Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige Z1 vs 22VLX

Lees23

What's the price difference?

i don't much about the Tige, but

id say the 22vlx has a better look, PW2, surf gate, the Dash (best in the biz imho, Nautique a close 2nd with their new screen)

The New BU vinyl I was very impressed with as well

How's the dealer network for both in your area?

i don't ever see tige in NorCal for the most part, so Re-sale would be a factor for me.

power wedge 2 with lift mode gets you on plane when loaded up surfing really well, also is great for shaping your wakeboarding wake.

call me a fanboy if you want . It's a Tige... Vlx is proven imho,

If you're comparing the z1 and vlx I would take the Malibu any day, it's just much bigger inside and a little more luxurious. For a fare comparison size wise, I would go check out the rz2. 

This is a Malibu site of course, but I agree with the others that if you sit in both you'll see the difference.  

The Z1 is a nice boat, but it's definitely smaller in the cabin area than the 22VLX.  I just sat in one at the boat show a few weeks back.  In terms of performance the Z1 surfs very well, but the 22VLX is no slouch and the 22VLX will certainly wakeboard better, although that's a small concern for you.  

I'd go 22VLX over the Z1 because outside of surfing it will do everything better than the Z1 and even on surfing they're going to be close.  Tige has some really nice boats now, but the Z1 isn't their best offering IMO.  I think the VLX will be a better performer all around and you'll enjoy your chill time on the water more.   How about local dealers?  As people always say, that makes a big difference in your boat ownership experience.

Unfortunately both dealers are 2 hrs away.  The Malibu dealer is on the way to a lake I frequent.  The only local inboard dealer is a MC dealer.  

I have been in a Z3 and 23 LSV quite a bit, I like both boats.  

I get thie this is a Malibu website and I expect (and want)biased opinions, that's why I asked why the vlx is better.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I like the Z3 a lot better than the Z1 due to the cabin size.  Cabin wise I would say the 22VLX and the Z3 feel almost the same to me.  Z1 feels like a 20' boat to me.  (My first Malibu was a 20' VTX)

The Z3 really surfs nice, I haven't been behind a Z1.  I think you'll find the 22VLX isn't nearly as finicky to setup and if you have regular and goofy riders it's easier to go back and forth with the Malibu.  Again, Z3 is a little tougher to get dialed in, so I imagine the Z1 is really similar.

The vlx is 96,2 at dealers rock bottom price.  Pretty standard equipment.  Base motor, one set of icon 8's, transom lights g3.5 all PNP ballast(dealer added). 

Sound reasonable?

34 minutes ago, tjklein said:

I like the Z3 a lot better than the Z1 due to the cabin size.  Cabin wise I would say the 22VLX and the Z3 feel almost the same to me.  Z1 feels like a 20' boat to me.  (My first Malibu was a 20' VTX)

The Z3 really surfs nice, I haven't been behind a Z1.  I think you'll find the 22VLX isn't nearly as finicky to setup and if you have regular and goofy riders it's easier to go back and forth with the Malibu.  Again, Z3 is a little tougher to get dialed in, so I imagine the Z1 is really similar.

I certainly believe you but that's weird to me. One of the reasons I was drawn to the Tige is the dimensions(I have never been in one).  It is listed as 21'6" and a 102" beam.  

28 minutes ago, Lees23 said:

I certainly believe you but that's weird to me. One of the reasons I was drawn to the Tige is the dimensions(I have never been in one).  It is listed as 21'6" and a 102" beam.  

Tige makes very small interior spaces on their boats, you compare any one of their boats to the exact same size in a Malibu or even Nautique and it will feel a lot smaller. 

@tjklein Have you been on a new one with the taps 3 surf system? Everyone I've talked to has said it has made things very easy to set up. Tiges puts out a massive surf wave and will actually be pretty economical when it comes to fuel because of the convex v haul design. Although it puts out a massive surf wave, it's definitely a different type of wave, just the shape and where the push is, most non tige people do not like it.  Demo them both and see for yourself. 

With everything said above the Malibu has a much nicer comfort and finish level, which would make me go with a bu.

1 minute ago, Cole2001 said:

Tige makes very small interior spaces on their boats, you compare any one of their boats to the exact same size in a Malibu or even Nautique and it will feel a lot smaller. 

@tjklein Have you been on a new one with the taps 3 surf system? Everyone I've talked to has said it has made things very easy to set up. Tiges puts out a massive surf wave and will actually be pretty economical when it comes to fuel because of the convex v haul design. Although it puts out a massive surf wave, it's definitely a different type of wave, just the shape and where the push is, most non tige people do not like it.  Demo them both and see for yourself. 

With everything said above the Malibu has a much nicer comfort and finish level, which would make me go with a bu.

I haven't been in the newest ones.  My friend's Tige was a 2014 which I believe was before TAPS 3, but I'm no Tige expert. Everything I've read says they're great surf boats now.  I demoed Mastercraft, Natuique, Supra, and Malibu last fall.  Tige wasn't really on my radar because the price was too similar to Supra and Malibu and they seemed a step below.  Good boats, but just not my cup of tea.  Just my personal opinion on them.

1 hour ago, Lees23 said:

The vlx is 96,2 at dealers rock bottom price.  Pretty standard equipment.  Base motor, one set of icon 8's, transom lights g3.5 all PNP ballast(dealer added). 

Sound reasonable?

No huge changes for 2017-  Wetsounds stereo and new base on G3.5.  I would also check out 2016 holdovers as well.  I personally would look to get 2016 VLX and close the price gap between the VLX and Tige and feel good about my decision.  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

No huge changes for 2017-  Wetsounds stereo and new base on G3.5.  I would also check out 2016 holdovers as well.  I personally would look to get 2016 VLX and close the price gap between the VLX and Tige and feel good about my decision.  

I would love to find a 16 but I think hey are so popular they are few and far between.  The one I have found are a color that is not acceptable.