Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Recommendation DD Wakesetter

BusterSaunders

Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation for a prop. 2002 Wakesetter with 325 Monsoon Engine, Direct Drive. I would say the boat will be mostly for wakeboarding, like 90%. I would like to be able to pull the occasional slalom skier and maybe get my month pull barefooting. Ya know, just to prove I still got it.

I suspect I'm looking at either the ACME 515 (13x12) or 525 (13x11.5). I dont plan of surfing so I guess I can rule out the 911. Can anyone provide feedback on this setup? 

Thanks

Edited by BusterSaunders

I currently have a cast 13x13 stainless prop that sucks in my opinion. Plus is has a ding in it which gives the boat a little shimmy. Drives me nuts

Edited by BusterSaunders
18 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

If you plan on sacking your boat with weight for wakeboarding, use acme 1235. I basically have the same hull, SV23. The 1235 is probably good for 2000-2500 lbs. 

1235 is a V-Drive prop right? I have a direct drive. 

2 minutes ago, BusterSaunders said:

1235 is a V-Drive prop right? I have a direct drive. 

I dont think that makes a difference. If you go to wakemakers.com and go to the prop section, they have a guide for weight, elevation and all the other good stuff. V-Drive is just the placement of the motor. I had a acme 381 originally, than swapped to 1235, I felt like it made a better wave, and eliminated some porpoising ( bow bouncing up and down) even before I installed 1500lbs of ballast. Keep your old prop for an emergency.

2 hours ago, Choiceind said:

I dont think that makes a difference. If you go to wakemakers.com and go to the prop section, they have a guide for weight, elevation and all the other good stuff. V-Drive is just the placement of the motor. I had a acme 381 originally, than swapped to 1235, I felt like it made a better wave, and eliminated some porpoising ( bow bouncing up and down) even before I installed 1500lbs of ballast. Keep your old prop for an emergency.

It does make a difference.  V-drives have gear reduction like 1.5:1, which require larger diameter higher pitch props.  DD's have no gear reduction (1:1).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MadMan said:

It does make a difference.  V-drives have gear reduction like 1.5:1, which require larger diameter higher pitch props.  DD's have no gear reduction (1:1).

Thanks for MadMan, thats good info. Totally forgot about the gear ratio.

• Like 1

Is it going to be heavily loaded wake tractor most of the time?  515

Is it going to be used to cruise, pull tubes, and wakeboard with mostly just crew weight and light ballast plus wedge?  525

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Is it going to be heavily loaded wake tractor most of the time?  515

Is it going to be used to cruise, pull tubes, and wakeboard with mostly just crew weight and light ballast plus wedge?  525

other way around right? I though the 515 was all around, 525 was for heavy weight and the 911 for surf weight. I wont be putting too much weight in. Maybe the wedge + 1000lbs if I dont have many riders

Edited by BusterSaunders
4 hours ago, BusterSaunders said:

other way around right? I though the 515 was all around, 525 was for heavy weight and the 911 for surf weight. I wont be putting too much weight in. Maybe the wedge + 1000lbs if I dont have many riders

Oops!  You're right. 

• Like 1