu is a higher priced do everything well boat.

No way to compare the ASR, which is the worst Tige surf boat in 10 years, to the Z1 and absolutely no way to compare a boat with the AVX to a boat with the TAPS-3 delayed convergence principal surf system. 

3 hours ago, CJAY said:

Also tige really is behind the times in inovation. 

I find this funny, considering Tige released the surf remote one model year ahead of Malibu 

3 hours ago, CJAY said:

The bu is wider and holds more people for similar sized models,

Both models have a 102 beam and rated for 14 people. The 22 is 5" longer in advertised length though. 

3 hours ago, CJAY said:

The issue with tige wakes is they don't handle weight very well,

Really? Seems funny considering the amount of 1200-1400 lb custom sacs that get installed year after year in tige boats. 

15 minutes ago, MLA said:

Really? Seems funny considering the amount of 1200-1400 lb custom sacs that get installed year after year in tige boats. 

pretty sure he's talking about for wakeboarding.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

No way to compare the ASR, which is the worst Tige surf boat in 10 years, to the Z1 and absolutely no way to compare a boat with the AVX to a boat with the TAPS-3 delayed convergence principal surf system. 

I find this funny, considering Tige released the surf remote one model year ahead of Malibu 

Both models have a 102 beam and rated for 14 people. The 22 is 5" longer in advertised length though. 

I second everything said, totally agree

Options of note:

-Rear facing camera

-Heater

-Surf Bimini

-Dealer added PNP

-Dealer added surfpipe

-Rev 8's on the tower.  If I am not mistaken the rev 8's are an upgrade over the icon 8's.  I would almost rather have the icons as I am not a huge fan of HLCD speakers.  Would I be crazy to ask for that?  

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

A deposit is down on a nicely loaded 2017 22 VLX.  I am pretty excited!

Congrats!  Great looking boat.  You are going to love the VLX.   We had the best season ever last year once we switched over to a Bu!

Just now, ctvandy23 said:

Congrats!  Great looking boat.  You are going to love the VLX.   We had the best season ever last year once we switched over to a Bu!

Where did you come from(boat wise)?